Help for teenage - atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
11-07-2012, 03:05 PM
RE: Help for teenage - atheists
Well if she tells you such things and she is already in the mood (that would now be my reaction) compare yourself with your other siblings. Ask her some things: 1. Is it better to be theist but drop out school, get in trouble and use drugs? 2. How does she know that you worship anything when the very definition of "Atheist" is, that you don't. Ask her if she saw you doing satanistic things, see satanistic signs, here words of worship? 3. Ask her if being there for her, helping at home, having good marks at school, not getting into trouble, is such a bad thing. 4. Ask her if she thinks it is a bad thing that you actually think before doing things instead of doing them because someone tells you to (follow the 10 commandmends or you will burn)

I have more of these questions, but I don't want to ruin your life. I just get so angry when I hear things like that, I want to open a drop in place for kids like you guys. Just to come and hang out, get yourself educated on the matter and prepared for situations like that BEFORE they arise... Darn I don't have the kind of cash needed for that.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2012, 03:20 AM
You wanna know what I would do? I would say that I am so very sorry and I will start going to church again. I would start praying before every meal and before going to bed, loud so that she may hear me. At the same time I would start (at least pretend) using drugs, smoking pot, cigarettes... I would stop going to school and I would make something stupid, so that the police has to give me a ride home. Then I would ask her if she really wants me to be like the rest of the family, God worshipping trouble-makers.

But that is just me, you have to find your own way of showing her how you are not a demon and how unchristian it is to bash you for your beliefs, or the lack of it. If only you could find a normal priest, that one in a million, that would explain it all to your mother, but this is a quest for Dungeons and Dragons, not real life.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
31-01-2013, 02:07 AM
(11-07-2012 03:05 PM)Leela Wrote:  Well if she tells you such things and she is already in the mood (that would now be my reaction) compare yourself with your other siblings. Ask her some things: 1. Is it better to be theist but drop out school, get in trouble and use drugs? 2. How does she know that you worship anything when the very definition of "Atheist" is, that you don't. Ask her if she saw you doing satanistic things, see satanistic signs, here words of worship? 3. Ask her if being there for her, helping at home, having good marks at school, not getting into trouble, is such a bad thing. 4. Ask her if she thinks it is a bad thing that you actually think before doing things instead of doing them because someone tells you to (follow the 10 commandmends or you will burn)

I have more of these questions, but I don't want to ruin your life. I just get so angry when I hear things like that, I want to open a drop in place for kids like you guys. Just to come and hang out, get yourself educated on the matter and prepared for situations like that BEFORE they arise... Darn I don't have the kind of cash needed for that.
Well it has been a while and I did feel as though I left something out not replying back to this thread on this particular subject. Anyway lets just say no matter how reasonable you might be its impossible to get through everyone but I did decide to become the bigger person and just attend church regularly. Although ill be honest not to much has changed but there is no point in making my life more difficult when I understand things more then enough to make it better. I have no idea if my mom would accept the fact that I am atheist but I guess i can understand how hard things were for her growing up and how she did turn to god in her time of need which apparently got her through those times. Thank you for your advice and it really does help knowing that I can find plenty of support from other people.
31-01-2013, 11:15 PM
(12-04-2012 01:00 PM)Leela Wrote:  As long as your parents treat you with respect you should respect them back. Really. They are the one who care for you, feed you, give you a roof over your head and a shirt to wear. They teach you and educate you, they really give a lot. So at least they should get some respect back. If they start disrespecting you for the simple reason that you do not believe anymore, that is when you start tolerating them and move out as soon as you can.

And yes about the hypocrite stuff. they would like you to be one BUT they will not dare and say that because THEY don't want to look like hypocrites. And if your kid is smart enough to get out of religion and knows the word "hypocracy" it will also know how to spot it and answer smart when getting a stupid reply.
I wish youtube existed when I was a teenager and could tell me how to handle my shit better. ^_^ I mostly just made fun of Christianity. Parents ended up sending me to shrinks, thinking I was possessed by devils, and my mom threw away a lot of my heavy metal records and fanzines (some of which would be collector's items now if I still had them).

But yeah, what Leela said. Sometimes you just have to suck it up when someone else is paying all your bills and taking care of you and shit. You can be your own person when you have your own home, until then, it's sometimes best not to piss off the parents TOO much. Where to draw the line depends on the specific parents in question. If you start disrespecting them too much, they have the power to make you life a living hell. Thankfully, one of my parents was more or less an atheist and I didn't have to go to church any more once I decided I didn't want to go.

