Help find source for this or post some lores about Jesus[interesting ones]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2017, 04:49 AM
RE: Help find source for this or post some lores about Jesus[interesting ones]
I remember hearing a story in school about Mr Christ, from when he was first born.

The story, roughly as this was about 24 years ago for me, revolves around roman centurions trying to kill him as a baby [I can't really recall why]. Mary fled with Jesus into the desert, and hid in a cave. A spider then span a web over the entrance of the cave, and in the cold night it froze. This was all done like stupidly fast, as in "the spider knew to protect the LAWD", and when the Romans wondered past the cave and saw the frozen web, they thought "well there's nobody in there, as the web would be broken" and carried on...thus spider saves Jesus' life somehow.

Not in the bible to my recollection, but I remember that one as it was nuts.

"Whatever you say, Stone Cold Steve Austin." - Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
16-05-2017, 05:05 AM
(16-05-2017 04:49 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  I remember hearing a story in school about Mr Christ, from when he was first born.

The story, roughly as this was about 24 years ago for me, revolves around roman centurions trying to kill him as a baby [I can't really recall why]. Mary fled with Jesus into the desert, and hid in a cave. A spider then span a web over the entrance of the cave, and in the cold night it froze. This was all done like stupidly fast, as in "the spider knew to protect the LAWD", and when the Romans wondered past the cave and saw the frozen web, they thought "well there's nobody in there, as the web would be broken" and carried on...thus spider saves Jesus' life somehow.

Not in the bible to my recollection, but I remember that one as it was nuts.

It's an old legend that gets retold often. Often it's not Jesus but a soldier on the run from his enemies. Stories have an incredible durability. Jack and the Beanstalk? According to wikipedia it can be traced back 5000 years. Naturally when Jesus rocked up some of the stories were changed to reflect him as the protagonist. 3000 years from now I bet there'll be legends of Jesus the computer whiz.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
16-05-2017, 05:09 AM
(16-05-2017 05:05 AM)morondog Wrote:  It's an old legend that gets retold often. Often it's not Jesus but a soldier on the run from his enemies. Stories have an incredible durability. Jack and the Beanstalk? According to wikipedia it can be traced back 5000 years. Naturally when Jesus rocked up some of the stories were changed to reflect him as the protagonist. 3000 years from now I bet there'll be legends of Jesus the computer whiz.

Love it.

"And Jesus did say unto Mary 'Look Mother, I have sold the family cow for these magic beans, for they are sure to bring us good luck'. Mary said unto Jesus 'You bloody idiot' and did toss thine beans out of thou window. During the night, the lord almighty himself did bless thine beans, and a sprout did'uth grow until it reached the heavens itself..."

From my understanding, the old testament is a collection for pre-exisiting stories from various cultures/religions of the time, kind of compacted together to make it easier for people to convert to the "one" religion.

[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
16-05-2017, 05:15 AM
So if the story about Washington and the cherry tree isn't true then nothing about Washington is true. Is that the point? # unthinkingatheist
16-05-2017, 05:33 AM
(16-05-2017 05:15 AM)ColdComfort Wrote:  So if the story about Washington and the cherry tree isn't true then nothing about Washington is true. Is that the point? # unthinkingatheist

Feel free to post stories about Jesus that you think are true Smile

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
16-05-2017, 05:34 AM
(16-05-2017 05:15 AM)ColdComfort Wrote:  So if the story about Washington and the cherry tree isn't true then nothing about Washington is true. Is that the point? # unthinkingatheist
It just means we should question things a bit more, not instantly believe/dis-believe everything, [unless there is a real precedent to do so].

With Washington as an example:

I remember an old legend saying he had wooden dentures. Whilst he DID have dentures, they are not wooden. They are made of various things including other animals teeth/bronze and all sorts, which was probably about right for the time he lived in. He did, however, also have a second set of teeth that were made of the teeth of slaves...which is horrifying.

So does that mean Washington was a bad bloke? Or the real founding father of america that people "believe" him to be?

It's just worth taking everything into consideration before saying "THIS IS THE THING" , is what I'm trying to say.

[+] 3 users Like OakTree500's post
16-05-2017, 05:38 AM
(16-05-2017 05:34 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
It just means we should question things a bit more, not instantly believe/dis-believe everything, [unless there is a real precedent to do so].

I remember an old legend saying he had wooden dentures. Whilst he DID have dentures, they are not wooden. They are made of various things including other animals teeth/bronze and all sorts, which was probably about right for the time he lived in. He did, however, also have a second set of teeth that were made of the teeth of slaves...which is horrifying.

So does that mean Washington was a bad bloke? Or the real founding father of america that people "believe" him to be?

It's just worth taking everything into consideration before saying "THIS IS THE THING" , is what I'm trying to say.

Details here, regarding Washington + teeth.

[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
16-05-2017, 05:43 AM
(16-05-2017 05:38 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(16-05-2017 05:34 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  It just means we should question things a bit more, not instantly believe/dis-believe everything, [unless there is a real precedent to do so].

Details here, regarding Washington + teeth.
That's were I saw it Laugh out load

A Lot of the other stuff I already knew, but that one caught be off guard as something I thought i "knew" .

16-05-2017, 05:48 AM

If the story about Washington crossing the Delaware turns out to be supported by enough evidence to be believable does that mean that the story about his throwing a silver dollar across the Potomac should be believed as well?

I second MD's call for stories about Jesus that are true.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
16-05-2017, 05:54 AM
Bear in mind, once you do positively identify some story of Jesus that you think is true, the logical next question is why you think that Big Grin Hey why don't we start with the big one, do you think it's true that Jesus died and was resurrected for your sins? All those times you were in the loo jerkin' the gherkin, while your Dad patiently waited to take a crap, Jesus died for *you*.