Hello to all

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2013, 10:26 PM
Hello to all
Well, to make a long story short, I am a 26 year old atheist who was raised catholic in a small ultra catholic country in El Salvador. I officially became catholic around the age of 3 months when I was baptized at my hell-fearing grandma’s request. My parents had never been very religious, my mom coming from a non practicing Muslim family and my dad a deconverted catholic but obsessively caught up in an Indian guru cult he joined in the 70’s.

I tried hard to believe in my catholic days, I would even make my parents take me to church rather than vice versa.

But around the age of 12 or 13 I began to realize I didn't really believe the things I was being told. I really couldn't tell you how I came to stop believing - it was more or less that one day I just realized I didn't believe anymore.

I remember little moments where I realized I wasn't agreeing with the dominant dogma - in the 5th grade a teacher gave a brief overview of evolution and the big bang and I just thought "Well that makes sense" while the other kids were saying "No! God did it!" When the other kids would agree in chorus that abortion was wrong but I found it hard to accept that women should face injury/death when a safe procedure was available (abortion is illegal in ALL cases in that country), etc.

While I realized I didn't believe anymore at a pretty early age, it took me several years to come to terms with it. Not until I was in college was I able to come out and say it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like CrimeSceneShoe's post
04-10-2013, 12:09 AM
RE: Hello to all
Welcome Smile
04-10-2013, 03:02 AM
Welcome.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-10-2013, 01:28 PM
ES : Bienvenido o Bienvenida en el foro (no sé si tú eres un hombre o una mujer).

Translation : Welcome (masculin form in the Spanish text) or Welcome (feminin form in the Spanish text) to the forum. (I don't know if you're a man or a woman).
04-10-2013, 01:31 PM
Welcome aboard Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
04-10-2013, 02:35 PM
Salutations! I say "Salutations" to covey to others that I'm unique & special. Cool
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-10-2013, 03:10 PM
Thank you all Smile

(04-10-2013 01:28 PM)viocjit Wrote:  ES : Bienvenido o Bienvenida en el foro (no sé si tú eres un hombre o una mujer).

Soy una mujer Smile

"No gods, no masters."
-Margaret Sanger

Peace is not the absence of war but the presence of justice.

If you want to be a language policeman, I suggest you find yourself in a George Orwell novel.
05-10-2013, 01:26 AM
I like that even though you may not have been a part of the majority in thinking, you were still allowed and able to learn the concepts. Education and information is a key.

Welcome!
06-10-2013, 01:35 PM
Glad to have you here and all, but...anyone who say the Big Bang makes sense, doesn't understand it properly. Wink