Hello to all

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Hello to all
Just a quick note to say hello, and to say first I am a Christian, and was directed here by a brother.

I have looked at a few of the bible refutations and have to say, somebody has certainly been thinking, that is for sure. I don't profess to be one that can change minds, I do not attempt to, but, I will say that I find it very interesting to speak to those that proudly claim the name of atheist, so I am here more out of curiosity than anything.

Hope you guys won't go too hard on me,

S.T.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-08-2011, 09:11 PM
RE: Hello to all
Welcome ST. Glad to have you!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
29-08-2011, 10:22 PM

Basic facts: raised Catholic/Christian - evolved to skeptic, tried to suspend disbelief and accept the doctrine, but cognitive dissonance was overwhelming. Decided I should be agnostic, since Atheists have faith there is no God. Later decided there was no difference, if I don't believe there is a God, so I assent to the normative definition of "Atheist."

I mean, though Huxley defined it in religious terms, agnostic has a direct meaning of lacking knowledge, and the fact is that other than tautology that covers everything.

Of course I am a lawyer... who else would say such things? Retired, though, so I claim exemption.

Plan to enjoy the site!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2011, 05:44 AM
(29-08-2011 09:11 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Welcome ST. Glad to have you!

Thank you, Stark, I am glad to be here.

S.T.
30-08-2011, 05:57 AM
Welcome to the other side, make yourself at home, and don't forget friday is bingo night Big Grin
But in all seriousness, welcome.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
30-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Welcome!
Anyone in for some freshly grilled baby? If there's enough of you I can fire up the BBQ.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
30-08-2011, 04:34 PM
Hey there, as far as trying not to have people go too hard try not to discuss too many things in one thread. with the sheer amount of us you'll have to expect a lot of work reading through the replies.

I like this site because people here are generally very well spoken, though can sometimes still be aggressive.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
04-09-2011, 04:41 PM
(29-08-2011 10:22 PM)cwcrosby42 Wrote:  Basic facts: raised Catholic/Christian - evolved to skeptic, tried to suspend disbelief and accept the doctrine, but cognitive dissonance was overwhelming.

I reserve suspension of disbelief for when I go to the cinema. That's Hollywood's purview.

(29-08-2011 10:22 PM)cwcrosby42 Wrote:  Decided I should be agnostic, since Atheists have faith there is no God. Later decided there was no difference, if I don't believe there is a God, so I assent to the normative definition of "Atheist."

Not all of us here believe there is no God. I, for example, believe there is a God and it is us.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.