Hello to all from a new member

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2017, 05:36 PM
Hello to all from a new member
I found this forum after looking for a place with like minded members. A little backstory about myself. I work as a Captain on the only Hazardous Materials Unit for the largest Fire Dept. in the state. I've worked for the Fire Dept for 23 years and it is in my opinion one of the best jobs I could have chosen. I graduated with a Business Administration degree but only used it for about eight months before landing a job with the Fire Dept.

I grew up in Hawaii, California, and Virginia until my parents divorced when I was in my mid teens. We moved back to the South where my Grandparents lived and I have lived here (unfortunately) ever since. I'm married with an 11 year old daughter.

So enough of my history. I am an Atheist and have been since around the age of 14. I was brought up in church and went every day that the doors were open. But around the age of 14 I started questioning what I was being taught and so I studied. I became enamored with science and learning about the "why and how" things are the way they are. I hold no grudge against the church although I disagree vehemently against the teachings and dogma forced into children at an early age. I fully stand up for the right to believe whatever you wish as long as it does no harm to another. My parents are devout Christians so you can imagine I'm the "black sheep" of the family lol. Although my Mother and I have come to a mutual understanding there is still some animosity that I figure will always remain.

I'm not someone that speaks of Atheism at length since most of the people I work with are some form of Christian and being in the South makes me somewhat of a minority. I welcome civil conversations about belief (or lack thereof) but I will not get into an argument over a subject that can not be won when faith is the issue. I've always maintained that "faith is a made up belief system to explain away the unexplainable".

So with that said... I look forward to meeting all of you and learning, discussing, and socializing.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like RearViewMirror's post
21-02-2017, 05:41 PM
RE: Hello to all from a new member
Pearl jam fan?

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
21-02-2017, 05:41 PM
Welcome!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
21-02-2017, 05:43 PM
Welcome aboard!
21-02-2017, 05:45 PM
(21-02-2017 05:41 PM)ukatheist Wrote:  Pearl jam fan?

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Lol... Yes I am. Bought the album (CD) Ten before I even owned a CD player. Still have that original CD. But that title has a double meaning. I'm 5 years sober now. I went through a few years of alcoholism after a really bad run on the FD that I couldn't shake. I let it get the better of me. I hit rock bottom one night and quit cold turkey after that night and haven't looked back. So "Saw things so much clearer, once you, were in my, Rear View Mirror".

21-02-2017, 05:49 PM
Welcome!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
21-02-2017, 05:54 PM
Greetings, RVM.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
21-02-2017, 05:56 PM
Thank you all! I look forward to getting to know each of you.

Take care my friends Smile

21-02-2017, 06:02 PM
Quote:I look forward to getting to know each of you.

You say that now...
[+] 5 users Like earmuffs's post
21-02-2017, 06:02 PM
Hi RVM and welcome, we're glad you're here!