Hello to all

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2017, 04:10 PM
RE: Hello to all
Welcome, and greetings from the Emerald Isle.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2017, 04:18 PM
Hiya!
21-03-2017, 08:44 AM
(18-03-2017 12:35 PM)hayleymayonline Wrote:  I am exploring atheism, after a life time of Christianity and New Age. Well, by life time I mean 23 years. I am not anti-theist, I respect spirituality/religion but I just don't think it's for me anymore(e.g. I personally don't believe in it). So I am here to make new friends, learn new things, and find my new path.

I didn't know what else to read so I bought Dawkin's The God Delusion. Any other books you guys would recommend for a new atheist? Not necessarily against the Christian god, I am more interested in reading against all religions in general...

Thanks for having me here. Smile P.s. I am not a debater as I have this image in my head many atheists are... (please correct me if that's wrong, I am new to this), I just interested in truth and following that...

I always recommend Voltaire's Philosophical Dictionary to people looking for a good read. It's one of my "desert island" books, 'cause it changed my life.

Don't worry, it's not at all as dry as it sounds. The man was a marvel to whom Dawkins and Hitchens owe a lot.

In fact I recommend everyone read as much Voltaire as they can get their hands on.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. (G.B.Shaw)
[+] 2 users Like Vivian Darkbloom's post
21-03-2017, 08:49 AM
(21-03-2017 08:44 AM)Vivian Darkbloom Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 12:35 PM)hayleymayonline Wrote:  I am exploring atheism, after a life time of Christianity and New Age. Well, by life time I mean 23 years. I am not anti-theist, I respect spirituality/religion but I just don't think it's for me anymore(e.g. I personally don't believe in it). So I am here to make new friends, learn new things, and find my new path.

I didn't know what else to read so I bought Dawkin's The God Delusion. Any other books you guys would recommend for a new atheist? Not necessarily against the Christian god, I am more interested in reading against all religions in general...

Thanks for having me here. Smile P.s. I am not a debater as I have this image in my head many atheists are... (please correct me if that's wrong, I am new to this), I just interested in truth and following that...

I always recommend Voltaire's Philosophical Dictionary to people looking for a good read. It's one of my "desert island" books, 'cause it changed my life.

Don't worry, it's not at all as dry as it sounds. The man was a marvel to whom Dawkins and Hitchens owe a lot.

In fact I recommend everyone read as much Voltaire as they can get their hands on.

He will make a potential difference in your life!

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
21-03-2017, 10:00 AM
Welcome!
21-03-2017, 10:33 AM
Hello! Big Grin
21-03-2017, 06:38 PM
Welcome. Smile

For a more lighthearted view, I like this one:

Your Religion is False

He manages to dis just about everyone.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
21-03-2017, 08:51 PM

> Welcome to the discussions, HalleyMay. Smile