Help! Climate denying father

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-11-2016, 08:00 AM
Help! Climate denying father
I need some help finding videos or short articles about global warming. My father has been brainwashed been swayed by conservative nonsense, and climate denying is the newest thing that he's going on about. Sad

If anyone knows of some YouTube videos or reader-friendly science articles that explain global warming, specifically about ice melt and the impact that this will have on our environment, I would be really appreciative if you could share them here. I tried showing my father the two Vice reports about Greenland and Antarctica, but he refuses to watch them because Bill Maher is the executive producer and therefore the reports are biased (he actually used the word ‘tainted’) Rolleyes

Thank you in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-11-2016, 08:07 AM
RE: Help! Climate denying father
Well, this is a great info-graphic from Bloomberg that goes through some of the common denialist alternatives to human influence:
http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-w...the-world/

I'll look through what literature I have and see if I've anything that's good for a primary reseouce.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 6 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
27-11-2016, 08:10 AM
(27-11-2016 08:07 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Well, this is a great info-graphic from Bloomberg that goes through some of the common denialist alternatives to human influence:
http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-w...the-world/

I'll look through what literature I have and see if I've anything that's good for a primary reseouce.

Oh wow! That's a good one! Thanks. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
27-11-2016, 12:10 PM
SurgingSeas has a couple of interesting tools here . NASA has a bunch of stuff. They also have a series of 6 5-minute youtube videos called "Tides of Change" (1 - Climate Change & The Global Ocean, 2 - Water, Water Everywhere!,3 - The ocean's Green Machines,4 - Salt of the Earth, 5 - Melting Ice rising Seas, 6 - Keeping Up With Carbon) worth a watch.

My attitude on global warming is it is a practical matter. Global warming is happening and human activity is a contributing factor. That's pretty much indisputable. What is debatable is the degree to which human actions are contributing factors. We only have data from like the last 100 years or so while the period of the earth's cooling/warming is somewhere in the millions of years. Correlation is not causation especially not with such a teeny tiny snapshot. That said why tempt fate? We have rational explanations and empirical evidence for how our various activities could contribute to global warming and we have simulations which show the disastrous consequences (for us, not earth, if you can survive a magnetic pole reversal without being torn apart what's a little fever?). Even if it turns out a diet of double quarter pounders with cheese, large fries, and beer was a negligible contributing factor to my diabetes, would've been prudent not to tempt my genes.

#sigh
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-11-2016, 12:16 PM (This post was last modified: 27-11-2016 05:17 PM by Full Circle.)
[Image: 380px-Carbon_Dioxide_400kyr.png]

We are now nearing double the CO2 ppm in the last 450k years, unprecedented.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
27-11-2016, 01:52 PM
I have had a few conversations with climate skeptics, they always bring forth the same unfounded/biased arguments, I made a research a while ago to be able to answer them and I found this website, they have a lot of information and also an exhaustive list of arguments that climate skeptics use to deny human impact on global warming, and the truth about them :

https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

I don't know if it might help you or not, but you'll certainly find some arguments of your father in them, and I think that's useful to have all the answers at hand !
[+] 3 users Like Sturm's post
27-11-2016, 02:38 PM
This is short and straightforward, but he may not like the title.

[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
27-11-2016, 04:07 PM
Perhaps he can explain how releasing as much CO2 as a supervolcano eruption every year is not going to change the climate.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.10...240001/pdf

Or in an easy to understand format:

[Image: 4_5_degrees.png]

[Image: earth_temperature_timeline.png]

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 12 users Like Paleophyte's post
27-11-2016, 06:32 PM (This post was last modified: 27-11-2016 06:36 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
I've never understood what is so convincing about climate change denialism. The fact is, C02 is a greenhouse gas. We are outputting greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. Therefore, we are influencing global warming to at least some degree. It's a highly logical train of thought, yet denialists act like people are crazy for accepting it.
[+] 4 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
27-11-2016, 07:01 PM
(27-11-2016 06:32 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  I've never understood what is so convincing about climate change denialism. The fact is, C02 is a greenhouse gas. We are outputting greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. Therefore, we are influencing global warming to at least some degree. It's a highly logical train of thought, yet denialists act like people are crazy for accepting it.

We know what greenhouse gasses do in our atmosphere, and we know we're pumping out millions of tons of it.
How can we not be influencing climate change?
The only reason I can see for the "powers that be" to deny it is because they just want to profit from these industries as much as possible and let the next generation worry about it.
[+] 6 users Like pablo's post