Help! Climate denying father

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2016, 05:58 PM
RE: Help! Climate denying father
Oh really, then tell me how much can you slow the speed of light by lowering the temperature?

My Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2016, 05:59 PM
(04-12-2016 05:58 PM)Aractus Wrote:  Oh really, then tell me how much can you slow the speed of light by lowering the temperature?

Yes, you can slow the speed of light through lowering temperature. Light (photons) STILL isn't the equivalent of energy nor is energy equivalent with heat. Heat is a FORM of energy.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
04-12-2016, 06:01 PM
And exactly what part of photons are produced and destroyed by electrons is incorrect?

My Blog
04-12-2016, 06:04 PM
(04-12-2016 06:01 PM)Aractus Wrote:  And exactly what part of photons are produced and destroyed by electrons is incorrect?

The part where I asked how atoms produce heat. I didn't ask about the emission spectra of atoms as electrons change energy levels.

You're conflating multiple issues because you don't understand what you're talking about.

-Rick
04-12-2016, 06:05 PM
You described one way atoms produce RADIATION. I'm asking how atoms and/or molecules (like greenhouse gases) radiate heat to their surrounding environments. Hence the reason they are GREENHOUSE gases.

-Rick
04-12-2016, 06:06 PM
In fact, what you described is how atoms produce x-rays. Jesus H. Christ Facepalm

-Rick
04-12-2016, 06:09 PM
I mean, your posts are practically a gish gallup.

-Rick
04-12-2016, 06:17 PM
I do understand what I'm talking about. Atoms produce photons when their electrons move between shells - or "fall down the stairs" as some people say. They absorb when they absorb them the displaced electrons walk back up the stairs to their shells.

Anyway, you've distracted from my point. A greenhouse works by trapping air. The air once heated cannot disperse itself, that's the design of a greenhouse. That isn't how the GHE works. If it was then Nitrogen and Oxygen are greenhouse gases, after all the atmosphere is trapped. The GHE works by the fact that GHGs absorb solar radiation (mostly on the way out) causing air to become heated.

I disagree with the way you are using the term, because with other forms of heated energy - let's say air - the heat disperses itself. Heat cannot be dispersed from photons, the photons need to interact with electrons in atoms or molecules. You can send a beam of electrons covering as many spectrum as you like and they will not transfer energy or heat between themselves.

Anyway, you're still oversimplifying this. Once they get absorbed by CO2 or other GHGs in the atmosphere the GHGs then re-emit photons in another wavelength, and the process repeats itself until the photons either escape, get back to the surface, or end up in a wavelength the GHGs are no longer interested in, here's a picture:

[Image: co2_absorb_emit_infrared_anim_320x240.gif]

And yes I know the version I just gave is still oversimplified.

My Blog
04-12-2016, 06:19 PM
(04-12-2016 06:17 PM)Aractus Wrote:  I do understand what I'm talking about. Atoms produce photons when their electrons move between shells - or "fall down the stairs" as some people say. They absorb when they absorb them the displaced electrons walk back up the stairs to their shells.

Anyway, you've distracted from my point. A greenhouse works by trapping air. The air once heated cannot disperse itself, that's the design of a greenhouse. That isn't how the GHE works. The GHE works by the fact that GHGs absorb solar radiation (mostly on the way out) causing air to become heated.

I disagree with the way you are using the term, because with other forms of heated energy - let's say air - the heat disperses itself. Heat cannot be dispersed from photons, the photons need to interact with electrons in atoms or molecules. You can send a beam of electrons covering as many spectrum as you like and they will not transfer energy or heat between themselves.

Anyway, you're still oversimplifying this. Once they get absorbed by CO2 or other GHGs in the atmosphere the GHGs then re-emit photons in another wavelength, and the process repeats itself until the photons either escape, get back to the surface, or end up in a wavelength the GHGs are no longer interested in, here's a picture:

[Image: co2_absorb_emit_infrared_anim_320x240.gif]

And yes I know the version I just gave is still oversimplified.

It's not oversimplified, it's blatantly wrong. Greenhouse gases do NOT work by "trapping air." Where did you get this bs information from?

-Rick
04-12-2016, 06:22 PM
(04-12-2016 06:19 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  It's not oversimplified, it's blatantly wrong. Greenhouse gases do NOT work by "trapping air." Where did you get this bs information from?

That's not what I fucking said! I said a GREENHOUSE works by trapping air:

[Image: OavoVgU.jpg]

If you removed the roof of it the air would cycle and would remain the same temperature as its surrounding environment.

My Blog