Hello there.. I'm Cypher

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2017, 12:14 PM
Hello there.. I'm Cypher
I'm Cypher, Yes I'm Christian since birth in fact and also a sufferer of cerebral palsy
a form known as diplegia.. For this reason I struggle to reconcile belief with a omnipotent and omnibenevolent God.

So I developed a germ of an idea.. This whole idea of God as an omnibenevolent and omnipotent is wrong, instead doubtless you've heard of the idea of Imago Dei or God forming humans in his own image (Genesis 1:26-27 I believe)

Got me thinking.. What kind of image?
Are we a physical projection of God?
A mental projection?
A psychological projection?
Or perhaps a behavioural projection?

I think personally, it is a mixture of mental and behavioural with psychological

Consider this:
Yes every human being has unique characteristics
Some characteristics are shared by all
Like the capacity to make mistakes Big Grin

If we're created in Imago Dei and we make mistakes (just forget original sin for a minute) as we're (in my eyes) a psychological and behavioural projection of God
then.. God CAN MAKE MISTAKES Thumbsup

This obviously leads to omnipotence, omnibenevolence and omniscience and the inconsistent triad theory (That is, due to suffering, God cannot possess all three qualities stated above)

So with that in mind.. My personal view shows God as being omnibenevolent and omniscient but NOT omnipotent (otherwise I'd been born without disability)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2017, 12:21 PM
RE: Hello there.. I'm Cypher
(09-01-2017 12:14 PM)Cypher44 Wrote:  I'm Cypher, Yes I'm Christian since birth in fact and also a sufferer of cerebral palsy
a form known as diplegia.. For this reason I struggle to reconcile belief with a omnipotent and omnibenevolent God.

So I developed a germ of an idea.. This whole idea of God as an omnibenevolent and omnipotent is wrong, instead doubtless you've heard of the idea of Imago Dei or God forming humans in his own image (Genesis 1:26-27 I believe)

Got me thinking.. What kind of image?
Are we a physical projection of God?
A mental projection?
A psychological projection?
Or perhaps a behavioural projection?

I think personally, it is a mixture of mental and behavioural with psychological

Consider this:
Yes every human being has unique characteristics
Some characteristics are shared by all
Like the capacity to make mistakes Big Grin

If we're created in Imago Dei and we make mistakes (just forget original sin for a minute) as we're (in my eyes) a psychological and behavioural projection of God
then.. God CAN MAKE MISTAKES Thumbsup

This obviously leads to omnipotence, omnibenevolence and omniscience and the inconsistent triad theory (That is, due to suffering, God cannot possess all three qualities stated above)

So with that in mind.. My personal view shows God as being omnibenevolent and omniscient but NOT omnipotent (otherwise I'd been born without disability)

Welcome.

This is your welcome thread, so we won't argue the points you made here. Do feel free to start a discussion elsewhere though.

I have quite a few things to say about what you wrote, so I hope you will make another post soon.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-01-2017, 12:23 PM
Welcome
09-01-2017, 12:26 PM
Yeh I'm sorry for the long explanation Dom but uh.. I guess I should've just said "hi"
09-01-2017, 12:36 PM
Welcome Cypher, to TTA.

Nice bit of analysis there. Ignoring what I consider to be a false premise, I like the way you came up with the conclusion.

DLJ
(Marxist since birth)

09-01-2017, 12:43 PM
Welcome.

As for god being omnibenevolent - Big Grin

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
09-01-2017, 12:45 PM
(09-01-2017 12:36 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Welcome Cypher, to TTA.

Nice bit of analysis there. Ignoring what I consider to be a false premise, I like the way you came up with the conclusion.

DLJ
(Marxist since birth)

I didn't know you were a Marxist....

Do you lean more towards Harpo or Zippo????

Big Grin

And - Hi Cypher!!

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
09-01-2017, 12:53 PM
Welcome!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
09-01-2017, 01:04 PM
Howdy!

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
09-01-2017, 01:06 PM
Welcome, yes the problem of evil/suffering brings many to question the religious belief they were brought up in.

I had a spine issue which I was born with, asked god for help, received nothing but silence.

It was the start, just a start of questioning, until I eventually realized that I couldn't possibly reconcile these stories in the bible with science and apologists were liars in the business of making excuses for a failed religion that can't even provide help for the suffering in the world, only excuses why we're at fault, but their god never takes the blame.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition