Help find source for this or post some lores about Jesus[interesting ones]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2017, 01:30 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2017 01:37 PM by sea_tiger.)
RE: Help find source for this or post some lores about Jesus[interesting ones]
(12-05-2017 01:09 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Found it:

The Legend of Saint Dismas

Crazy Catholics and their stories. Rolleyes

Thanks a lot for finding the source.Smile

(12-05-2017 01:15 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  "Now, Egypt could only be reached by crossing a vast desert, which the Holy Family had to cross without much food or drink, for they were very poor.

The fruit was too high for Saint Joseph to reach, so the tree bent its branches so that Mary and Joseph could help themselves to as much fruit as they needed for Jesus and themselves....[SNIP]....Another time, when they had gone all day without eating, Our Lady, using her power as queen of the angels, commanded them to help with some nourishment. Thousands of angels rushed to help the Holy Family, bringing them heavenly juices and delicious food. They also walked with the Holy Family during the night, and their brilliance lit up the way as if it were a sunny day!"

Now that really beat the turning water to wine miracle.Drinking Beverage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like sea_tiger's post
12-05-2017, 01:43 PM

Herod grew afraid that this new King would cause him to lose his throne. Because of this, he ordered his soldiers to kill all the babies in Bethlehem, from those newly born up to two years of age.

Now, God the Father could not allow Herod’s men to kill the Infant Jesus, so He sent an angel to speak to Saint Joseph while he slept. The angel told Saint Joseph in a dream to take his family and flee with them to the land of Egypt, where they would be safe.

Nice helpful chap this God. Herod orders a massacre (allegedly) but God warns only one family.

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

[+] 7 users Like Norm Deplume's post
12-05-2017, 01:48 PM
(12-05-2017 01:43 PM)Norm Deplume Wrote:  

Herod grew afraid that this new King would cause him to lose his throne. Because of this, he ordered his soldiers to kill all the babies in Bethlehem, from those newly born up to two years of age.

Now, God the Father could not allow Herod’s men to kill the Infant Jesus, so He sent an angel to speak to Saint Joseph while he slept. The angel told Saint Joseph in a dream to take his family and flee with them to the land of Egypt, where they would be safe.

Nice helpful chap this God. Herod orders a massacre (allegedly) but God warns only one family.

Striking Herod with a Lightning bolt would have helped.Tongue
[+] 2 users Like sea_tiger's post
12-05-2017, 01:49 PM
(12-05-2017 01:43 PM)Norm Deplume Wrote:  

You would think a god might be able to convince a person to not worry about it and not kill anyone.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post
12-05-2017, 01:57 PM
Ah yeah, Herod ordering all the killing of babies, another NT story with no actual evidence of happening.

Even still, god didn't strike him down for killing those babies, but later would strike down his grandson on the spot for "not giving God glory".

Killing babies....that's cool. Not kissing god's ass? BAD!
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
12-05-2017, 01:59 PM
(12-05-2017 12:05 PM)sea_tiger Wrote:  Hello
This year I went to church for Easter Sunday.The priest said many things of which there are many things I don't recall except for this story [ but its missing minute details].
The priest said that this is a lore.
When Mary and Joseph took off to escape Herod they stopped at a house for shelter.There Mary asked the lady for bath water to wash baby Jesus.After cleaning Jesus she wanted to throw out the water ,but the lady asked Mary for the used water so that she could wash her baby with it.[Maybe she found baby Jesus to be divine].After staying for a while they left.

At the site of Jesus's cruxifixation .The good thief asked Jesus to remember him when Jesus came into his kingdom.The theif was the same baby washed with Jesus's bath-water.

I tried to google for the story ,but couldn't find it.Is someone familiar with it or its source? [The one I found was about a leper baby who was healed by bath water]

They should have thrown the baby out with the bathwater, as the saying goes.
Oh wait.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post
12-05-2017, 02:00 PM
Quote:You would think a god might be able to convince a person to not worry about it and not kill anyone.

From what I've read this particular God is fairly fond of killing himself... sooooo.....

