Help! I have a moral dilemma.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Help! I have a moral dilemma.
I'm currently unemployed and the bills are stacking up. I know, join the club, right? Anyway, I got offered a job and I want to take it. Problem is, the job is working for a company that prints Bibles. That's all they do. They print Bibles. I want the job so I can pay my bills, keep my house, and not starve to death. However, I don't know if I could look myself in the mirror if I take that job. Suggestions?

[Image: 553193_635722216633_1026343474_n.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2012, 01:59 PM
RE: Help! I have a moral dilemma.
Personally I'd take the job and pay my bills first and worry about the rest later.

/shrug

Maybe I'm too pragmatic that way.
13-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Not really sure how this is a dilemma. You need to eat and pay bills. The company is going to print Bibles regardless if you work there or not.

If it makes you feel any better, Zondervan Publishing (large Bible publisher) is a subsidiary of the company that publishes the Satanic Bible. So basically, one company oversees the printing of Holy Bibles and Satanic Bibles.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
13-01-2012, 02:10 PM
The reason I see it as a dilemma is because I would be part of a system that spreads the bible around. -Enter long rant about the bible being full of inconsistencies and hate, here.- There's also the fact that I will most likely have to pretend to be a christian while I work there, considering the fact that half of the questions on the application were about religion. I'm probably going to take the job, but I'm just not sure about how I'm going to feel about it.

[Image: 553193_635722216633_1026343474_n.jpg]
13-01-2012, 02:16 PM
I would have a problem with having to pretend I'm a Christian... but I'd rather avoid the question in that situation. What kind of questions were on the application? Can you give some examples? Did they expressly ask what your religion is?

But when it comes down to it, I'd make sure my family and living situation were taken care of first and foremost.
13-01-2012, 02:20 PM
You could take it to pay the bills and keep searching untill you get another job (easier said than done i know).

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
13-01-2012, 02:22 PM
(13-01-2012 02:10 PM)Science Believer Wrote:  The reason I see it as a dilemma is because I would be part of a system that spreads the bible around. -Enter long rant about the bible being full of inconsistencies and hate, here.- There's also the fact that I will most likely have to pretend to be a christian while I work there, considering the fact that half of the questions on the application were about religion. I'm probably going to take the job, but I'm just not sure about how I'm going to feel about it.

If you don't have to sign anything stating that you accept Christianity as part of your contract to work there then you don't have to pretend to be anything.

Just avoid conversation about religion and/or become knowledgeable enough on theology that everyone assumes you are.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
13-01-2012, 02:23 PM
I answered a similar question like his not too long ago but this has a few different tweaks.
First off. You'll be making money. That's a big positive and the money will help fund whatever non-religious activities you do so there's nothing wrong there.
Secondly. You will have an inside look at the process which could come in handy especially if there's little secrets involved.
As for the helping spread the bible around bullshit. NO. Simply no. Under that logic then lumberjacks are also helping spread the bible because thy cut down the wood needed to make paper. Fail logic is fail.

Take the job, make the money, and use the extra bibles to prop up that wobbly desk in your house.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 1 user Likes Hamata k's post
13-01-2012, 02:23 PM
First of all, "moral dilemma" is a contradiction in terms. Identity is dual-state; thus "dilemma" occurs when the identity "I" tries to "objectify" what is moral. You know, weighing the good against the bad; as if?I am fortunate in that I lack "free" will. For if I will it, it is moral.

Next up; what are you, a believer? Lemme tell you the scoop: Idolatry. How many times is idolatry pontificated against in scripture? How about graven image? How about a likeness of that which is in heaven? That must be a biggie, huh? Now, step back from the agenda of reason for a minute - consider this: printing press.

Why are they compelled to flap their gums about hell? Because that is the only conceivable place lower than the depths of their fall. In the beginning, the word was god; the word was with god... and what does the church do? Turn around and commission of a machine? An automaton? A golem? To spread the divine scripture that used to be called Illuminated text? And is now called Zondervan?

Printing Bibles; boyo, you'll be on the front lines of the Atheist counter-offensive. Don't sweat the dumb. Think of all the subliminal guilt; an assembly line of straws you get to pile on the camel's back of religion - cause it gonna get all broke up. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-01-2012, 02:38 PM
(13-01-2012 02:22 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(13-01-2012 02:10 PM)Science Believer Wrote:  The reason I see it as a dilemma is because I would be part of a system that spreads the bible around. -Enter long rant about the bible being full of inconsistencies and hate, here.- There's also the fact that I will most likely have to pretend to be a christian while I work there, considering the fact that half of the questions on the application were about religion. I'm probably going to take the job, but I'm just not sure about how I'm going to feel about it.

If you don't have to sign anything stating that you accept Christianity as part of your contract to work there then you don't have to pretend to be anything.

Just avoid conversation about religion and/or become knowledgeable enough on theology that everyone assumes you are.

KC reeeeaaaaaalllllyyy wants you to work there so you can get a christian influence and be saved! Big Grin J/J lol.

As far as printing the bible- I love that book! What a great mythological story. Smile Of course it isn't intended to spread that way....