Help in upcoming class debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Help in upcoming class debate
Well. It has come that time in philosophy class to have our debate on Theism v. Atheism.

I am not well equipped for this debate, as I have no free time to listen to the podcast anymore, or watch any debates. I'll watch Collision (Hitchens v. Wilson) tonight, and hopefully some Dawkins over the weekend, but I need help from the community.

I live in a town that holds the Guinness World Record for the most churches per capita in the world. I won't give away where I live but I believe there are 29 churches for the population of 6000. We are a very right-wing religious community. I need to be very present for this debate.

I need to stretch beyond my knowledge of religion and basically, win.

Help me guys! I want facts; facts disproving a God(s), disproving creationism, and disproving events in the bible.

I really appreciate it! Wish me luck as I debate 29 other kids in my class by myself. I know we have one Deist, but they still won't be in my corner 100% Sad
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2013, 05:07 PM
RE: Help in upcoming class debate
It's not anyone's job or place to "disprove" claims. The claim being made has to be defended and proved. And no person or organization has come close to proving their claims of the fantastical.

It's not your place to be "equipped".
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
21-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Don't try to convert anyone.

Your real audience are the silent waverers, the children who are having doubts.

Memorise this...

21-03-2013, 06:59 PM
(21-03-2013 04:52 PM)fauxhawkery Wrote:  Well. It has come that time in philosophy class to have our debate on Theism v. Atheism.

I am not well equipped for this debate, as I have no free time to listen to the podcast anymore, or watch any debates. I'll watch Collision (Hitchens v. Wilson) tonight, and hopefully some Dawkins over the weekend, but I need help from the community.

Prepare to argue from the atheist position and then debate from the theist position. ... The most interesting debates I've ever been involved with is when we switch positions and try to argue for each other's opposing points. That's what makes debating productive and enlightening.

Just because I'm an atheist doesn't mean there aren't people who should pray for their sorry ass to be saved.
21-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Oh! And make sure you can counter these arguments...

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
22-03-2013, 03:46 AM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2013 04:38 AM by Dark Light.)
You aren't going to "win". At best you leave the classroom with a bunch of people that really hate your fucking guts, but still believe in their god. That's the "best" outcome, if you argue well. On the other hand, let's presume for a moment that you go up there unprepared and nervous and don't have an answer and get railroaded the the rest of the class thinks you are a stupid bastard who is going to burn in hell. They might claim to pray for you, and one may even do so. They will walk away feeling smug and arrogant and will tell this story to all their friends and possibly post a dramtic retelling on facebook.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. Hell, I have no problem being hated, I'm used to it. I can be rather annoying because I am an over-analytical self-absorbed "know-it-all" and I'd rather be correct than a pleasant conversationalist. I'm not an asshole, and I respect people, but still, I know when I'm being overbearing.

Anyhow, good luck. My advise, be able to recognize and explain logical fallacies (this doesn't happen overnight, you get better the more you debate) and recognize that the theist has a burden of proof, if you are a weak atheist (aka soft atheist) then you have no such burden. Also recognize that nothing can be PROVEN not to exist.

There is and alien-zombie-robot-gay-dinosaur-space pope that controls the universe. Don't believe me? Prove he doesn't exist!

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_hypothesis

22-03-2013, 08:21 AM
What's the question?

Is it simply 'atheism vs. theism'?

Or is it a more direct question?: e.g. Does science refute god?; Is religion necessary?; Is it rational or reasonable to believe in god?, etc.

If it is a more narrow question, that will matter. If broad, the main point of attack from an atheist would be showing how unreasonable/irrational it is to believe in god; from the theist perspective, reiterate that you can't disprove god, and that religion provides something more.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell