Help Stop SOPA/CISPA

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2013, 06:50 PM
Help Stop SOPA/CISPA
If you're not familiar with them, SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) seeks to expand the reach of law enforcement onto the interwebs where we all spend a lot of time sharing and consuming information. Ostensibly for the protection of copyright and intellectual property rights, this bill, like so many, is so vaguely worded as to allow law enforcement officers to censor speech and even shut down entire domains if there is a perceived violation of the bill. CISPA (Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Privacy Act) which just passed into law today, is potentially even more ominous piece of legislation which allows the federal government to arbitrarily monitor the internet traffic of any individual with impunity. Touted as a tool to track down terrorist threats and strengthen IP protections, this new law puts every communication of every individual in America and abroad at the whim and fingertips of any government agency who might want to see it.

My son, being a web developer and a stalwart supporter of individual liberties, has created a petition on the whitehouse.gov website, urging the federal government to rescind this destructive legislation and respect the rights of humanity.

If you share our passion for free dissemination of information and privacy from the prying eyes of the state, please take a few moments to sign.

Thanks again for taking the time to read this.

Oh and, here's the text of the petition in case you want to read it before you bother with visiting the site:

"Several bills have made it further than they should have through the legislation of our government. It is important that the government maintains the protections it guarantees to it's citizens regardless of the medium in which these protections are performed through.

The 4th amendment should apply to digital privacy just as it applies to other forms of privacy and should not be privy to the eyes of the government without the proper bypassing means such as a valid warrant.

It is important that we stand up and address these issues as well as express that it is not okay for these propositions to continue coming forth, laws such as SOPA and CISPA are detrimental and damaging to online growth and demand freedoms be sacrificed for no gain."

If not, then go bite a big fat hog in the ass, you fucking commie bastard! And I mean that in the most compassionate, empathetic way. Tongue

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2013, 06:53 PM (This post was last modified: 18-04-2013 06:56 PM by Free Thought.)
RE: Help Stop SOPA/CISPA
I thought that SOPA bill was rejected last year.

What, is it being pushed again?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
18-04-2013, 07:02 PM
(18-04-2013 06:53 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I thought that SOPA bill was rejected last year.

You are correct, SOPA was stopped last year, but CISPA has just passed through the House into law which is the same (essentially, it reads different) thing. I began the petition in hopes that at least someone would see that we (the people backing the petition) are displeased with the constant push to take away our rights online that we are supposed to be guaranteed.

If we can gather 100,000 signatures we can at least get a half assed response from the White House that essentially says they wont do this anymore but will continue to do it (typical government response is to promise both sides of the arguments and deliver neither, right?).
18-04-2013, 07:02 PM
(18-04-2013 06:53 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I thought that SOPA bill was rejected last year.

I don't know that it has. Since CISPA passed, it may be a moot point but there's no reason not to mention it in a petition against such laws.... because like herpes, destructive legislation could show up at any time.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-04-2013, 07:03 PM

It was shelved never got a vote because of the negative publicity so they let it die down and are going to reintroduce the bill.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
18-04-2013, 07:30 PM
(18-04-2013 07:02 PM)bbuck Wrote:  

You are correct, SOPA was stopped last year, but CISPA has just passed through the House into law which is the same (essentially, it reads different) thing. I began the petition in hopes that at least someone would see that we (the people backing the petition) are displeased with the constant push to take away our rights online that we are supposed to be guaranteed.

If we can gather 100,000 signatures we can at least get a half assed response from the White House that essentially says they wont do this anymore but will continue to do it (typical government response is to promise both sides of the arguments and deliver neither, right?).

Well, here's hoping you guys can get it knocked back on it's arse again.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
18-04-2013, 09:53 PM
(18-04-2013 07:03 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It was shelved never got a vote because of the negative publicity so they let it die down and are going to reintroduce the bill.

That last part (that I bolded) is the reason in which I mentioned it in the petition. What scares me more than the fact that they even proposed the bill in the first place is that even after it fails they plan on trying again "when people forget about it." So we need to make sure that they know we will not forget and that this course of action is a very poor one.
18-04-2013, 10:34 PM
(18-04-2013 09:53 PM)bbuck Wrote:  
(18-04-2013 07:03 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It was shelved never got a vote because of the negative publicity so they let it die down and are going to reintroduce the bill.

That last part (that I bolded) is the reason in which I mentioned it in the petition. What scares me more than the fact that they even proposed the bill in the first place is that even after it fails they plan on trying again "when people forget about it." So we need to make sure that they know we will not forget and that this course of action is a very poor one.

Indeed, I signed your petition and passed it on.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
21-04-2013, 05:20 AM
They are back? Aw, shit. Fucking PMRC wannabe assholes.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
21-04-2013, 06:54 AM
Good luck.... wont happen though. Just like the Lisbon treaty in the EU it will keep coming back in different names and guises until they have there way and we are all eventually wearing google glasses (or a generic form of wearable technology) with images being recorded and sent to google HQ every 5 seconds on their massive servers.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.