Hello to all

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2017, 12:35 PM
Hello to all
I am exploring atheism, after a life time of Christianity and New Age. Well, by life time I mean 23 years. I am not anti-theist, I respect spirituality/religion but I just don't think it's for me anymore(e.g. I personally don't believe in it). So I am here to make new friends, learn new things, and find my new path.

I didn't know what else to read so I bought Dawkin's The God Delusion. Any other books you guys would recommend for a new atheist? Not necessarily against the Christian god, I am more interested in reading against all religions in general...

Thanks for having me here. Smile P.s. I am not a debater as I have this image in my head many atheists are... (please correct me if that's wrong, I am new to this), I just interested in truth and following that...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like hayleymayonline's post
18-03-2017, 01:01 PM
RE: Hello to all
(18-03-2017 12:35 PM)hayleymayonline Wrote:  ---
I didn't know what else to read so I bought Dawkin's The God Delusion. Any other books you guys would recommend for a new atheist? Not necessarily against the Christian god, I am more interested in reading against all religions in general...
---

I highly recommend Christopher Hitchens' God Is Not Great.

If you want to have it read to you, Audible.com has it available read by Hitchens' himself. It doesn't get much better than that. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
18-03-2017, 01:01 PM
Hey there Smile

In my experience most atheists just get on with life. There's a few of us that enjoy a good debate, and I think they are generally drawn to forums so they show up in greater density.

But there's no need to join in any debate to enjoy a forum such as this!

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
18-03-2017, 01:06 PM
Welcome!
18-03-2017, 01:14 PM (This post was last modified: 18-03-2017 02:12 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(18-03-2017 12:35 PM)hayleymayonline Wrote:  I didn't know what else to read so I bought Dawkin's The God Delusion. Any other books you guys would recommend for a new atheist?

Welcome.

The God Delusion also got me started as an atheist in 2006, but since then I've read a fair number of other atheist books. I found God, The Failed Hypothesis by Victor Stenger the most helpful, but The Quotable Atheist edited by Jack Huberman covers a lot of ground quickly and is fun to read.

Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
18-03-2017, 01:35 PM
(18-03-2017 12:35 PM)hayleymayonline Wrote:  I didn't know what else to read so I bought Dawkin's The God Delusion.

Welcome.

I am sorry you read such a poor quality author. His prose is a nightmare.

Hitchens was a far better author. If you wish to read a book that tramples on religions, his is very good.

I would recommend you forget religion though. Ask people here about good scientific works on subjects such as biology and evolution. Many here are a good source.

Good luck. Thumbsup

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
18-03-2017, 01:40 PM
(18-03-2017 12:35 PM)hayleymayonline Wrote:  I am exploring atheism, after a life time of Christianity and New Age. Well, by life time I mean 23 years. I am not anti-theist, I respect spirituality/religion but I just don't think it's for me anymore(e.g. I personally don't believe in it). So I am here to make new friends, learn new things, and find my new path.

Thanks for having me here. Smile P.s. I am not a debater as I have this image in my head many atheists are... (please correct me if that's wrong, I am new to this), I just interested in truth and following that...

I would always recommend Carl Sagan....

I would also likely give him a BJ if he were still alive.....

OH and Welcome! I don't think you should ever feel obligated to debate anyone. That's a personal choice, and you're a free person Smile

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
18-03-2017, 02:54 PM
Welcome to TTA, hayleymay Shy

No worries; we'll have ya disrespecting certain religions, and spirituality, in no time. Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
18-03-2017, 03:53 PM
(18-03-2017 12:35 PM)hayleymayonline Wrote:  I am exploring atheism, after a life time of Christianity and New Age. Well, by life time I mean 23 years. I am not anti-theist, I respect spirituality/religion but I just don't think it's for me anymore(e.g. I personally don't believe in it). So I am here to make new friends, learn new things, and find my new path.

Welcome to the forum.

Exploring atheism is going to be a short trip. "I don't believe in God." Wow. That was dull. Atheism is about the single least important thing you can know about me.

But being an atheist means that you don't have any doctrine, scrpiture, carved stone tablets, or rules from the AllMighty. That means that you can be pretty much anything and that exploration is a good deal more interesting.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
18-03-2017, 04:09 PM (This post was last modified: 18-03-2017 05:20 PM by kim.)
(18-03-2017 01:40 PM)JesseB Wrote:  --
I would always recommend Carl Sagan....

I would also likely give him a BJ if he were still alive.....
---

Oh crap! How could this slip my mind? !!

Please DO read: Deamon Haunted World by Dr Sagan Heart

Appreciative expression is of course optional but uh... pretty much, yep. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post