Help! I have a moral dilemma.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2012, 03:05 PM
RE: Help! I have a moral dilemma.
I don't think that this requires incredibly flexible morals. Take the job.
For the mortgage.

[Image: thankyouforsmokingpubl.jpg]

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
13-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Take the job - you need to support your family.

On a moral scale, it's not like you're taking a job as a guard in a death camp.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Take that job!
Global economics ensures you are working just a few clicks away from
  • child labour
  • manufacturers of weapons of mass destruction
  • support groups of dictators
  • deforestation company’s
anyway.
So those bible's would be the least of my concern.

As long as they don't pay you in prayer that is Big Grin

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 2 users Like Observer's post
13-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Maybe you could sneak some extra pages in or remove certain passages.

If nothing else, even if religion were to some day disappear, the Bible is part of our culture. There are hundreds of literary references and Biblical allusions in the English language that would make no sense if you didn't have a Bible around. Heck, Chas even said, "Gird up your loins" to someone the other day. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
13-01-2012, 07:26 PM
(13-01-2012 06:08 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Maybe you could sneak some extra pages in or remove certain passages.

If nothing else, even if religion were to some day disappear, the Bible is part of our culture. There are hundreds of literary references and Biblical allusions in the English language that would make no sense if you didn't have a Bible around. Heck, Chas even said, "Gird up your loins" to someone the other day. Big Grin

And I said it knowingly.Big Grin

To be considered literate in Western culture, one has to have some familiarity with the Bible. There are so many references in our common speech and in literature that without some knowledge, you just won't really get it.

The rain it falls upon the just
and on the unjust fella.
But mostly on the just because
the unjust has the just's umbrella.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-01-2012, 07:47 PM
That ain't no moral dilemma. Try being a hippie working for 25 years in a research lab world famous for its contributions to advancements in munitions and armor. Take the job.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
13-01-2012, 08:48 PM (This post was last modified: 13-01-2012 09:05 PM by free2011.)
I have a great job for an excellent company. I am one of the top sales people in the organization and always receive high praise from management. I work out of my house but go to the headquarters six times a year for sales meetings. The company is very christian so before every sales meeting a prayer is said. Guess what I do. Thats right, I fold my hands, bow my head, close my eyes and praise Jesus. Does it bother me. Hell no. We could be thanking Winnie the Pooh and I would do the same thing. I'm not messing with a good thing.

Take the damn job.

I wasn't . . . until I was
I am . . . until I'm not
[+] 2 users Like free2011's post
13-01-2012, 10:42 PM
I don't see this as a moral dilemma, I think you should take into consideration your needs first, you need money, and if that job gives you money I don't see the problem, besides, you are doing nothing illegal, its a job, you want to bring bread to your house, then you should take the job.

And if you feel you have to pretend you are a christian, its ok, you can always avoid talking about religion with your co-workers.

Don't torment yourself over something so trivial as working on a bible print shop, you need money after all, I think its the most practical thing you can do.

Peace.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
13-01-2012, 11:58 PM
It would be silly not to take the job.
The Bible reflects history and humanity's search for spiritual meaning.

This book contains elements of flawed human thought as well as some interesting and confronting stuff.Exclamation
14-01-2012, 12:20 AM
Take the job while you keep looking. The compilation of books, cobbled together into a canon, by a non-unanimous vote, (otherwise known as the Bible), translated and mistranslated, into hundreds of editions and versions, MUCH later slapped with a Gnostic concept, ("the word"), is just a bunch of HUMAN writings. Of ITSELF, it is neither good, nor evil. The fact that SOME people choose to take it out of context, and know NOTHING about it's original context or mythological intent, (and take literally things which were never meant to be understood that way), is not your problem. [Image: hypno.gif]

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche