Help design my new book cover, win a free copy! (This guy again?)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2013, 11:04 AM
RE: Help design my new book cover, win a free copy! (This guy again?)
(15-11-2013 09:26 AM)lucradis Wrote:  I like Starks idea however you'd have to change it to a man. Otherwise it would be less funny. Statistically people find it easier to laugh at men, and find men more readily available for self parody. Also there's barely anyone out there who would stir up a fuss over a white male being portrayed in an embarrassing manner.

Very good point. White male for sure. I picture middle age, slightly over weight......Louis CK, not to put too fine a point on it.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2013, 02:47 PM
(15-11-2013 08:56 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  The second from the bottom one of the dude hanging from the branch is good.
If the book is comical than you want a comical cover.
If people see "No Hope for Humanity" with a serious cover and pick it up than I think it's safe to assume they're looking for a serious book and upon discovering yours to be comical may put it down. You don't wanna mislead the customer.

If I was you I'd go with either the dude hanging from the branch or your fat person in a mobility scooter.
IMO the fat dude in the mobility scooter is absolute gold. Or maybe a fat guy taking up several seats on a plane or in the cinema.
Defiantly something to do with morbidly fat people, because morbid obesity is hilarious.
Or maybe a fat guy on a mobility scooter going through a McDonalds drive-thru.

I can sketch up some samples if you like, unless you wanna go with a real photo.

[Image: Fat+Guy+Riding+a+Scooter+_aa9d42ee71291c...a79c9c.jpg]

I actually am trying to use the hanging from the branch one so far. But my font looks terrible and I can't seem to keep the color scheme going around to the back.

[Image: 408094818.jpg]

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
15-11-2013, 03:01 PM
The search for the term "fat" have resulted in some interesting pics.

[Image: 408095071.jpg]
[Image: 408095073.jpg]
[Image: 408095075.jpg]
[Image: 408095078.jpg]
[Image: 408095079.jpg]

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
15-11-2013, 03:02 PM
I like Kim's idea. Mostly. But not with the person reading the book. (Sorry, Kim.)

But I think the "selfie" point is relevant and people tend to make awkwardly funny ones. And sprinkle sad, yet powerful and easily understandable "destruction" scenes around the girl or guy doing a hilarious duck face.

I'm sure a brave friend would be willing to help you with the selfie... And I bet you could have better luck getting permission to use photos from a fresh out of college photography student if, ya know, they took their own pictures of destruction. (Many are also versed in the art of Photo Shop, methinks.)

Either way, don't be too serious. I like the hanging picture, but the ones you posted seemed too serious for a comedy. If you go with that idea, at least spruce up the colors, otherwise people might assume it's some ironic self-help book.

I WANT TO READ IT!

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
15-11-2013, 03:07 PM
Free Stock photos (http://www.sxc.hu/) .. I used to use this all the time when I had classes involving photoshop... Not as good as like Shutterstock but okay.

Googlefonts has some freebees... I have ton that I play with but I don't really own them so I can't use them for anything like a book.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Ooooooo....I think peenit hit on something there....girl doing duck-face.

No, wait. I want the free book. Do MY idea.

Meh.....fuck it, I'll just buy it like the last one. All this thinking is starting to hurt.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
16-11-2013, 01:04 AM
I'm too lazy to do most of that stuff and I'm also impatient to just get the book out.

So I'm thinking of just going with this. The black motif would fit nice with my other book. The one where I also rushed the cover.

[Image: 408097475.jpg]

The back is black again with white textual humor and a new author pic.

[Image: 408097476.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
16-11-2013, 01:14 AM
Confused
That is just too horrific. Sadcryface

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
16-11-2013, 01:34 AM
(16-11-2013 01:14 AM)kim Wrote:  Confused
That is just too horrific. Sadcryface

But he's wearing a Santa hat so that represents our affinity for consumerism, right?

But I don't think anyone would want to be seen reading a book in public with that on the cover.

16-11-2013, 01:40 AM
Look at how his hair is just sort of sucked into the black hole of his belly button. Shocking

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein