Help debunk this.......

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-09-2016, 09:57 AM
Help debunk this.......
So I have a conversation going with a creationist.....I refuse to fucking capitalize the "c" in creationist........anyway, this guy brought up the ice core samples and we were discussing this aspect of things when he wanted to know why a WW II squadron crashed in Greenland and was under 268 feet of ice. creationists jumped on this claiming that ice core samples scientists take that prove the flood never happend couldn't be correct because the planes must have crashed into soft melting snow and ice. My contention is that it's a glacier which would have pushed it further below the surface as the ice moved.

I know there's a scientific explanation. A glacier could move a plane under 268 feet, correct?

https://www.damninteresting.com/exhuming...cier-girl/

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-09-2016, 10:18 AM
RE: Help debunk this.......
Start here

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
13-09-2016, 10:38 AM
(13-09-2016 10:18 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Start here
Good one Thumbsup

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
13-09-2016, 10:51 AM (This post was last modified: 13-09-2016 10:56 AM by onlinebiker.)
(13-09-2016 09:57 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  So I have a conversation going with a creationist.....I refuse to fucking capitalize the "c" in creationist........anyway, this guy brought up the ice core samples and we were discussing this aspect of things when he wanted to know why a WW II squadron crashed in Greenland and was under 268 feet of ice. creationists jumped on this claiming that ice core samples scientists take that prove the flood never happend couldn't be correct because the planes must have crashed into soft melting snow and ice. My contention is that it's a glacier which would have pushed it further below the surface as the ice moved.

I know there's a scientific explanation. A glacier could move a plane under 268 feet, correct?

Ice core samples will vary with geography.

If you take samples in Antarctica - they're considerably different than the layers in Greenland -- because most of Antarctica is considered desert (because of the lack of snow) -- where Greenland would be a tropical rain forest, were it warmer....

Thus - if you were to sample for the iridium isotopes that are found worldwide from the big above ground nuke testing - you'll find it only inches deep in some areas - and hundreds of feet in others......

Such things are also used as baseline to determine the average rate of snowfall - and thus able to date with a pretty decent degree of accuracy....

Or -- you can read the bible and believe whatever you come up with......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
13-09-2016, 01:24 PM
(13-09-2016 09:57 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  So I have a conversation going with a creationist.....I refuse to fucking capitalize the "c" in creationist........anyway, this guy brought up the ice core samples and we were discussing this aspect of things when he wanted to know why a WW II squadron crashed in Greenland and was under 268 feet of ice. creationists jumped on this claiming that ice core samples scientists take that prove the flood never happend couldn't be correct because the planes must have crashed into soft melting snow and ice. My contention is that it's a glacier which would have pushed it further below the surface as the ice moved.

Tell him to build a boat, using only hand tools, no electricity, and put two elephants, two lions, two cheetahs, two sheep, two chickens, and two rabbits on it for 40 days with no contact with land. This should be simple compared to what Noah did, right? If he is successful we will all sing his praises and admit the earth is only 6000 years old.
Ask him how a male and female of each species could possibly repopulate the world. So much inbreeding we'd have 6 headed chickens and elephants who glowed in the dark and sheep with human heads.

Cool. Cool
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
13-09-2016, 02:58 PM
(13-09-2016 10:18 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Start here

That was perfect. My reply was fairly close to your link's answer and I'm not even that much of a science person. Whaddoyaknow about that!

Researching this episode from WW II has been interesting. The two planes made an emergency landing on the glacier and the men were rescued after 11 days. Before they left the area they shot holes into the electronics to keep the Nazis from using it. The 2 planes were too difficult to retrieve during the war and after the war was forgotten about. Over time snow piled on top of the planes and the glacier moved them three miles down stream from where they originally were.

In 1988 a team of explorers got interested in finding these two planes and used a machine called the Super Gopher to melt the ice around the planes.

[Image: gopher.jpg?w=470]

They gave up on trying to get the B-17 out and two years later came back and pulled out the smaller P-38 which they renamed Glacier Girl.

[Image: glacier_girl.jpg]

So, low and behold, creationists are using this whole episode to prove god exists and of course they omit a lot of information in the process. Assholes.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
13-09-2016, 03:05 PM
dft wrote:
Quote:So, low and behold, creationists are using this whole episode to prove god exists and of course they omit a lot of information in the process.
Standard tactic.

Quote:Assholes

Definitely!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
13-09-2016, 04:08 PM
(13-09-2016 01:24 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  

Tell him to build a boat, using only hand tools, no electricity, and put two elephants, two lions, two cheetahs, two sheep, two chickens, and two rabbits on it for 40 days with no contact with land. This should be simple compared to what Noah did, right? If he is successful we will all sing his praises and admit the earth is only 6000 years old.
Ask him how a male and female of each species could possibly repopulate the world. So much inbreeding we'd have 6 headed chickens and elephants who glowed in the dark and sheep with human heads.

Cool. Cool

I see sheep with human heads all the time. Just look inside a church. Yes
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post