Help -I may have to enter my child in a catholic school

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2013, 02:47 PM
Help -I may have to enter my child in a catholic school
I feel a little odd posting this here but I don't really know where else to seek advice. My wife and I are atheists. We were both raised catholic and had generally positive experiences with the church. I simply don't believe in Jesus' divinity etc. The more I closely read the bible - the more of an atheist I became. Anyway, our son is entering kindergarten in sept. We are raising him to be a free thinking. We have introduced religion - ancient ones as well as modern ones- in an educational way. He is bright and curious. My mother recently passed so we dealt with death without any pearly gates nonsense. Our problem is that we both work until 3:00 or so. We are one of the few districts in all of the suburban NY. Area that doesn't offer full day kindergarten. We have and are continuing to explore our options. We can't use his grandparents- no neighbors we fully trust see available - the private kindergartens are way outbid our price range. Ok- there is a catholic school full day kindergarten in our town that many kids use and then they move to public first grade. We are afraid that he will be horribly confused - and that it will just be difficult for him. He loves learning and we don't want school to be a negative experience. Is there a way to compartmentalize what he will learn there? Any advice at all is appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2013, 02:58 PM
RE: Help -I may have to enter my child in a catholic school
If you are interested set up a time to visit and ask questions and also to watch a classroom in session for a while. There are probably going to be some Bible stories and such but I don't remember anything horrifying being presented when I was that young.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
04-12-2013, 03:17 PM
Thanks
04-12-2013, 03:24 PM
For the basics, education-wise, I had a good education being in Catholic school from 6th grade through graduation. My siblings went from 1st grade through graduation. Our schools turned out a lot of future college grads and there was only a tiny fraction of dropouts. My nephew transferred to Catholic high school and did very well. He's on the autism spectrum but very high functioning. The smaller classes and less diversion was perfect for him.

Don't rule it out till you check it out. 5K certainly shouldn't be enough time for the Catholics to get their hooks into your child. My sister and I are both Catholic High School grads and atheists. My brother joined back up to get the tuition break for his son.

From what you said, it may be your best option. Good luck with the decision.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
04-12-2013, 03:47 PM
Well I went to Catholic school and look how I turned out! (Hint: not Catholic)

Learning what other people think and believe doesn't mean he has to blindly follow if he is also taught to think critically and rationally. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
04-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Like they said. Catholics are by far the more mainstream of them all, and not to bad religionwise also as far as tolerance etc. goes.
[+] 1 user Likes KillKillKilltoTheThird's post
04-12-2013, 04:09 PM
I don't think there will be any long damages just not sure what to say when he comes home and tells us the Jesus is god and people go to heaven etc. I think I'll just say that some people believe that like done people believed in Zeus ( not in those words)
04-12-2013, 04:12 PM
(04-12-2013 04:09 PM)Chrisinfp Wrote:  I don't think there will be any long damages just not sure what to say when he comes home and tells us the Jesus is god and people go to heaven etc. I think I'll just say that some people believe that like done people believed in Zeus ( not in those words)

Just remember to let them make their own choices in life.

If they are a gay hippy Muslim Catholic with a scatter of Hindu, then say "Go for it."

But do teach them tolerance and critical thinking and the proper use of "begs the question" PLEASE!
[+] 1 user Likes KillKillKilltoTheThird's post