Help Mojch Not Put His Foot In His Mouth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2013, 09:47 PM
RE: Help Mojch Not Put His Foot In His Mouth
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...he-atheist

Anything like this?

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2013, 09:58 PM
NachIn,

I am a practicing attorney. Perhaps we should discuss legal issues sometime. Thanks for the advice and it's nice to meet you.

Momsurroundedbyboys: Thanks! I will attempt to avoid such generalities.

Sincerely,

Mojch
23-05-2013, 10:12 PM
Nothing theists say offends me. Unless it is codified or, inflicted on children.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
23-05-2013, 10:16 PM
(23-05-2013 09:58 PM)Mojch Wrote:  NachIn,

I am a practicing attorney. Perhaps we should discuss legal issues sometime. Thanks for the advice and it's nice to meet you.

Momsurroundedbyboys: Thanks! I will attempt to avoid such generalities.

Sincerely,

Mojch

oh indeed Big Grin

I'm from Argentina so we have completely different systems, it would be nice to compare them Smartass

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
23-05-2013, 10:32 PM
Hi Mojsch,

I often get pissed off with theists when they

- quote the bible, thereby implying that the bible tells an infallible truth. People who aren't Christians don't accept the bible's authority. We're happy to discuss what the bible says, but not assume it's authoritative.

- use the word faith. I seriously get turned off by that word.

- obviously have no understanding of history, particularly if they're not interested to learn or discuss.

- can't or won't say what they really think.

- avoid answering difficult questions.

- assume the atheist is ignorant of scripture. In my experience most atheists know bucket loads more about holy books that your average Christian.

- get offended when their beliefs are questioned.
[+] 5 users Like Mark Fulton's post
24-05-2013, 01:08 AM
Use of the word faith or belief could be offensive to some but it might just depend how it's used. If you have faith, ok. Just understand most here do not. I have noticed that it is often completely incomprehensible for some people to realize, that many people on this planet simply do not have a faith of any sort. An atheist lacks faith or has an absence of belief. Belief or faith is simply not a part of the everyday life of a non-theist or atheist.

Atheism is not a religion; there is no "believing in atheism" or an "atheistic belief system". I'm pretty certain that any notion in this direction will push quite a few ridicule-me-now buttons. Wink

There are a lot of different kinds of free thinkers who fall under the atheist umbrella. Atheist is pretty much a catch-all term; some may hold personal beliefs while rejecting religion and/or a god, while others consider belief, religion, & god to be completely irrelevant and still, others feel all these things to be a serious danger to the wellbeing of humanity. And many more in between, all having varying degrees of personal experience with faith, religion, and/or the religious. The one thing common to all under the atheist umbrella, is the absence of a faith in a god or gods.

Hope you find this thread helpful. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
24-05-2013, 04:10 AM
(23-05-2013 07:29 PM)Mojch Wrote:  inherently offensive

I don't believe anything is inherently offensive.
[+] 1 user Likes fat cat's post
24-05-2013, 05:32 AM
(24-05-2013 04:10 AM)fat cat Wrote:  
(23-05-2013 07:29 PM)Mojch Wrote:  inherently offensive

I don't believe anything is inherently offensive.

So you've never been to the Vatican then?
[+] 3 users Like Mark Fulton's post
24-05-2013, 06:04 AM
I think you'll learn more by putting your foot in your mouth and getting shat on Wink It's quicker than trying to sort out what everyone's personal opinion is. You'll never please everyone.

E.g. the oft-mentioned gay comment. It doesn't matter dude. You insulted some random group of people. I'm sure it doesn't affect them in the slightest, and you said sorry and moved on. Further, the only reason you insulted was ignorance and it wasn't intended as an insult.

Besides which it is every person's choice as to whether or not to get offended. Personally I was just glad of the chance to crack a joke at your expense Big Grin
24-05-2013, 06:06 AM
I find the central idea of Christianity - vicarious sacrifice - truly offensive.

So if you are basing any argument on that, we're off on the wrong foot.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]