Hello to All

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Hello to All
Hi.

I've been an Atheist for the last 30 years and I am from Texas. Until recently, I have been pretty quiet about my lack of belief and shared it with very few. However, within about the last 5 years I have decided to become a bit more vocal - especially when I hear Xtians espouse the moral superiority of religion or the moral inferiority of the non-religious (i.e., Atheists).

I guess why I am here is that I recently interjected a few facts about the Bible into a debate being held between family and friends. On one side was an Atheist and on the other side was a Christian - and they were drinking beer and debating everything from "Does God exist" to "Do Atheists understand Morality" and so on. I chose not to participate in the debate, for I knew that no one there was going to be convinced one way or another no matter what was said. Debates are not Dialectics: argument may occur in a Debate but, unlike a Dialectic, finding the actual truth is not the real purpose of a Debate and so most people walk out of a Debate with the same beliefs with which they arrived no matter how skilled the orator (at least this has been my experience over the last 30 years).

That's right, I did not participate in the Debate, EXCEPT.....every now and then I would ask for 20 seconds to clear up the Christian's misconception of Christianity via Biblical reference - and then I would say nothing more. For example, the Christian said that Atheists could not know morality, and I referenced Genesis and Eve's eating from the tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. Later the Christian talks about the mercy of Jesus and I bring up the nature of Hell via the Gospels....and so on and so on. Each time I would just bring up the Biblical Passage and refuse to elaborate or defend - I'd just say read the Bible. It really stymied the Christian debater and Christian listeners. Ya' see...most Christians don't know what's in the Bible and they don't really want to find out. So, if you throw the wickedness and stupidity of the Bible in their faces, it shuts then down pretty fast - especially if you refuse to argue - just make your point like a "Sniper" and refuse to engage further.

It was effective. I even got a call from a Christian cousin who wanted to know how I knew so much about the Bible (he had actually gone home and confirmed what I said). I just told him I read it...and said nothing more. Then...I realized - I remembered - that this is how I got deconverted 30 years ago!

An Atheist Chemistry Professor and I were discussing religion 30 years ago and he had done the same thing to me! I had applied a technique on me and afterwards, I did the research on my own and, sure enough, found out what he said was right. Afterwards, I deconverted myself. Amazing that I should remember after all these years.

Anyways, just wanted to share this with you. Hope it helps.

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Julius's post
31-05-2012, 11:22 AM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2012 11:26 AM by Vosur.)
RE: Hello to All
That was a very well written introduction, I enjoyed reading it. Welcome to the board!
Quote:Ya' see...most Christians don't know what's in the Bible and they don't really want to find out. So, if you throw the wickedness and stupidity of the Bible in their faces, it shuts then down pretty fast - especially if you refuse to argue - just make your point like a "Sniper" and refuse to engage further.
I can confirm this, both from my experience with religious people and myself, back when I was a Christian. I didn't know what was written in the Bible either, yet now as an Atheist I do. Isn't that ironic? Big Grin

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
31-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Sounds like you're doing pretty good, I also am not too big on debating though I do see the purpose/ I have other things to debate first so I leave religion to the bin of things I' like to be able to avoid. When it comes up I generally make sure it's a conversation not a debate because I don't want to hear someone's highly off mark view of reality that they'll defend to the death.

The odd thing about humans is that there are all sorts of them. Each type of action is a way to reach different groups. I do debate and give heated discussions on trans issues and make sure that people get the right information, but my most detested thing about some atheistic debating is when it's moving onto purely pchological things where a theist and atheist are debating unprovables. I seriously don't care what your view on something unfounded is, you shouldn't be pushing it as somethig everyone should share if you can't give a serious reason.

I have knowledge and I have desires I debate with knowledge and discuss desires. Nothing in the realm of theism is in a brand of knowledge. I have knowledge about the many claims throughout history, but I don't have knowledge on the overarching theories. I might sometimes discuss people's books or a certain action that is performed, but most of the atheist theist debates are discussing nothing that can really be learned from as they yell at eachother over who has the brains.

Hope you stay and enjoy the forum we have some interesting discussions and can always use the sideline commentators who discuss when people make a fallacious statement,

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
31-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Welcome to the forum.

I look forward to your future contributions.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
31-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Welcome welcome, I'm watching you from behind some creepy bushes.

[Image: 30078944.jpg]

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Welcome from a relatively new Texan.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
31-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Hi from another Texan! There are some good Atheist, Freethinker, and Skeptic groups in the state!

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.
31-05-2012, 09:34 PM
(31-05-2012 12:14 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Welcome welcome, I'm watching you from behind some creepy bushes.

[Image: 30078944.jpg]
I'm watching Lucradis watch you. Glad you're here so he'll be more distracted.
[Image: creepyclown.jpg]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
01-06-2012, 12:18 AM
Welcome to the madhouse that is TTA! Smile

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
01-06-2012, 04:25 AM