Help! I am running out of things to watch/listen to

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2014, 04:49 PM
Help! I am running out of things to watch/listen to
I spend a good deal of my time watching/listing to various science, philosophy, atheism, skeptical and other media. I generally leave something playing while I am cooking, cleaning, sleeping, working in the studio, whatever. But I am running out of material. As of now I have consumed or regularly consume the following media:

-TTA Podcast Episodes 1-50 and 120-170 (a few topics picked or skipped throughout the whole thing)
-Every episode of An American Atheist Podcast
-Every episode of Ardent Atheist
-Startalk Radio
-This American Life
-A few of the good episodes in The Joe Rogan Experience
-I can't watch Intelligence Squared debates because I literally end up yelling at the radio/computer
-I've watched at least 200 episodes of The Atheist Experience (get's old)
-A good chunk of Skeptically Yours (I liked Ardent Atheist better)
-Most of Lawrence Krauss' lectures/debates (He's my favorite)
-Lots of Dawkins (He writes better than he speaks, as he is very, very repetitive in his lectures/debates)
-I am not the biggest fan of Hitchens for similar reasons
-I've watched/listened to some Dennett, and if you could link me to notable media he is involved in that would be great
-Harris was once my favorite, but he is again very repetitive.
-I loves me some deGrasse Tyson, I have watched/listened to a good portion of his available media
-I have partaken of AcademicEarth.org's seminars in Introduction to Psychology (Yale), Theoretical Physics (Yale), Philosophy of Death (Yale) and Poetry of John Milton (Yale... I see a pattern here).
-Vlogbrothers have two additional YouTube channels, CrashCourse and SciShow, which I watch on occasion
-Minute Physics
-I listen to a lot of NPR, watch a good chunk of MSNBC, and a dash of BBC to form the majority of my major news media outlets

If you have any readily accessible media sources you would like to suggest, I would love to hear them.

I am also open to reading suggestions, however, please keep in mind that the majority of authors who participate in public forums give away the main points of their books. For example, The God Delusion by Dawkins and Free Will by Harris were complete bores to read as there was not a point made that I was not already exposed to through lectures, courses in evolution, talks, debates, or what have you. My favorite book on the topic of evolution was The Art Instinct, which contemplated the evolutionary origins of human aesthetics.

Thanks in advance for any and all help, or for bothering to read this whole list.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RomanovIII's post
17-07-2014, 05:04 PM
RE: Help! I am running out of things to watch/listen to
Well, if you ever want to give your brain a rest .... Smile

17-07-2014, 05:17 PM
If you find Hitchens repetitive I mildly despair - I suggest some of his non-religious debates though...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
18-07-2014, 06:57 AM
Start here: http://www.theskepticsguide.org/podcast/sgu
"The Skeptics’ Guide to the Universe is produced by SGU Productions, LLC – dedicated to promoting critical thinking, reason, and the public understanding of science through online and other media. The first episode of the SGU podcast went online on May 4th, 2005. It soon became a popular science/skeptical podcast, and remains one of the most popular science podcasts on iTunes."

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
18-07-2014, 07:14 AM
See page #1 here.

There might be something you've missed.

Cool

18-07-2014, 01:45 PM
(17-07-2014 04:49 PM)RomanovIII Wrote:  I spend a good deal of my time watching/listing to various science, philosophy, atheism, skeptical and other media. I generally leave something playing while I am cooking, cleaning, sleeping, working in the studio, whatever. But I am running out of material. As of now I have consumed or regularly consume the following media:

-TTA Podcast Episodes 1-50 and 120-170 (a few topics picked or skipped throughout the whole thing)
-Every episode of An American Atheist Podcast
-Every episode of Ardent Atheist
-Startalk Radio
-This American Life
-A few of the good episodes in The Joe Rogan Experience
-I can't watch Intelligence Squared debates because I literally end up yelling at the radio/computer
-I've watched at least 200 episodes of The Atheist Experience (get's old)
-A good chunk of Skeptically Yours (I liked Ardent Atheist better)
-Most of Lawrence Krauss' lectures/debates (He's my favorite)
-Lots of Dawkins (He writes better than he speaks, as he is very, very repetitive in his lectures/debates)
-I am not the biggest fan of Hitchens for similar reasons
-I've watched/listened to some Dennett, and if you could link me to notable media he is involved in that would be great
-Harris was once my favorite, but he is again very repetitive.
-I loves me some deGrasse Tyson, I have watched/listened to a good portion of his available media
-I have partaken of AcademicEarth.org's seminars in Introduction to Psychology (Yale), Theoretical Physics (Yale), Philosophy of Death (Yale) and Poetry of John Milton (Yale... I see a pattern here).
-Vlogbrothers have two additional YouTube channels, CrashCourse and SciShow, which I watch on occasion
-Minute Physics
-I listen to a lot of NPR, watch a good chunk of MSNBC, and a dash of BBC to form the majority of my major news media outlets

If you have any readily accessible media sources you would like to suggest, I would love to hear them.

I am also open to reading suggestions, however, please keep in mind that the majority of authors who participate in public forums give away the main points of their books. For example, The God Delusion by Dawkins and Free Will by Harris were complete bores to read as there was not a point made that I was not already exposed to through lectures, courses in evolution, talks, debates, or what have you. My favorite book on the topic of evolution was The Art Instinct, which contemplated the evolutionary origins of human aesthetics.

Thanks in advance for any and all help, or for bothering to read this whole list.

What about reading a book? I have atheist books listed on my Kindle wish list and have started down the list.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.