Help Undoing a Horrible Church Service

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2015, 03:59 PM
Help Undoing a Horrible Church Service
My aunt died recently and I attended her memorial service. It was in a Christian and Missionary Alliance Church. Most of the service focused on how it was such a good thing that she was "right with God" and that all those who are right with God will see her again in heaven. The pastor went on to describe a few meetings with dying people and he basically helped secure their salvation. He also drove home the unfortunate "truth" that those who reject Christ will not be in heaven. You know, the separation from God speech.

I haven't considered myself a Christian for a long time. I'm even skeptical about God's existence. So, intellectually I have rejected hell and this doctrine of being saved, so why am I starting to feel doubts after listening to the rambling of one preacher? Is it because my whole family was there and most of them were buying this? Is it because it brought up the brainwashing I experience from this church as a child "(which I'm realizing was probably more severe that I originally thought?) Is it because I think my mom believes I'll go to hell if I'm not a Christian? What makes this message so effective? I feel like I have to go back and list all of the reasons I rejected religion in the first place.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2015, 04:06 PM
RE: Help Undoing a Horrible Church Service
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's not uncommon for church brainwashing to take hold again after you have been free from all of that for awhile. I would say it's probably due to all of the reasons listed in your post. I had a similar situation happen myself when I was newly freed from the web of Christianity. I made a list of all of the reasons I got out and all of the doubts I had and went through them. When you see your doubts on paper--and logically go through them--it helps to realign yourself to rational thinking and undo the brainwashing. If you want you can list your doubts/concerns here and we can help you work through them.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
05-09-2015, 04:31 PM
Thanks so much. Funny, I actually did start listing my reasons so I could remember my process. I've also been listening to lectures by Bart Ehrman, a new testament scholar who writes about the discrepancies in the bible from a historical perspective, which gives it a lot less power.
[+] 2 users Like seahorse1069's post
05-09-2015, 04:32 PM
(05-09-2015 04:31 PM)seahorse1069 Wrote:  Thanks so much. Funny, I actually did start listing my reasons so I could remember my process. I've also been listening to lectures by Bart Ehrman, a new testament scholar who writes about the discrepancies in the bible from a historical perspective, which gives it a lot less power.

I love Bart Ehrman!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
05-09-2015, 05:05 PM
My condolences.
05-09-2015, 08:43 PM
(05-09-2015 03:59 PM)seahorse1069 Wrote:  ...
Is it because my whole family was there and most of them were buying this?

Very likely this.

Imagine the same preacher in a different setting ... a stand-up comedy venue.

The people around you are laughing and cheering.

The preacher-comic says the same stuff about being "right with god".

Try not to pee yourself laughing.

Consider

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
05-09-2015, 09:12 PM
I also think what helps is taking out the word God and replacing it with the Lucky Charms leprechaun. Because really the idea of God is as silly as believing in the Lucky Charms leprechaun. If someone told you they were praying to the LC leprechaun for a job/house/rship etc.--you and everyone else would think they were crazy. Now if they said the same thing and said they were praying to God, people would think they were sane.

Sometimes I do still go to church for holidays as it makes my mom happy. What I do is take out the God part from the priest's sermon and replace it with the LC leprechaun. It actually makes going to mass a lot more entertaining and eliminates any chance of doubts creeping in because you are constantly reaffirming to yourself how nuts the entire thing is.

[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
05-09-2015, 11:38 PM
My sympathies on your loss, bud.
06-09-2015, 05:09 AM
The preacher who did my mom's graveside service kept his eyes open and was in locked eye contact with me during his "prayer".

It was a stare-down contest, pure and simple.

I mouthed the words "Fuck you" several times.

That cured his ass.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 5 users Like onlinebiker's post
06-09-2015, 06:01 AM
(06-09-2015 05:09 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  That cured his ass.

It's a miracle! Tongue

Welcome OP. Sorry for your loss.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.