As for what thedude said, some parents see atheism (in their children) as a sort of personal failure, like they failed to raise a "god-fearing" child. Some might see this as even worse than getting into trouble or acting out. Some parents even seem to think it's a way of being "rebellious," which is complete bullshit but some think that way anyway. All you can do, I think, is go out of your way to be an example of a good child, do stuff right in spite of all the bullshit, and eventually they might realize their error. Sometimes you can't change people's minds, you can only control what you do and how you act.

And if you go to church, sometimes it just serves to make you a better-informed athiest: you'll eventually come up with better arguments (in the appropriate time and place for such things), you'll know what these people claim to believe better, and you'll hear some more bible verses read in church. Any time I've been in church, I just took mental notes while playing along. Pretend you're anthropologist studying some weird culture. And find people online and elsewhere that you can talk to.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
01-05-2013, 11:37 PM
Well, I'd like to note before I begin, this is going to be my first post of perhaps many.

As a starter, I'm sixteen. My situation isn't anywhere near as escalated to the people who have told their parents above me. In fact, neither of my parents ever went to church much when I was a kid. Though that doesn't mean they're open minded. My parents had always given me some sort of pressure that I lived by; God is real, and I should be a good kid. I can't really say it was them bringing the pressure to be that. I just genuinely had the thought by myself that if I did not live in a manner they agreed with I would no longer be loved, or that they would not respect or think fondly of me, as a kid clearly wants from his or her parents.

As of the end of summer last year I have verified to myself as a true agnostic atheist. Not to say I had recently stopped being oblivious, but the fact was a number of mental factors that leaf to me being truthful to myself, and it had an extremely positive effect. I no longer suffered as badly from depression or anxiety.

I want to be able to tell them my personal, and rational, decision. But I do not believe I have the guts to disappoint my father as his only child (not anymore due to his new baby girl via his wife but I understand it to still hold the same affect). Least of all have him believe I'll go to Hell.

And my mother is another story all together. She has been slowly dying due to cancer in the last 4 years, and she would kill herself now if I were no longer apart of her life. I don't want to tell my mother for the fact that she has been progressively been getting worse and the fact that she is definitely baptist in the bible belt makes it impossible for me to do this without knowing that she would die disappointed or believing I would go to Hell. She would still love me, granted I know this, but I couldn't possibly put this on her when she has been near death for years.

This plan leads to my mother really never knowing me before she dies, which is something she has wished strongly in the last year, mainly due to the isolationism and indifference to family I learned from my childhood. This would also be terrible, but in a way by not telling her I would be protecting her. As for my dad, I am strictly afraid of what he'd think of me. He's judgemental when it comes to personal traits in my opinion.

I'd appreciate some thoughts; it's hard being an atheist in Texas. Family is difficult.
25-05-2013, 02:09 PM
I saw this video and I liked this.

PS : For those who live in the Bible belt , I can't imagine easily the difficulty of your situation.
24-06-2013, 05:18 AM
I'm in a bad spot. Both of my parents are hardcore Jesus and neither will let me get a girlfriend. I can't go out unless I say I'm going to youth ( which I leave shortly after they drop me off ). It's kinda shit I wish I had aetheist parents
24-06-2013, 06:58 AM
(24-06-2013 05:18 AM)Thetypicalbornagainhuman Wrote:  I'm in a bad spot. Both of my parents are hardcore Jesus and neither will let me get a girlfriend. I can't go out unless I say I'm going to youth ( which I leave shortly after they drop me off ). It's kinda shit I wish I had aetheist parents

every1 here wishes they have atheist parents.
My parents dont send me to friends,but when i say the magic words "its for school" than i get the permision to my friend

KC IS A LIAR!!!! HE PROMISED ME VANILLA CAKES AND GAVE ME STRAWBERRY CAKE Weeping
05-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Yea as hard as one may try, you can't convince anybody anything unless they are willing to take that information and apply it to themselves. I guess for anyone who is in something similar the best and most logical thing to do is suck it up and go to church. Honestly I was really younger when I told my mom I was atheist ,so I wasn't really aware of what would come of telling her that. Anyway, just let people do what they want and go about believe what you want to believe because the truth won't reach everyone....or ed-least logical facts.

PS: It never became a problem until I noticed my mom giving me worse and worse treatment throughout the course of a few months before she totally went off on me when I confronted her about the problem......I was not disrespectful at any point sense I was never like that to begin with its strange how just telling someone you atheist can totally jack things up :0
08-05-2014, 01:32 AM
How I wish I could hug all you teens going through this! My son is an atheist, and my daughter is undecided, more importantly, it's their choice.

I did not have a voice as a teenager either. I was also very easy going because it made my life easier, but I hated going to church at least 3 times a week, and was hardly allowed to do anything.

The only other thing I can offer is the reminder that soon enough, you will be old enough to decide for yourself. And, since your all smart enough to realize already that religion is poison, remember that they cannot control what you think. That's yours. You get to own it.

Hug

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain