Help for teenage - atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
12-04-2012, 08:14 AM
Help for teenage - atheists
I found a wonderful video on youtube today and I think it is really helpful for teenagers who became atheists and don't know how and if to tell their parents and friends.

I guess it does not work for all scenarios and families and religions but it is a starter, and a good one.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Leela's post
12-04-2012, 10:40 AM
RE: Help for teenage - atheists
I think this needs to be seen by more people.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
12-04-2012, 11:33 AM
A few "errors" in the vid.

"Parents loose children" proving religion is bondage.

What's with all the "respect" stuff. No need to respect your parents. Better word: tolerate!

"Would you want me to be a hypocrite?" Of course they would! Christianity is hypocracy! I know so many who have taken the religion of their husband/wife because they love them. I challenge this and they say "there are worse things than hypocracy". Fuck that!

Bizarrely, this is like "how to treat your parents like they are children" and it's sad that this vid is even necessary.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
12-04-2012, 01:00 PM
As long as your parents treat you with respect you should respect them back. Really. They are the one who care for you, feed you, give you a roof over your head and a shirt to wear. They teach you and educate you, they really give a lot. So at least they should get some respect back. If they start disrespecting you for the simple reason that you do not believe anymore, that is when you start tolerating them and move out as soon as you can.

And yes about the hypocrite stuff. they would like you to be one BUT they will not dare and say that because THEY don't want to look like hypocrites. And if your kid is smart enough to get out of religion and knows the word "hypocracy" it will also know how to spot it and answer smart when getting a stupid reply.

[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
12-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Ya this kinda suits me, I'm a teenager + closet atheist. However, my family isn't that strict on religion at all. Since around last year my brother has just stopped going to church, and my parents have no problem with it. I don't think I even need to come out because, my parents don't really care if I'm atheist or not.
[+] 1 user Likes Magoo's post
12-04-2012, 04:03 PM
sounds good Magoo Smile It's rare that parents are just cool with it.
btw I like your ava!! lots... just spent two hours relaxing with these blocks > just one more block

13-04-2012, 09:52 AM
(12-04-2012 04:03 PM)Leela Wrote:  sounds good Magoo Smile It's rare that parents are just cool with it.
btw I like your ava!! lots... just spent two hours relaxing with these blocks > just one more block

Ya I feel really lucky. Here in Ireland religion doesn't seem that strict, or at least what I know of anyway.

Yup gotta love minecraft Wink
17-04-2012, 01:21 PM
(13-04-2012 09:52 AM)Magoo Wrote:  Ya I feel really lucky. Here in Ireland religion doesn't seem that strict, or at least what I know of anyway.
Didn't you rather mean Iceland? Last time I checked Catholics and Protestants in Ireland attacked each others' children on their way to school. I know it's also a political and historical issue, you know, the oranges and greens.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
18-04-2012, 02:24 PM
(17-04-2012 01:21 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(13-04-2012 09:52 AM)Magoo Wrote:  Ya I feel really lucky. Here in Ireland religion doesn't seem that strict, or at least what I know of anyway.
Didn't you rather mean Iceland? Last time I checked Catholics and Protestants in Ireland attacked each others' children on their way to school. I know it's also a political and historical issue, you know, the oranges and greens.

Haha lol, I think you have a bit of catching up to
do. All that Catholic against Protastant rubbish in Ireland has pretty much stopped. You never here of people attacking each others children ever. And btw, what I ment by 'doesn't seem that strict', I meant people don't get disowned by their family's for being atheists and most people I know dont really care much about their religion Big Grin.
24-05-2012, 08:33 AM
I really loved the video, I was a closet atheist until a few days ago. My mom walked into my room while I wasn't there and looked at my youtube history on my phone O.o and saw I had watched a few Christopher Hitchens debates. It didn't go over well lol.

Carpe Diem