Hello there! Don't know where to start

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2015, 09:26 AM
RE: Hello there! Don't know where to start
This is also a thread with wonderful resources. You're sure to find something that you can relate to here...

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...m-Religion

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2015, 11:33 AM
Welcome,

It's hard to give up on a dream simply because it's a comfort and easily called upon. This is why it's hard for you to stop praying to a god that isn't there. The other reason is because you want it to be true. You want god to be real.

This is the issue with millions of people who know god isn't really real but want him to be so. It's easy to pass the work of living a good and just life off to some omnipotent being. You set them up with a set of morals (ones you actually created in the first place) and then defer to him in all or most things. It's scapegoating so 1. You don't have to accept the responsibility for your actions (gods will) and 2. If something goes wrong you have someone else to blame (god works in mysterious ways). It's wishful thinking. You want it so much you can't give it up.

Taking responsibility is a lot of work. You must claim ownership of the good people do, which is easy but you must also claim the bad which is harder to accept and understand. Having a skydaddy to do that for you is your out. It means we are what we are good, bad or indifferent. That's a lot to accept when you've been taught to be a follower (sheep).

I have never believed. I never bought into it, just couldn't. The stories and propaganda set off my BS meter from a very young age. My parents weren't really religious so I wasn't indoctrinated into this fantasy. I can't imagine having that mindset, a lead weight by my observations. Since I haven't had to free myself from that I may not be the best to advise but for what it's worth here's my 2cents.

There is nothing we have found in nature that cannot be explained by nature itself. There has never been any evidence of a supernature or the supernatural. If there was everyone would know about it. We are taught from an early age what is fantasy; unicorns, leprechauns, dragons, magic and what is real. Except for gods.

Some ancient gods are played down like Thor, Zeus and such but at one time, though it's hard for us to comprehend, these gods were very real to people. They worshiped and idolized them absolutely, loved them, sacrificed people to appease them. We see that and think "it was long ago" or "it's exaggerated" but it's fact. The books of religion are stories that early ignorant man wrote to analogize life and lessons and words to live by. If they wrote on how to build a shack from mud and sand would we use that in this day and age to build our homes? No, because it's archaic and we've learned and grown since then. Well, we've learned and grown since then about gods too but we keep them around because the idea of god as our protector is comforting and humans are frightened.

We don't know many things, that's scary, we are afraid of death, also scary, we are afraid of our own fellow humans and the horrible things they are capable of, that's very scary. The idea of gods offer comfort, they offer redemption and they offer justice in an unjust world. This is why they are so hard to give up. The have power we do not have in a world where power is all that survives.

It is my logical opinion that if I were a god and wanted people to know me I would make myself known, my wishes clear in a way everyone would know and be sure I was their god. No religion does this. They are all shrouded in secrecy, mysticism and dead languages. Also, if I wanted a god I would want one that was as least as moral as I was. I would not worship a god that allowed war, starvation, rape, children with cancer, torture, murder. I would not follow a man like this, why would I follow a god who could, by his all powerful definition, create such a horrendous world. If you would create people just to watch them treat each other so horribly then I would be very concerned about you.

I am open to anything that can stand the test of empirical evidence, repeatable sustainable tests that something is real, verifiable and logical. If at sometime in the future a god shows up and can prove itself to me according to the rules of the scientific method, then I will be happy to consider it. Until then, there is no evidence to support gods ever existed or will ever exists, so I remain an atheist.

Live your one life to the best of your ability. Find love, cherish others, do good in the world, be fair, teach justice, kindness and empathy. These are good and ethical ideals to be your best person. No gods required.

Heatheness Smile

(30-11-2015 05:21 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  I'm just going to get right down to it. This is kind of my introduction post.

How can I stop expecting God to answer my prayers? He hasn't been for all my Christian life. I never felt his presence. I don't believe that he's there. So why do I keep waiting for my prayers to be answered? I don't really pray by myself. When my dad prays with me before bed I then get my hopes up that God will answer my prayers but God never does. So I get my hopes up only to be crushed. How can I stop this from happening? Just don't expect anything? Keep in mind that I've been in the faith for my whole life. I'm just now realizing that God doesn't answer prayers. But then why do I expect him to? Is it because I used to believe that he would? How can I get rid of that? That's what I'm going through right now. I would like to stop believing altogether because I know in my heart that God isn't real.

I hope that any of you would have some insight. How long did it take you to figure out to stop expecting an answer to prayer?

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 3 users Like Heatheness's post
08-12-2015, 05:56 PM
Welcome!

Oh wait, I haven't done the intro thing myself yet...well, that's kinda like Terry Pratchet's retrograde seeds...plant this season and harvest last year.

Something for my to-do list. I don't have one of those yet either. Something else for my to-do list, then....

But welcome anyway!

Larry

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" -Epicurus (341-270B.C.E.)
[+] 1 user Likes larry-new's post
08-12-2015, 08:06 PM
Yay! You're here. SmileHeartSmileHeartSmile

(08-12-2015 05:56 PM)larry-new Wrote:  Welcome!

Oh wait, I haven't done the intro thing myself yet...well, that's kinda like Terry Pratchet's retrograde seeds...plant this season and harvest last year.

Something for my to-do list. I don't have one of those yet either. Something else for my to-do list, then....

But welcome anyway!

Larry

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]