Help lifting my grandmother's spirits

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2014, 05:47 PM
RE: Help lifting my grandmother's spirits
(28-08-2014 05:43 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(28-08-2014 05:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  Favorite food, drink, snacks?
I know that when I've been in hospital, the meals can often be unappetizing and served too closely together. There is that 14+ hours between supper and breakfast that can seem like days.
And, for me, coffee. Drinking Beverage

I've considered that, but since she's hardly eating to begin with I don't know if the hospital will want me to bring outside food, or if they will just be happy that she eats SOMETHING. I'll ask the nurses when I'm there on my lunch break tomorrow Thumbsup

As long as she has no health issues that restrict her diet they will probably be glad to see her eat. We brought dad little fruit cups and things like that.

Of course, make sure there is no medical reason she can't have something.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
28-08-2014, 06:51 PM
If she can get up in a chair, just a change of scenery helps a lot. Even those big reclining geriatric chairs have wheels and can be rolled down the hall. If you can get her out, get her near a window, she probably needs some VitD

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
28-08-2014, 06:54 PM
Hold her hand now and then.

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 3 users Like CiderThinker's post
28-08-2014, 06:56 PM
(28-08-2014 05:43 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(28-08-2014 05:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  Favorite food, drink, snacks?
I know that when I've been in hospital, the meals can often be unappetizing and served too closely together. There is that 14+ hours between supper and breakfast that can seem like days.
And, for me, coffee. Drinking Beverage

I've considered that, but since she's hardly eating to begin with I don't know if the hospital will want me to bring outside food, or if they will just be happy that she eats SOMETHING. I'll ask the nurses when I'm there on my lunch break tomorrow Thumbsup

It is the rare hospital that has food appetizing enough to appeal to someone 'off her feed'. Having things she likes to eat may well be the spark needed.

Also, bring food for the nurses. You will become their favorite visitor and your grandmother's care may benefit.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
28-08-2014, 07:03 PM
Chas had a great suggestion - the nurses and aids and therapists taking care of dad loved the cookies we got at a local bakery!

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
28-08-2014, 08:38 PM
(28-08-2014 05:12 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  A few of you saw in the whispering thread that my grandma broke her hip on Saturday. She is in her 90s, but was otherwise in good shape. Because of life, work etc, for everyone involved, I'm going to be taking over the hospital staying for a little while.

I have all next week off, so starting this weekend I'm going to spend as much time with my grandmother as I can. She was supposed to be moved to a nursing home two days ago, but her strength is fading a bit, and she's not eating well now, so they are keeping her at the hospital until things turn around. She really likes having someone there with her to keep her company.

I need advice on what I can do to help lift her spirits a bit. I plan on bringing some large print crossword puzzle books (she loves crosswords), and books for downtime when people aren't there with her. I'm also going to bring some cards to play a few games like we u see to when I was little. I just don't know that she will be able to do any of this. She's pretty wiped out most of the time.

Any other tips or advice? Things I can do? Maybe if I read the books to her instead?

Thanks in advance, I just want to help her as much as I can Undecided

Do you have any old family pictures or photo albums? As a caretaker, I know that the elderly love reminiscing and telling stories from years ago. The photos would be a great conversation starter. Grandparents love that you know! Smile

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
28-08-2014, 10:13 PM
(28-08-2014 08:38 PM)CindysRain Wrote:  
(28-08-2014 05:12 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  A few of you saw in the whispering thread that my grandma broke her hip on Saturday. She is in her 90s, but was otherwise in good shape. Because of life, work etc, for everyone involved, I'm going to be taking over the hospital staying for a little while.

I have all next week off, so starting this weekend I'm going to spend as much time with my grandmother as I can. She was supposed to be moved to a nursing home two days ago, but her strength is fading a bit, and she's not eating well now, so they are keeping her at the hospital until things turn around. She really likes having someone there with her to keep her company.

I need advice on what I can do to help lift her spirits a bit. I plan on bringing some large print crossword puzzle books (she loves crosswords), and books for downtime when people aren't there with her. I'm also going to bring some cards to play a few games like we u see to when I was little. I just don't know that she will be able to do any of this. She's pretty wiped out most of the time.

Any other tips or advice? Things I can do? Maybe if I read the books to her instead?

Thanks in advance, I just want to help her as much as I can Undecided

Do you have any old family pictures or photo albums? As a caretaker, I know that the elderly love reminiscing and telling stories from years ago. The photos would be a great conversation starter. Grandparents love that you know! Smile

Yeah, she's got three huge ones I can grab while I'm at her house on Saturday. I looked through them on my own around January. It'll be fun to go through them with her!

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
28-08-2014, 11:03 PM
When my mom was in the hospital I came in with some nail polish and painted her nails for her. She felt like a woman again after all the tubes and needles they stuck in her. It's silly but it made her nice.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
29-08-2014, 12:39 AM
great advice in the thread. I haven't been through a situation like this, but I offer hugs! Hug Hug Hug

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
29-08-2014, 04:58 AM
I definitely go with read books to her when her energy is low. My grandfather was legally blind and enjoyed audio books. Another thought, have her tell you stories of when she grew up. I wish we would have recorded my grandfather. They have experienced many unique things we never will. I hope she gets to feeling better soon! Enjoy your time off with her :-)

I tend to ask random questions, sometime stupid ones, but I can almost guarantee I'm smarter for asking than not.
[+] 1 user Likes Kemasyn's post