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
12-05-2017, 03:31 PM
(12-05-2017 12:53 PM)unfogged Wrote:  So the water made him "good" but didn't stop him from becoming a thief?

Facepalm
Well clearly it made him naughty, not nice. Not sure why this tall tale would even be used by a believer to support their faith.
12-05-2017, 08:26 PM
(12-05-2017 12:05 PM)sea_tiger Wrote:  Hello
This year I went to church for Easter Sunday.The priest said many things of which there are many things I don't recall except for this story [ but its missing minute details].
The priest said that this is a lore.
When Mary and Joseph took off to escape Herod they stopped at a house for shelter.There Mary asked the lady for bath water to wash baby Jesus.After cleaning Jesus she wanted to throw out the water ,but the lady asked Mary for the used water so that she could wash her baby with it.[Maybe she found baby Jesus to be divine].After staying for a while they left.

At the site of Jesus's cruxifixation .The good thief asked Jesus to remember him when Jesus came into his kingdom.The theif was the same baby washed with Jesus's bath-water.

I tried to google for the story ,but couldn't find it.Is someone familiar with it or its source? [The one I found was about a leper baby who was healed by bath water]

Welcome young sea tiger. I recommend starting your quest for knowledge here, as a lot of your questions have been answered. Upon completion of browsing, feel free to ask me questions.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...rce-thread

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
13-05-2017, 06:38 PM
Sea Tiger. I got your PM, and tried to answer it but your mailbox is full. So I will post your question, and my answer here:

sea_tiger Wrote:Baptism is mentioned in New Testament [Jesus baptised by John the baptist].
I went to some Jewish sites but baptism is not a Jewish ritual.Where did it come from?
Why would Jesus need a non Jewish ritual?

The Christian rite of baptism has similarities to Tevilah, a Jewish purification ritual of immersing in water which is required for, among other things, conversion, but differs in that Tevilah is repeatable, while baptism is to be performed only once. John the Baptist, who is considered a forerunner to Christianity, used baptism as the central sacrament of his messianic movement. Christians consider Jesus to have instituted the sacrament of baptism. The key word here is "consider"...think along the lines of "in accordance with Christian tradition".

Although the term "baptism" is not used to describe the Jewish rituals, the purification rites in Jewish laws and tradition, called "Tvilah", have some similarity to baptism, and the two have been linked. The "Tvilah" is the act of immersion in natural sourced water, called a "Mikva" In the Jewish Bible and other Jewish texts, immersion in water for ritual purification was established for restoration to a condition of "ritual purity" in specific circumstances. For example, Jews who (according to the Law of Moses) became ritually defiled by contact with a corpse had to use the mikvah before being allowed to participate in the Holy Temple. Immersion is required for converts to Judaism as part of their conversion. Immersion in the mikvah represents a change in status in regards to purification, restoration, and qualification for full religious participation in the life of the community, ensuring that the cleansed person will not impose uncleanness on property or its owners.

It did not become customary, however, to immerse converts to Judaism until after the Babylonian Captivity. This change of status by the mikvah could be obtained repeatedly, while Christian baptism, like circumcision, is, in the general view of Christians, unique and not repeatable. Even the so-called rebaptism by some Christian denominations is not seen by them as a repetition of an earlier valid baptism and is viewed by them as not itself repeatable. Baptism has been part of Christianity from the start, as shown by the many mentions in the Acts of the Apostles and the Pauline epistles. Christians consider Jesus to have instituted the sacrament of baptism. How explicit Jesus' intentions were and whether he envisioned a continuing, organized Church is a matter of dispute among scholars.

Why did he need to be baptised? He didn't. He allegedly did (as per the fictional book called the bible) because it was fitting. Basically "setting the example"..let's review the fable:

Matthew 3:14 "John would have prevented him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?”

“Let it be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness” (Matthew 3:15). It is fitting. That is why he is doing it.

This is all according to the fable. remember, the synoptic gospels were not written by their namesakes (mark, matthew, luke and john) but by anonymous writers 30-70 years after the disciples deaths. So it is all heresay. No one who EVER wrote of jesus, knew him. Not even Paul.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post