Help! I'm spending the weekend with a creationist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2014, 04:02 PM
Help! I'm spending the weekend with a creationist
I was speaking to a person yesterday who believes that human history is full of violence because we have often used our free will to do harm. The "it's not god's fault for the holocaust etc because we all have free. So god gives us a choice but e turn away
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2014, 05:54 AM
RE: Help! I'm spending the weekend with a creationist
(25-05-2014 04:02 PM)Chrisinfp Wrote:  I was speaking to a person yesterday who believes that human history is full of violence because we have often used our free will to do harm. The "it's not god's fault for the holocaust etc because we all have free. So god gives us a choice but e turn away

Then why have billions throughout history been slaughtered in his name? Also, if the Christian god is all-seeing and all-knowing, then he knew this would happen before he even created man. So, yeah, it is his fault.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
27-05-2014, 06:09 AM
I'm an American, settle it with a gun.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
[+] 1 user Likes Dee's post
27-05-2014, 07:21 AM
(25-05-2014 04:02 PM)Chrisinfp Wrote:  I was speaking to a person yesterday who believes that human history is full of violence because we have often used our free will to do harm. The "it's not god's fault for the holocaust etc because we all have free. So god gives us a choice but e turn away

It isn't free will because GAWWWWDD is omnipotent and omniscient, so he has already determined what's going to happen, and he already controls you since he has all potential.
No, he just works all sides of the deal.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
27-05-2014, 07:31 AM
Why are you spending time with a creationist?? Are there no hotels in your area?

Recently suffered loss of intelligence. Had little to begin with! I should not miss it.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
27-05-2014, 09:07 AM
I cannot fly by flapping my arms. Clearly, my free will has been obstructed.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 3 users Like guitar_nut's post
27-05-2014, 09:58 AM
(25-05-2014 04:02 PM)Chrisinfp Wrote:  ...
human history is full of violence because we have often used our free will to do harm. ...

I can't argue with that. Confused

it's not god's fault for the holocaust

Again, I concur. None of the gods can take responsibility.
And I don't blame the tooth fairy either.

because we all have free.

Depending on the definition of free will, I'll go along with that too.

god gives us a choice but [w]e turn away

This is the delusion.

Get out of there... NOW!

Rolleyes

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
27-05-2014, 10:34 AM
It is a friend of my wife's. We see her about one time each year. They are friends from college and my wife likes her. My wife is also an atheist, by the way. I don't get it either.
27-05-2014, 02:03 PM
(27-05-2014 10:34 AM)Chrisinfp Wrote:  It is a friend of my wife's. We see her about one time each year. They are friends from college and my wife likes her. My wife is also an atheist, by the way. I don't get it either.

Eh, just try not to bring religion up. I hang out with lots of Christians, and we almost never talk about religion. Every now and then they'll make inane comments about God working in mysterious ways (often through human action, which would either be God violating their free will, or human action taken completely outside of God's plan, but whatever) and I don't say anything. There's not much point. They aren't trying to ram it down my throat, and I otherwise enjoy their company.

As for the initial free will comment your friend made, it's rather dumb. If God can see the future, then everything is determined, and there is no free will in any meaningful sense. If God can read our minds, then he can know whatever he needs to know without actually having us act out our atrocities. If it's important for us all to have a bunch of negative stimuli set up for us in a creepy Skinner box so God can see how we'll react, then free will is rather meaningless. And even if it were important for us to be able to hurt each other, he could still let us act kindly or wickedly, and then go and fix the problems if he wanted, but he doesn't. At the end of the day, there is evil and suffering in this world because God wants it.

Christian apologetics render free will either meaningless or impossible, yet they still can't stop fapping to its importance.
27-05-2014, 02:24 PM

So god is a sadist.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]