Help Mojch Not Put His Foot In His Mouth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2013, 06:40 AM
RE: Help Mojch Not Put His Foot In His Mouth
Ya know what's offensive? You. And your evil death-worshipping cult. Angry

[Image: Trollface.jpg]

Which is to say, if you wanna write as to not "offend anyone," try politics. This place is a pretty hardcore atheist board. There ain't many "easily offended" types.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
24-05-2013, 07:47 AM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2013 07:51 AM by DeepThought.)
Hope we don't scare you off. I imagine it can be overwhelming at times, especially when you get massively outnumbered.

I'd limit discussions as you have been doing to only a few people. It's unrealistic for everyone here to expect a prompt answer from you when such a wide array of topics are being discussed. I'm sure it must take allot of your time.

Quick... it's a theist.... stacks on Mojch!

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like DeepThought's post
24-05-2013, 10:33 AM
I abandoned our talk for the time being because you are so inundated, it has nothing to do with anything you said at all. Smile

The thing is that atheists have nothing in common but that they do not hold a belief in a god.

There are all ages, nationalities, colors, sexual orientations, cultures, backgrounds, professions, economic statuses etc., etc., and probably you'll always offend someone for some reason.

If you are a member of a religion, you share a lot with other members, like a belief, a book you all value, certain ways of looking at things etc.

Not so here. There is only one common denominator - no belief in a god.

So, any question you ask that implies that all atheists will react the same or even similarly is bound to give you no results or faulty results.

You are probably not used to dealing with such complete individuality. There are no group orientations.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
24-05-2013, 10:47 AM
(23-05-2013 06:49 PM)Mojch Wrote:  1. What common phrases or statements made by theists offend you?
2. Why?
3. Is there an alternative method of phrasing you would suggest that might express the same concept but not be offensive to you? If not, why not?

"Design". It isn't necessarily offensive, but a poor choice of wording because it's so ill-defined. It is commonly used in arguments about an Intelligent Designer, such as in "things with design require a designer", but used this way it's merely begging the question ("design is the product of a designer).

Also (although I doubt you'd personally fall into this trap) "kind", as in "Noah led 2 of each kind of animal onto the ark". There are good reasons why Christians don't want to specifically define "kind" here because any description either defies the possibility of The Ark or requires an acknowledgement of the truth of evolution (a further discussion pending if you don't know why and would care to know).

I personally don't have a problem with the phrase "gay worldview" except if it is used to stereotype gays, as in "all gays see the world this way"... that commits the fallacy of a hasty generalization. You ought to always be careful not to think something is true of an entire group unless it's true by definition.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
24-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Since we can't all be covered with one answer, this is a tough one to try to answer.

Dive in, many here will let you know in a hurry if you offend them.

Lots of not bashful people here.

Nice that you are even thinking about it though...the assumption by some theists that EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE is also a theist (of the same flavor) seems to bug a lot of people here. I think you will find that like any group, different people are sensitive to different things.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
24-05-2013, 02:23 PM
(24-05-2013 06:40 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  This place is a pretty hardcore atheist board. There ain't many "easily offended" types.

Blush You say such nice things Johnny... now I guess I better take off my pants. 'Cos it's softcore if there's pants.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
24-05-2013, 02:46 PM
(24-05-2013 02:23 PM)morondog Wrote:  now I guess I better take off my pants.

[Image: ummm-no.gif]

Or did I mean yeah? I'm easily confused, you know. Or was it convinced? Convicted? Conflicted? Well, it was something for sure...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
24-05-2013, 02:55 PM
I thought "gay world view" was hilarious.

Nothing about being gay logically makes a connection to what the world is like. Maybe its fabulous?

Anyways I laughed really hard, because of the absurdity of saying such a thing.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
24-05-2013, 03:19 PM
(24-05-2013 02:55 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I thought "gay world view" was hilarious.

Nothing about being gay logically makes a connection to what the world is like. Maybe its fabulous?

Yea - I wasn't really offended, either - the first thing I thought though was, "Oh boy, he's one of those". I guess it disturbs me how an off the cuff generalization easily perpetuates another knee-jerk generalization. That's what makes for a sad world.

Simple awareness is always good and I think people can sometimes do with a friendly reminder. I don't think I was all that mean about it; at least I hope not. Besides, it's not often I get a chance to reference To Kill a Mockingbird while talking to a lawyer. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
24-05-2013, 08:57 PM
(24-05-2013 03:19 PM)kim Wrote:  
(24-05-2013 02:55 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I thought "gay world view" was hilarious.

Yea - I wasn't really offended, either - the first thing I thought though was, "Oh boy, he's one of those". I guess it disturbs me how an off the cuff generalization easily perpetuates another knee-jerk generalization. That's what makes for a sad world.

Simple awareness is always good and I think people can sometimes do with a friendly reminder. I don't think I was all that mean about it; at least I hope not. Besides, it's not often I get a chance to reference To Kill a Mockingbird while talking to a lawyer. Wink

Hell, it's not often that I get to reference anything other than a plea bargain when talking to a lawyer....

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
[+] 2 users Like bbeljefe's post