Help Save a Preacher

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Help Save a Preacher
http://ffrf.org/news/releases/ffrf-annou...ng-clergy/

It's nice to see evil atheists being so compassionate to those who have
spent a career propagating religion and now have difficulty getting out
when they've come to their rational senses. Makes me wonder how things would have gone had this been around 9 years ago.

Another way to help: A friend of mine has a job placement business and he has volunteered to provide free consultation and resume advice for atheist clergy trying to move into a new career.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like Erxomai's post
08-05-2012, 12:51 PM
RE: Help Save a Preacher
This is awesome for many many reasons.

One of them being that, just the fact of it's existence shows that it is more and more becoming necessary. Needed. Demanded.
That can only mean good things.

The other being that it makes it so much easier for Clergy to escape the world they knew, and enter the world the rest of us live in. I'm sure a major hurdle when leaving ones faith, especially when it is also a career, is having to start over. I can't imagine what it must be like to stop doing the one real thing you've been doing for years only to find that your experience doesn't really help you anymore at all.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
08-05-2012, 12:59 PM
(08-05-2012 12:51 PM)lucradis Wrote:  This is awesome for many many reasons.

One of them being that, just the fact of it's existence shows that it is more and more becoming necessary. Needed. Demanded.
That can only mean good things.

The other being that it makes it so much easier for Clergy to escape the world they knew, and enter the world the rest of us live in. I'm sure a major hurdle when leaving ones faith, especially when it is also a career, is having to start over. I can't imagine what it must be like to stop doing the one real thing you've been doing for years only to find that your experience doesn't really help you anymore at all.
In general, most any other profession can be left without catastrophic consequences. There's little stigma attached to most people who switch careers. Not only is a pastor's experience obsolete, but s/he looses their entire support network, often including their marriage as well as income. In many cases, being a minister is not a job but a way of life. It's often a pastor's entire identity because s/he is usually doing it out of devotion to God not because they think it would be a cool job to have.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
08-05-2012, 01:11 PM
It really does make me wonder how many are still doing it just because they don't want to be left with nothing.

It's sad. The other sad thing is, I'd rather have a pastor that believed than one who was just afraid. You would think the church would have something in place to prevent things like this from ever needing to hit the public eye. If it were me who was in charge, I would have a security net set up for preachers who weren't part of the flock anymore. A tidy sum set aside to help them in their time of change and maybe someone on the outside who didn't mind hiring them with little experience.

It would be beneficial for the church on so many counts. But instead they seem to ostracise anyone who questions their belief. Seems back asswards to me.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-05-2012, 01:30 PM
I think those who oversee clergy hope the Apostates will just disappear and be forgotten about.

I spent at least a year agonizing over whether to leave or not...and that was just the decision to resign as pastor. I was still a skeptical Christian at that point. I'm not sure how things would have been if I had been a full-on atheist before I left. Probably I would have left earlier.

~Izel
08-05-2012, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2012 01:39 PM by LadyJane.)
(08-05-2012 01:11 PM)lucradis Wrote:  But instead they seem to ostracise anyone who questions their belief. Seems back asswards to me.
That's what cults do, big or small. Sad

(08-05-2012 01:30 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I think those who oversee clergy hope the Apostates will just disappear and be forgotten about.

I spent at least a year agonizing over whether to leave or not...and that was just the decision to resign as pastor. I was still a skeptical Christian at that point. I'm not sure how things would have been if I had been a full-on atheist before I left. Probably I would have left earlier.
Yeah, it is probably easier to say "I don't think I'm strong enough to be a preacher, or I feel I'm being called for something else" than to say I'm an atheist. It would be more of a transition then. The transition is missing from full preacher to atheist, which is why your OP is nice to hear.