Hello to all

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2017, 04:15 PM
RE: Hello to all
(18-03-2017 04:09 PM)kim Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 01:40 PM)JesseB Wrote:  --
I would always recommend Carl Sagan....

I would also likely give him a BJ if he were still alive.....
---

Oh crap! How could this slip my mind? !!

Please DO read: Deamon Haunted World by Dr Sagan Heart

Appreciative expression is of course optional but uh... pretty much, yep. Wink

I love that book so much! I'm reading it right now even.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
18-03-2017, 05:18 PM (This post was last modified: 18-03-2017 05:47 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(18-03-2017 03:53 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Exploring atheism is going to be a short trip. "I don't believe in God." Wow. That was dull.

It depends. Since I didn't become an atheist until I was 50, I had a lot of bad ideas to sort through, and reading helped me a lot.

Further, I think many atheists underestimate the amount of scientific information and philosophical ideas people need to learn to help protect them from religious notions.

Undecided
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
18-03-2017, 05:44 PM
(18-03-2017 05:18 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  --
Further, I think many atheists underestimate the amount of scientific information and philosophical ideas people need to learn to help protect them from religious notions.
--

I concur. Thumbsup

So much information and that's on top of the struggle of dealing with the whole social/familial mindfuck.

I also think there is a lot of information that atheists could brush up on ... things we all too often take for granted. Dodgy

DLJ said something a long time ago ... in a thread far far away, red shift wise ...

It was something akin to: today's theist might be tomorrow's atheist.
I want to also think it may have been: today's atheist was yesterday's theist.

Fuck Consider not even sure anymore, but the concept has always stuck with me.

It's a good rule of thumb, especially with the newly deconverting. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
18-03-2017, 09:28 PM
(18-03-2017 12:35 PM)hayleymayonline Wrote:  I am exploring atheism, after a life time of Christianity and New Age. Well, by life time I mean 23 years. I am not anti-theist, I respect spirituality/religion but I just don't think it's for me anymore(e.g. I personally don't believe in it). So I am here to make new friends, learn new things, and find my new path.

Ahh. Fresh meat Evil_monster
(cough)
I mean: Welcome! Smile

Quote:I didn't know what else to read so I bought Dawkin's The God Delusion. Any other books you guys would recommend for a new atheist? Not necessarily against the Christian god, I am more interested in reading against all religions in general...

I will recommend the same book that was recommended to me. The True Believer, by Eric Hoffer.
It's about mass-movements - not strictly religious ones - and theories concerning the people involved. Check out the reviews if it sounds like something you'd be interested in.

"Old men make old words holy. - A fool may scrawl on a slate and if no one has the wit to wipe it clean for a thousand years the scrawl becomes the wisdom of ages."

Honorous J. Ancrath
18-03-2017, 09:37 PM
Welcome to the group! I wish I had dropped out of religion when I was 23!
I recommend a couple of good books: "The Big Picture, by Sean Carroll" and "Sacred Cows", by Seth Andrews.
19-03-2017, 12:04 AM
Hello! Big Grin
19-03-2017, 12:08 AM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2017 12:12 AM by Robvalue.)
I'd heartily recommend the YouTube series The Bible Reloaded, with Hugo and Jake. They go through the bible and rip it to pieces in a very humorous way. They've done loads of episodes which are all entertaining, and are now approaching the end of the Old Testament.

They've also started The Quran Reloaded which has been extremely enlightening to me. (It's way worse than I realized.)

They have a sick sense of humour which I find hilarious, but may not be for all. But among the jokes, they do offer very intelligent and careful analysis of the texts including what scholars have to say. The visuals are entertaining, but it can be listened to just as an audio series with no problem. They also have Morgan Freeman as God (pictures of him I mean, not his voice).

Here is episode 1 to get you started.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
19-03-2017, 12:10 AM
Welcome. There is a lot of information here if you need any help, also no, not all atheist are debaters, the only thing we have in common is we do not believe in a god.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
19-03-2017, 03:18 AM
Another vote for Demon haunted world Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
19-03-2017, 03:40 AM
You may try:

- Daniel Dennett Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon, Daniel Dennett
- Julian Baggini Atheism: A Very Short Introduction
- Russell Blackford, Udo Schuklenk 50 Great Myths About Atheism
- J. Anderson Thomson Jr., Clare Aukofer Why We Believe in God(s): A Concise Guide to the Science of Faith

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post