Help I am Starting the Only Atheist group in my town.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2012, 02:15 PM (This post was last modified: 25-11-2012 02:21 PM by crippledatheist.)
Help I am Starting the Only Atheist group in my town.
I am starting the only Atheist group in Northern Indiana. I am trying to start this group to accomplish these things:

1. To raise money for good causes like toys for tots, military charities, and diseases like diabetes or cancer.

2. show that Atheists are good and moral without god.

3. to show the community that being an Atheist at any age is ok and that Atheists as a whole are family friendly.

4. Actively pursue separation of church and state.

5. kill the overall stereo types that surround Atheists.

any Idea to achieve the formation of this group?

Oh and here is an ad that I posted to craigslist already: http://southbend.craigslist.org/vol/3433683624.html

"IT'S CALLED FAITH BECAUSE IT'S NOT KNOWLEDGE"-Christopher Hitchens
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2012, 02:32 PM
RE: Help I am Starting the Only Atheist group in my town.
(25-11-2012 02:15 PM)crippledatheist Wrote:  I am starting the only Atheist group in Northern Indiana. I am trying to start this group to accomplish these things:

1. To raise money for good causes like toys for tots, military charities, and diseases like diabetes or cancer.

3. to show the community that being an Atheist at any age is ok and that Atheists as a whole are family friendly.

Oh and here is an ad that I posted to craigslist already: http://southbend.craigslist.org/vol/3433683624.html
Your ad is OK, but it could use some editing.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
25-11-2012, 02:37 PM
(25-11-2012 02:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-11-2012 02:15 PM)crippledatheist Wrote:  I am starting the only Atheist group in Northern Indiana. I am trying to start this group to accomplish these things:

Your ad is OK, but it could use some editing.
(25-11-2012 02:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  I am going to. I have been and still am in the hospital. Meds make my typing a little rough.

25-11-2012, 02:44 PM (This post was last modified: 25-11-2012 04:35 PM by Phaedrus.)
Re: Help I am Starting the Only Atheist group in my town.
Be ready to spend some money. Consider advertising on benches or street corners in your town.

Do not disseminate your personal phone number.

Be prepared to deal with proselytizers, missionaries, crank callers, and potentially death threats.

As soon as you have some membership, try and get on good terms with local churches. If they like you personally they'll be less likely to call you a devil worshiper in their sermon.

Be accepting of theists, let them ask questions, dispel their misconceptions, but if they're rude or aggressive, do not be afraid to kick them out.

Get security for your house, and possibly a shotgun, and learn how to use it. Get on good terms with your local police. There probably will not be violence, but there are crazy religious folks, and you can't be too careful.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
25-11-2012, 03:24 PM
Make your membership anonymous if the member wishes. Make it so that no one is outted just by being a member.

And yes, find some nice liberal religious groups that you can partner with or at least be on good terms with. Unitarian-Universalists, quakers, ECLA, all good places to start. Once you find one or two like this, they'll be able to recommend others, odds are they're already well-networked.

Finally, have a quick list of action items to start on. I don't know what type of governance you're planning for your group, but a pure death knell for your project would be when you have your first meeting and it consists of everyone sitting around the table saying, "I dunno, what do YOU want to do?" Some of these action items should be internally-oriented (support groups for the recently deconverted, charity for atheist youths who've been kicked out of their parents' homes with no support at all, etc), and some should be externally-oriented (charity work for the community at large, it doesn't sound like you're interested in agitating for getting "In God We Trust" off of nickels). In particular, I'd recommend action items that can be undertaken by an individuals rather than as a large group, because you don't have a large group yet. This lets you lay out a menu that people can go with individually on a "hey that looks cool" basis, or something you can do if you're the only one who shows up. Bear in mind that these would be just brainstorms -- your group might vote to do something else instead.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
25-11-2012, 05:14 PM
Thank you so much for the responses it feels great. I will be ready to spend soon, im focusing on membership for now. I also have this prepaid phone specifically for this purpose. And i I have a list of things we will do starting in the spring. these include March of dimes, homeless assistance, and the 2 biggies at least for me which are Breast cancer and doing alot for the vets, especially for the foxhole atheists.

25-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Exclamation RE: Help I am Starting the Only Atheist group in my town.
You lost me at military charities. Unless its to pay for the cost of some sort of class action lawsuit against the government for perpetrating fraud in order to recruit meat shields -erm- soldiers.
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
26-11-2012, 12:02 AM
(25-11-2012 02:44 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Be ready to spend some money. Consider advertising on benches or street corners in your town.

Be prepared to deal with proselytizers, missionaries, crank callers, and potentially death threats.

As soon as you have some membership, try and get on good terms with local churches. If they like you personally they'll be less likely to call you a devil worshiper in their sermon.

Be accepting of theists, let them ask questions, dispel their misconceptions, but if they're rude or aggressive, do not be afraid to kick them out.

Get security for your house, and possibly a shotgun, and learn how to use it. Get on good terms with your local police. There probably will not be violence, but there are crazy religious folks, and you can't be too careful.

Bloody hell....are things really that bad?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-11-2012, 09:47 AM
(26-11-2012 12:02 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(25-11-2012 02:44 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Be ready to spend some money. Consider advertising on benches or street corners in your town.

Bloody hell....are things really that bad?

Not usually, but occasionally yes. All it takes is a couple of fanatical preachers and a small town, and wham-o, you've got problems. If your pastor is telling you that atheists are sick, twisted devil worshipers who want to destroy Christianity, and you believe in the literal god and devil, then all it takes is the wrong idea entering your head at the wrong moment before you do something stupid.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
26-11-2012, 10:08 AM
(26-11-2012 09:47 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(26-11-2012 12:02 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Bloody hell....are things really that bad?

Not usually, but occasionally yes. All it takes is a couple of fanatical preachers and a small town, and wham-o, you've got problems. If your pastor is telling you that atheists are sick, twisted devil worshipers who want to destroy Christianity, and you believe in the literal god and devil, then all it takes is the wrong idea entering your head at the wrong moment before you do something stupid.
Don't forget corrupting the children. WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!?!?!?!?!?

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post