Help/ advice for a fairly new-comer to atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2012, 04:37 AM
RE: Help/ advice for a fairly new-comer to atheism
(14-01-2012 03:24 AM)imralav Wrote:  Such a sad thing to hear, when a kid is afraid of being himself, because his parents may not like it. I think that's what I would ask my parents if I were you. Why do I have to be afraid? Why can't I feel comfortable with my parents?
Bad idea. Very bad idea. Alarm bells ringing!

Something like that will most certainly sound like he is in a nasty phase and it will be over in a bit because "that's the thing with teenagers" and this is very frustrating because it shows that the parents don't take him seriously...
And/Or
it will cause an endless and upsetting discussion (upsetting on both sides by the way)
And/Or
it will cause a fight
And/Or
punishment depending on the parents mentality
And/Or
after that it will always come up again and again even when you already moved out

I would not do that! Especially not in that age.

If you feel you must must must say something I aggree with the sneaky way. Asking questions that show you start thinking. But not disagreeing with half the things they say, do, think. After all you have to stay there for a little while longer and just in case they don't throw you out but disaggree on your views, you don't want to make your own life hell there.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
14-01-2012, 07:45 AM
I don't know, meng. Family should end at fifteen. I don't have family, so I ain't got no responsibility to justify tribal delinquency. Christianity is just such a... party affiliation.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
14-01-2012, 05:35 PM
(14-01-2012 04:37 AM)Leela Wrote:  
(14-01-2012 03:24 AM)imralav Wrote:  Such a sad thing to hear, when a kid is afraid of being himself, because his parents may not like it. I think that's what I would ask my parents if I were you. Why do I have to be afraid? Why can't I feel comfortable with my parents?
Bad idea. Very bad idea. Alarm bells ringing!

Something like that will most certainly sound like he is in a nasty phase and it will be over in a bit because "that's the thing with teenagers" and this is very frustrating because it shows that the parents don't take him seriously...
And/Or
it will cause an endless and upsetting discussion (upsetting on both sides by the way)
And/Or
it will cause a fight
And/Or
punishment depending on the parents mentality
And/Or
after that it will always come up again and again even when you already moved out

I would not do that! Especially not in that age.

If you feel you must must must say something I aggree with the sneaky way. Asking questions that show you start thinking. But not disagreeing with half the things they say, do, think. After all you have to stay there for a little while longer and just in case they don't throw you out but disaggree on your views, you don't want to make your own life hell there.

I really want to say that, but I agree with Leela. I'm not sure what the consequences might be yet. Thanks again, I'll more than likely try that 'sneaky' thing. Shy
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Dynastes's post
14-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Let us know how it goes!
15-01-2012, 07:37 PM
(14-01-2012 05:46 PM)Ben Wrote:  Let us know how it goes!

Will do!
21-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Apparently my mom pays attention to browser history now (?), because today she asked if I was the one visiting this site. (I forgot she uses this computer Dodgy ) I admitted it, (I hate lying) but I only said I was reading some stuff. So I kinda dodged her questions until she left.

She asked if I didn't believe in God anymore. I kind of ignored that question, but I think she might be catching on to me. I'm not sure how she is taking it / will take it. She seemed kinda depressed when she asked, yet she was pretty calm. Maybe she would tolerate my beliefs, ( I would hope) but I feel like it could hurt our relationship.

And I need to say, at least to get it off my chest:
That was scary as hell. I wanted to freaking die when she mentioned this stuff. Sad I am such a weak person!!! Sad
I'm still not sure what she thinks, but I'm a little rattled. Undecided
21-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Well, that ain't exactly true. Theism is traditionally more the position of weakness; it takes strength of character to stand against the current paradigm.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
21-01-2012, 08:20 PM
(21-01-2012 07:38 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Well, that ain't exactly true. Theism is traditionally more the position of weakness; it takes strength of character to stand against the current paradigm.

That's true, thanks. I wish I could just stand up for my beliefs now.
21-01-2012, 08:28 PM (This post was last modified: 21-01-2012 08:50 PM by GirlyMan.)
(08-01-2012 11:41 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  Seth of TheThinkingAtheist has said many times - and I agree - that advice to a child is a sketchy subject. ... I'm all for atheists being open and honest, but adolescents simply aren't in a proper environment for expressing themselves. I would recommend waiting it out.

I'm with Starcrash here, but I think I can describe what happened to me when I was his age some 34 years ago now without tendering it as advice.

(07-01-2012 08:05 PM)Dynastes Wrote:  Not to mention that my realization that there is no actual heaven after death is pretty depressing...but, it's the truth...

That was my question when I was your age. I didn't find the question of God's existence particularly interesting or relevant. After a 10-year Lutheran School education which naturally evolved beyond religion into a curiosity about philosophy and metaphysics coupled with a frenetic, insatiable year of reading the existentialists, I asked my devout Baptist grandfather, "You're an actuary, Grandpa, I don't understand how a postmortem preservation of identity is even reasonably imaginable." ... blank stare ... crickets chirping ... more blank stare ... back to his newspaper. My equally devout Baptist grandma pulled me aside later and whispered, "Don't tell your grandfather, but neither do I. I don't think we need to." That's still the only relevant question to me. I still don't find the question of God's existence particularly interesting or relevant.

And looking back on it, "depressing" doesn't feel right, more like "confusing". Like the first moments after a long-time caged animal has been released and it just stands there, not yet quite sure what to make of it. It takes a moment or two to realize liberation.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
21-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Huh.. interesting. You're right, I don't think depressing is the right word. I guess since I love nature so much, the thought of not being able to enjoy the awe of it all anymore seems rather overwhelming. I don't necessarily fear death, but I am pretty curious, and I certainly don't want to die yet. Anyway, hopefully I can gain some good insights from the forum Smile
[+] 3 users Like Dynastes's post