Help finding a Bible Verse about loosing your faith.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Help finding a Bible Verse about loosing your faith.
Ok, maybe I'm remembering something incorrectly, (it wouldn't surprise me) but I thought I remembered someone showing me a Bible Verse concerning what a Christian should do if they feel a lack of faith.

I know it say to pray, (duh...it always says to pray)....but I really thought I remembered a verse that says basically..."Pray about it, keep your head down, conform, and PRETEND to believe....mouth all the right words, and if you do a good enough job LOOKING like you believe....faith will eventually come back to you.

Did I imagine that...or does such a verse exist?

THANKS!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2012, 04:31 AM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2012 04:34 AM by Mark Fulton.)
RE: Help finding a Bible Verse about loosing your faith.
(02-04-2012 10:41 PM)imlemuel Wrote:  Ok, maybe I'm remembering something incorrectly, (it wouldn't surprise me) but I thought I remembered someone showing me a Bible Verse concerning what a Christian should do if they feel a lack of faith.

I know it say to pray, (duh...it always says to pray)....but I really thought I remembered a verse that says basically..."Pray about it, keep your head down, conform, and PRETEND to believe....mouth all the right words, and if you do a good enough job LOOKING like you believe....faith will eventually come back to you.

THANKS!
Here is some of my rambling about Jesus and faith (apologies to anyone who's read this before)

Jesus
and Faith

Jesus made a lot of promises. He talked of
heaven, kingdoms, and miraculous events to come. As he couldn’t prove these
things would happen, he had to insist people have faith:

“Everything is possible for anyone who has
faith” (Mark 9:24, NJB). Everything is possible if one injects oneself with
heroin too, but that is an illusion that lasts only a few hours. One comes back
to a cold, hard world. Faith, like heroin, will never change reality.

Jesus stated,

“I tell you solemnly, unless you change and become
like little children you will never enter the kingdom of heaven” (Matt. 18:3,
NJB). Jesus was demanding uncritical belief, threatening anyone who doubted by
refusing them heaven. Resorting to ultimatums meant he had a weak argument.
This aptly demonstrates how the Gospels were written for an uneducated
audience, and what is more, were aimed at keeping them uneducated.

The Gospel authors were hoping Christians would
believe Jesus had all the answers. Children occasionally temporarily escape
from real life because they have very active imaginations. That is natural and
healthy, and does no harm. Adults, however, need to face reality to be happy
and successful. To have faith in Jesus is to avoid the real world.

Uncritical belief, otherwise known as faith or
superstition, is integral to Christian dogma. Without faith, Christianity
completely disintegrates, which is why the Gospels have Jesus praising its
value.

Faith insidiously precludes rational thought in
all facets of life. “Truth” becomes a spiel, not something inherently logical.
The faithful believe their future is out of their control, determined by the
whim of an unpredictable God, so neglect to be masters of their own destiny.
That is tragic.

Humankind failed to progress, and in fact
societies declined, throughout the dark ages, largely because Christian
churches actively discouraged logical thinking. Churches were not comfortable
with people reasoning for themselves, or with scientists discovering solutions
to problems, because any ideas not focused on a church’s doctrine were seen as
a threat to their power. This must stop.

There is a superior alternative to faith. A
person becomes mature, well-balanced, and successful by using rational
thinking. Society too makes advances in science, education, and law by
employing reasoned thought. Jesus, the puppet
philosopher, asks the individual and society to do something we should never,
ever do: abandon our sense of reason.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
03-04-2012, 04:59 AM
If you break it down it really comes down to a lot of psychology and if you're easily influenced it's really effective. Look how defensive people get when you question their faith. Have you ever talked with a theist and they get fuming angry, defensive and go "LA LA LA LA LA LA LA" when you say something that contradicts something they say?

- If you have strong faith you won't question your beliefs. (everyone else is wrong, you are right)
- If you question your beliefs you doubt god, and that's a sin. (obey or else)
- Punishment if you're judged and don't get into heaven is permanent torture in hell. You don't want to go to hell, do you? (fear, consequences)
- Satan will temp you with lies and make you want to doubt god. (don't question your faith, it's a lie, don't sin, sinning is bad, remember, that hell thing! Consequences, more fear.)
- Encouraged to go to church, keep yourself godly, etc etc. (usually ends up with you talking to a pastor encouraging you that what you're doing is right, don't listen to those darned atheists, they're the tools of satan! Reinforcement, continued support system.)
- Cherry picking ensues. Find everything you can find that agrees with your perspective, ignore the rest, it's evil and tempting and put there to challenge your faith. (more reinforcement)
- Encouragement to rid your life of "sinful things" (removal of anything that doesn't agree to isolate one's self from outside influence).

At least that's how it worked when I was a Christian. I'm sure the experience may differ from others.
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
03-04-2012, 10:40 AM
(02-04-2012 10:41 PM)imlemuel Wrote:  Ok, maybe I'm remembering something incorrectly, (it wouldn't surprise me) but I thought I remembered someone showing me a Bible Verse concerning what a Christian should do if they feel a lack of faith.

THANKS!
I know of no such premise in the Bible.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
03-04-2012, 11:25 AM
(02-04-2012 10:41 PM)imlemuel Wrote:  I know it say to pray, (duh...it always says to pray)....but I really thought I remembered a verse that says basically..."Pray about it, keep your head down, conform, and PRETEND to believe....mouth all the right words, and if you do a good enough job LOOKING like you believe....faith will eventually come back to you.

I'm quite sure there's no such phrase in the bible. Seems more like a phrase some priest said, though.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
03-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Praying for faith is like wishing for wishes to be true.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
03-04-2012, 03:37 PM
there's that Roman centurion who said something like "Lord I believe, help thou my unbelief"... his son was gonna get cured or something provided he believed. I can't remember ever hearing that preached about but I imagine that'd be a good verse to base a sermon around... or write a book about it. Who's that freak who wrote those other prayer of Jabez books? Made a whole book series out of two obscure verses of the bible, laughed all the way to the bank Tongue
03-04-2012, 08:18 PM
(03-04-2012 10:40 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I know of no such premise in the Bible.
Agreed. It just doesn't make sense, since the bible contains several verses that suggest you can't lose your faith.

There are only a few passages that even mention doubt, and as you can see with a quick browse, none of them address what to do when you doubt.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
03-04-2012, 08:59 PM
You spelt losing wrong. Just had to say it! Tongue

Sorry for being a Grammar Nazi!

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
[+] 2 users Like tazmin98's post
03-04-2012, 10:54 PM
>>>Sorry for being a Grammar Nazi!<<<

Damn! Ask a simple question and somebody has to drag the Nazis into it!

LOL...Actually it isn't a' "I can't spell", thing, it's a, "I can't TYPE" thing! (also can't punctuate for shit either)

Thank you all for your help. I guess it must have been in someone else's religious writings.l