Help With Life

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2011, 05:28 PM

Help With Life
I was born and raised Catholic, and a year or two ago I realized that the whole religion thing is total Bullshit. I'm 16 now, and my parents will NOT let me live my life as an atheist. In fact, they make me go to youth group and church every sunday. I need help with getting them off my back. Any suggestions?
Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2011, 05:45 PM

RE: Help With Life
DISCLAIMER: it might not be a good idea to listen to my advice. I'm bad at family and my advice works for me because i genuinely neither love nor hate my family, nor desire their approval.

that said. My advice is endure. While youre under their roof youre under their authority, so go to youth group and church and endure it. When people ask your opinion at those places, give it honestly. When they try to get you 'on god's side' reply with what you honestly think of their illogical arguments. As long as you are calm, rational and civil about it a church group will either back down and respect your beliefs or go into a frothing rage, depending on how they follow their book's teachings.

Of course backing down and respecting your beliefs is the better outcome but, as long as you arent in a place where they can get away with actual violence against you, frothing rage will tire them quickly, expose their arguments as poor and (again as long as you arent somwhere they can get away with lynching you) ultimately have no effect that wont just go away once youre able to leave home and come under your own authority.
Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2011, 06:00 PM
I agree with the above advice--nothing you can do as long as they foot your bills. I ran off from home when I was 16, because I didn't want my parents telling me what to do, but I am not advocating that; things were a lot different in the 70's.
Being calm, rational, and educated on the subject at hand will get you a lot further than freaking out on people. Even if they freak out on you!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Not sure why I all of a sudden have to say this over and over again, but read what the forum is for BEFORE posting in it. If you're new, don't post until you've read the rules and forum descriptions.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
30-01-2011, 07:59 PM
I've moved the thread to CC. Continue the discussion here, if you want, but like Stark said, please make sure that you're in the right section for whatever thread you're trying to start.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
30-01-2011, 08:44 PM
I agree with previous posters that you probably have to suck it up at this point. Once you're on your own you can do as you please. I know it sucks. I'm quite grown and I still have to hide my beliefs from some, for fear of losing my job. I know it can be very draining. I look forward to the day that I don't have to hide, and you will too. Smile

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
31-01-2011, 05:49 AM
(30-01-2011 08:44 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  I'm quite grown and I still have to hide my beliefs from some, for fear of losing my job.

I was actually going to make the point that sucking it up now is good training for how to endure when you have to suck it up as an adult, but trillium articulated it perfectly.

In life, sometimes you just have to get along. So, I'd suck it up and get along. You can decide to speak your mind in church and at the youth group and good for you if you do, but you may find that it causes you more grief then it's worth.

If it makes you feel better, we all endure things that we would rather not. It's part of being a member of a society. Some are more painful then others, but we all have obligations to do things we'd rather not do.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
31-01-2011, 02:33 PM
If you speak your mind in a church group expect a bunch of bullshit in return. You said religion is bullshit. You sqeeze an orange, you get orange juice, a lemon, lemon juice, a religious person, you get bullshit. What is inside, comes out. It is that simple. Tongue

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.