Help lifting my grandmother's spirits

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2014, 05:12 PM
Help lifting my grandmother's spirits
A few of you saw in the whispering thread that my grandma broke her hip on Saturday. She is in her 90s, but was otherwise in good shape. Because of life, work etc, for everyone involved, I'm going to be taking over the hospital staying for a little while.

I have all next week off, so starting this weekend I'm going to spend as much time with my grandmother as I can. She was supposed to be moved to a nursing home two days ago, but her strength is fading a bit, and she's not eating well now, so they are keeping her at the hospital until things turn around. She really likes having someone there with her to keep her company.

I need advice on what I can do to help lift her spirits a bit. I plan on bringing some large print crossword puzzle books (she loves crosswords), and books for downtime when people aren't there with her. I'm also going to bring some cards to play a few games like we u see to when I was little. I just don't know that she will be able to do any of this. She's pretty wiped out most of the time.

Any other tips or advice? Things I can do? Maybe if I read the books to her instead?

Thanks in advance, I just want to help her as much as I can Undecided

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
28-08-2014, 05:15 PM
RE: Help lifting my grandmother's spirits
Is there music she really likes that you could bring in for her to listen to? Something to help muffle 'hospital' sounds. Can you being her a favorite pillow or blanket from home?

I know dad just liked knowing someone was there other than just staff. We did a lot of reading while he rested.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
28-08-2014, 05:21 PM
Pictures. Family pictures. Joint recall of special moments in your and her life.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
28-08-2014, 05:21 PM
When my Dad was in ICU and things weren't looking good, he was in/out of consciousness, and really not coherent but able to recognize us, I would visit and play his music on my phone. Pandora was great for it. He would tap his fingers or wiggle his foot to the music.

Google the top musicians and songs from when she was in her late teens- early 20's thru her 40's.

Hug

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
28-08-2014, 05:28 PM
This is such awesome advice you guys thanks a lot! I'll be at her house this weekend, so I'll pull out some of her cd's and make sure the music is loaded on my tablet. She got a new cd for her birthday that she was really excited about, and she hasn't gotten to listen to it yet.

Plus she's got two or three huge photo albums there we could go through.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
28-08-2014, 05:34 PM
(28-08-2014 05:28 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  This is such awesome advice you guys thanks a lot! I'll be at her house this weekend, so I'll pull out some of her cd's and make sure the music is loaded on my tablet. She got a new cd for her birthday that she was really excited about, and she hasn't gotten to listen to it yet.

Favorite food, drink, snacks?
I know that when I've been in hospital, the meals can often be unappetizing and served too closely together. There is that 14+ hours between supper and breakfast that can seem like days.
And, for me, coffee. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
28-08-2014, 05:38 PM
A little back rub, foot rub, whatever-portion-you-can-reach rub. Sometimes physical contact is more reassuring than words from the doctor.

Hug

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 4 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
28-08-2014, 05:40 PM
Dad asked for black licorice. The three of us kids didn't know he had mentioned it to all of us. Next day we showed up with about six different brands of licorice as we had all been on a mission to get him some.

He also liked having mints and chap stick. Maybe bring a favorite hand lotion or something like that too.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
28-08-2014, 05:43 PM
(28-08-2014 05:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-08-2014 05:28 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  This is such awesome advice you guys thanks a lot! I'll be at her house this weekend, so I'll pull out some of her cd's and make sure the music is loaded on my tablet. She got a new cd for her birthday that she was really excited about, and she hasn't gotten to listen to it yet.

Favorite food, drink, snacks?
I know that when I've been in hospital, the meals can often be unappetizing and served too closely together. There is that 14+ hours between supper and breakfast that can seem like days.
And, for me, coffee. Drinking Beverage

I've considered that, but since she's hardly eating to begin with I don't know if the hospital will want me to bring outside food, or if they will just be happy that she eats SOMETHING. I'll ask the nurses when I'm there on my lunch break tomorrow Thumbsup

28-08-2014, 05:44 PM
(28-08-2014 05:40 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Dad asked for black licorice. The three of us kids didn't know he had mentioned it to all of us. Next day we showed up with about six different brands of licorice as we had all been on a mission to get him some.

He also liked having mints and chap stick. Maybe bring a favorite hand lotion or something like that too.

Oooo she does love her scented lotions, thanks!!! Big Grin