Help design my new book cover, win a free copy! (This guy again?)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2013, 04:15 PM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2013 04:19 PM by Buddy Christ.)
Help design my new book cover, win a free copy! (This guy again?)
Yes that's right. After a year hiatus, I've come back just to pander my wares some more! Hooray!

I have no artistic talent, so my current cover is just 2 pictures and some text. The usual. The book is done and I'm so excited I could joust with my erect nipples.

I'm planning on giving 5 free copies to random people on here just for feedback and editing reasons. The first free copy goes to whoever helps me figure the cover out.

The book is a comedy called No Hope for Humanity so the idea was to have like a fat woman on a scooter at Walmart or just a prime example of how hopeless we are as a species.

My first 2 ideas can't be used for copyright reasons (I can't get the artists to respond).

This one was a good display of our love of cell phones combined with our affinity for destruction and war, but again... the artist can't be reached and I didn't want to single out Tony Blair.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuCtDv9_SncSs64TROOQ4...lquI_RmHJA]

This one didn't really make sense, but it did have that mindlessly patriotic feel to it. He has a lot of awesome photos including Reagan riding a raptor firing a gun, but again no response to my emails.

[Image: fdr_battle_master_by_sharpwriter-d46ks2j.jpg]

The last one I couldn't get permission for is this one. A bit more hopeless than humor, but it fit the theme. That's the problem with DeviantArt, lots of great artworks by people who don't necessarily want to share.

[Image: Dream_about_falling_down_by_bucz.jpg]

The ones I'm left with so far are from Shutterstock. The actual pictures will be more clear and without the imprint.

[Image: stock-photo-business-man-climbs-a-mounta...652138.jpg]

[Image: stock-photo-man-silhouette-jumping-over-...658988.jpg]

As you can see, I suck at creative artwork. Any takers?

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
14-11-2013, 04:31 PM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2013 08:14 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Help design my new book cover, win a free copy! (This guy again?)
(14-11-2013 04:15 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Yes that's right. After a year hiatus, I've come back just to pander my wares some more! Hooray!

I have no artistic talent, so my current cover is just 2 pictures and some text. The usual. The book is done and I'm so excited I could joust with my erect nipples.

I'm planning on giving 5 free copies to random people on here just for feedback and editing reasons. The first free copy goes to whoever helps me figure the cover out.

The book is a comedy called No Hope for Humanity so the idea was to have like a fat woman on a scooter at Walmart or just a prime example of how hopeless we are as a species.

My first 2 ideas can't be used for copyright reasons (I can't get the artists to respond).

This one was a good display of our love of cell phones combined with our affinity for destruction and war, but again... the artist can't be reached and I didn't want to single out Tony Blair.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuCtDv9_SncSs64TROOQ4...lquI_RmHJA]

This one didn't really make sense, but it did have that mindlessly patriotic feel to it. He has a lot of awesome photos including Reagan riding a raptor firing a gun, but again no response to my emails.

[Image: fdr_battle_master_by_sharpwriter-d46ks2j.jpg]

The last one I couldn't get permission for is this one. A bit more hopeless than humor, but it fit the theme. That's the problem with DeviantArt, lots of great artworks by people who don't necessarily want to share.

[Image: Dream_about_falling_down_by_bucz.jpg]

The ones I'm left with so far are from Shutterstock. The actual pictures will be more clear and without the imprint.

[Image: stock-photo-business-man-climbs-a-mounta...652138.jpg]

[Image: stock-photo-man-silhouette-jumping-over-...658988.jpg]

As you can see, I suck at creative artwork. Any takers?

Glad you're here, and ok. We worry.
I like the second to last one, maybe put a saw in his hand.
But talk to Mark Fulton, he just finished the cover thing for his book, he may have ideas. I have none. If you need his email, PM me.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
14-11-2013, 05:20 PM
The running person seems depressing but the hanging person seems comical. Go with comical... the title might be easily misunderstood to be depressing, otherwise.

Muffy has really been going at it with the photoshop decor and really has a good eye. I'm sure he'll chime in.

Good to have you back, Buddy. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
14-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Someone walking onto a landmine while texting.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
14-11-2013, 06:59 PM
I've only made photos for stock but never purchased them. Do you get the exclusive copy of the photo or can that one be used for others? Something to think about if your image is used a lot elsewhere.

I LOVE the selfie one with the bomb in the background. You could do anything though- you could have someone mugging an old lady in the background with the person taking the selfie of a robbery happening, or some other standbyer act.

I can take the photo for you for a new book (I'm a photographer, I can PM you a link to my portfolio). I could probably get some volunteer models. I'll even just purchase your book, would be a fun concept to pull off anyway. Do you have a topic in your book about technology/current social media? You could consider placing a hashtag in front of your title to go along with it, ha ha.

Just thoughts, good luck! Let us know when it's for sale, I enjoyed your bible critic.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
14-11-2013, 08:10 PM
Just have like a skeleton wearing clown stuff while riding a scooter away from an atomic explosion while talking on a cell phone and eating a hamburger.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-11-2013, 06:10 AM
What about this:

A shot of a woman sitting in the drivers seat of a car (taken from just beside, and outside the car)

She has a cell phone in one hand, and a cigarette in the other. A steaming cup of coffee is perched tediously on the dash beside a half eaten donut, resting half on a napkin and half on the dirty dash. Her makeup is half done, and she is looking into her rear view mirror at her own reflection while chatting animatedly on her cell.

Or something.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
15-11-2013, 08:56 AM
The second from the bottom one of the dude hanging from the branch is good.
If the book is comical than you want a comical cover.
If people see "No Hope for Humanity" with a serious cover and pick it up than I think it's safe to assume they're looking for a serious book and upon discovering yours to be comical may put it down. You don't wanna mislead the customer.

If I was you I'd go with either the dude hanging from the branch or your fat person in a mobility scooter.
IMO the fat dude in the mobility scooter is absolute gold. Or maybe a fat guy taking up several seats on a plane or in the cinema.
Defiantly something to do with morbidly fat people, because morbid obesity is hilarious.
Or maybe a fat guy on a mobility scooter going through a McDonalds drive-thru.

I can sketch up some samples if you like, unless you wanna go with a real photo.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
15-11-2013, 09:26 AM
I like Starks idea however you'd have to change it to a man. Otherwise it would be less funny. Statistically people find it easier to laugh at men, and find men more readily available for self parody. Also there's barely anyone out there who would stir up a fuss over a white male being portrayed in an embarrassing manner.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-11-2013, 09:39 AM
I also like those "selfie" shots - you can put nearly anything in the back ground and make it quite elaborate. You could even add someone in off to the side of all the mayhem, cracking up while very obviously reading your book - either bible critique or even this very book! Tongue

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post