Help Me Buy a Playstation!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2013, 06:54 AM
Help Me Buy a Playstation!
No, I don't want your money! Well, okay I guess I wouldn't turn down money if you just wanted to throw some away...but no, that's not what this thread is about.

I need help CHOOSING a Playstation. After many years of service my PS3 suffered the infamous YLOD Sadcryface That was over a month ago, and I'm having trouble choosing...like I'm driving myself crazy kind of trouble. I have a few PS3 games I was still playing when it bit the dust...including being on the LAST section of the LAST level of Hitman Dodgy and no, I didn't back up my data.

Repair service for the old PS3's cost anywhere from 80-150 bones. I intended on doing this....until I found out that those repairs only lasted 8-9 months on average.

Meanwhile, the PS4 is coming out in a couple of weeks, and at an attractive price too, $300. The thing is PS4 is not backwards compatible....initially. It is supposed to eventually be 'backwards compatible' via a cloud service, but I ain't holding my breath.

On the other hand, I could pick up a new slim PS3 with a game included four ~$250, or ~$270 with GTA:V. I could play all my favorite and unfinished games straight away, and have a new one to play as well.

Please gamers, help me!

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2013, 09:04 AM
RE: Help Me Buy a Playstation!
Well, if you buy a PC for that money, you don't need money grabbing, DRM enforcing assholes like Sony. You're a grown man with an economy; buy a PC with a GTX670, some capable storage and an i5 or i7 processor. You don't even need to bulid it; heck, a friend of mine got his PC with the almost the same specs as mine for a cheaper price, and that was bulit by a company for him.

DL, the fact that your PS3 YLOD'd is proof that consoles SUCK. Don't be a SUCKER for Sony, buy a PC, it will be cheaper in the long run since games on consoles cost an arm and a leg. I have 50 games I can install on Steam and I've only paid about 200 Euros for it. On a console, you'll have to pay more for 10 games.

[Image: garbage-day-o.gif]
29-10-2013, 09:16 AM
I like my console. I've had PC gaming machines in the past. Most of the games I'd be interested in playing that are PC based I can play on my current laptop. Most of the PC games I like are older...Total War games, old FPS, and my old school RPGs. My PS library isn't something I'm willing to let go of anyway. Besides that I use my PS to stream video and music from the computers in my house. I could to the same with a PC (and indeed have/am while PS is down) but it's a pain, and the resolution isn't quite right, my audio will not route to my surround sound.

Long story short, I'll either buy another PS or just go without. I'd rather have nothing than buy another PC gaming rig.

30-10-2013, 06:06 PM
The ps4 is only $300 US dollars on release date???
Jesus H Christ that's cheap. I remember when the ps3 came out it was $1000 something NZ (around $800-900 US).

Get the ps4. That way when I get one next year I can kick your virtual ass at whatever it is hillbillies like to play, provided I own the same game.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
30-10-2013, 06:09 PM
(30-10-2013 06:06 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  The ps4 is only $300 US dollars on release date???
Jesus H Christ that's cheap. I remember when the ps3 came out it was $1000 something NZ (around $800-900 US).

Get the ps4. That way when I get one next year I can kick your virtual ass at whatever it is hillbillies like to play, provided I own the same game.

I hear the graphics in Cornshucker 7 are going to be awesome. It's like you are actually sitting behind a trailer with a confederate flag draped on the side.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
30-10-2013, 06:34 PM
(30-10-2013 06:09 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(30-10-2013 06:06 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  The ps4 is only $300 US dollars on release date???

I hear the graphics in Cornshucker 7 are going to be awesome. It's like you are actually sitting behind a trailer with a confederate flag draped on the side.

[Image: 220px-Redneckrampage.jpg]

Personally, I've been waiting for the sequel ever since Weeping

[Image: 101223211589d7856da926f29c.jpg]

Shocking ARKANSAS? Oh happy days Clap

[+] 3 users Like TheGulegon's post
30-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Thanks for all the sage advice, fuckers. Dodgy

I am still contemplating my options. Right now I think I'm leaning toward PS3 cause I've still got PS3 games to play and my PSN games won't transfer. Plus PS4 games are gonna be expensive for a while.

30-10-2013, 07:01 PM
I'd say PS3, not only because of what you listed above, but with time, the PS4 price will go down and you'll be able to see if it's worth it. 300$ to me says it's gonna have issues.

Just two cents from a fellow fucker. Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
30-10-2013, 09:57 PM
(30-10-2013 07:01 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  I'd say PS3, not only because of what you listed above, but with time, the PS4 price will go down and you'll be able to see if it's worth it. 300$ to me says it's gonna have issues.

Just two cents from a fellow fucker. Big Grin

That too. The old, but expensive PS3's were faulty, hence the infamous YLOD. The fuckers built systems that initially costed between 600 and 800 USD and the biggest reason why they failed were becuase of less than a bucks worth of decent solder and thermal grease. The fan could've been better as well, but Jesus! I would've gladly paid the extra dollar, even the extra 15 dollars to have a more reliable system. They do make them better now, and much more energy efficient as well. Unfortunately for me I bought a stand for my PS3 specifically because it allowed me to have more USB ports without a USB hub sticking out the front. Now that the make slimmed down versions I will have to toss out the stand and buy a stupid USB hub that looks cluttered and needs to be kept up with.

Did I mention I will loose all my saves...6 years worth of game saves Weeping

30-10-2013, 11:05 PM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2013 11:09 PM by WeAreTheCosmos.)
I own two of the three ps3s in the house. One is an original, and I've baked it twice. It crapped out after a month the first time I cooked it and reset the cpu with new thermal paste... After I baked it a second time its been okay for almost two years. Its strange though, that I don't really know anyone else who has had any problems with the ps3, but the majority of friends have had the RROD on their 360s... and I've never had a problem with my 360.

Can't help you out on the purchase... I have no interest in next gen (probably because my PC is insanely more powerful than PS4 or XBone)

GTA:V is tons of fun...
but
BF4 looks like crap on current gen..

Just things to consider.