Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Help
Some days I get so discouraged by those around me. I've got so many otherwise intelligent friends and coworkers who just don't give a shit and are quite comfortable with throwing their hands up at the world around them. Some do attribute this to their religion... god takes care of everything, why do I need to learn anything...? to "I just don't care 'cause I don't have to..." most choose a disparity, assuming that if 'whatever' doesn't directly effect them, then why be concerned.
Maybe I'll never understand because, since I was a child, I've always been interested in the "why?"... and "just 'cause" or '''cause god said/did so"...were never good enough answers.
Today, at lunch with coworkers, we touched briefly on the Higgs Boson discovery... you can imagine how quickly this went down hill...especially since I was surrounded by folks who believe that the world needs theists and atheists alike to survive and god takes care of everything.... No
Help... talk me down from violently shaking a pregnant woman and throat punching the others... Censored
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2012, 10:38 AM
RE: Help
Some people are ignorant because they choose to be ignorant, likeableatheist. Forcing your views on to them would make you no better than all the pushy Bible-thumpers out there. Sometimes the best policy (for your sanity) is to agree to disagree and move on.
[+] 1 user Likes StatiK's post
10-07-2012, 10:40 AM
There's no forcing of my views...we had a discussion. We parted in disgreement on that discussion. Neverthless, left me with a gutwrenching feeling of discouragment. I like these people. They're otherwise very intelligent...and most are good friends outside of the office....
10-07-2012, 10:46 AM
And nothing about this conversation should alter your perception about them being good friends or "otherwise intelligent". People are going to believe what they believe. Indoctrination is a powerful thing. It's a lot more difficult to actually read many books than to claim to have read one book - so your friends have to choose for themselves to learn about life, the universe, and everything. Don't feel discouraged! They're still your friends, after all.
[+] 2 users Like StatiK's post
10-07-2012, 01:53 PM
How do people disagree with the Higgs boson?

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
10-07-2012, 08:36 PM
(10-07-2012 10:35 AM)likeableatheist Wrote:  Today, at lunch with coworkers, we touched briefly on the Higgs Boson discovery... you can imagine how quickly this went down hill...
Actually, no. In what way did it go down hill?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user