Help me. My niece is a theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2016, 12:53 PM
Help me. My niece is a theist!
Some help and advice please. My niece is a theist and very invested in her faith. She is young, but she has already declared that I am going to hell since I don't believe in Jesus. This makes me sad and rather uncomfortable. I wanted to find her Sunday school teachers, priests and who ever else could of pumped such fool notions into her head and give them a piece of my mind. Apparently she learned this on her own by reading that evil book. She also is uncomfortable about me talking to her about science, history and just about anything at all to challenge her faith.
I do not want to break with my sister and her children. They are important to me and my only life line in this overwhelmingly religious Texas town. What I need is some advice to turn her mind to a more rational way of thinking, not centered on that book of dark fables.
God did it is a terrible answer. That is something I want to cure her of. Is it too early, or should I work on it now? And how do I go about it gently, with out putting her on the spot. This is something I knew would come up, but I wasn't prepared.
Fear and loathing in Texas. Jeebs
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2016, 07:25 PM
RE: Help me. My niece is a theist!
(04-05-2016 12:53 PM)Jeebs Wrote:  What I need is some advice to turn her mind to a more rational way of thinking, not centered on that book of dark fables.

(04-05-2016 12:53 PM)Jeebs Wrote:  God did it is a terrible answer. That is something I want to cure her of.

She is not your kid. Don't discuss religion with her.

If she asks then tell her that you don't share Christian beliefs. If she wants Christian answers then she ought to discuss with her parents. If she is trying to convert you or trip you up or anything then just laugh it off and ask to change the topic. Tell her you find religion a boring topic and she ought to instead discuss it with her parents.
[+] 9 users Like Stevil's post
04-05-2016, 07:34 PM
Quoting this because this is the best answer:

(04-05-2016 07:25 PM)Stevil Wrote:  She is not your kid. Don't discuss religion with her.

If she asks then tell her that you don't share Christian beliefs. If she wants Christian answers then she ought to discuss with her parents. If she is trying to convert you or trip you up or anything then just laugh it off and ask to change the topic. Tell her you find religion a boring topic and she ought to instead discuss it with her parents.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
05-05-2016, 06:50 AM
I really think that attempting to deconvert a rabid theist is as impossible a task as trying to convert an atheist. I wouldn't be wasting my time trying to constructively discuss anything religion-related with your niece. In this case, discretion is the better part of valour, and I'd recommend continuing your connection with her but subtly avoiding any further in-depth discussion about religious topics—if at all possible.

And saying that you need "some advice to turn her mind to a more rational way of thinking, not centered on that book of dark fables" is far too confrontational. She most definitely doesn't see her faith as irrational, nor does she see her bible as a book of dark fables. For the moment at least, and as she's young, let her go along with her faith and beliefs, and wait until time—hopefully—mellows her outlook.

You're just banging your head against the proverbial brick wall at the moment, and you're only risking making a permanent enemy of her if you push it too far.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
05-05-2016, 07:14 AM
Introduce her to a cute young guy her age who's an atheist......

That'll keep her mind off the bible thumping for a while....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
05-05-2016, 07:31 AM
Tell her it's not up to others to be fearful of or expecting other people to go to hell. Otherwise don't push on her but if she's talking about it twist it to her understanding the flaws of judging someone else.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
05-05-2016, 07:43 AM
It's her life. If she want to waste it on belief then she has right to do it.

I see religion as idiocy, fraud and product of human hubris but I don't think that people should be "cured" from it. Theist have right to believe and honestly I couldn't care less about what they believe as long as they do not force their taboos onto others.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
05-05-2016, 08:31 AM
It's not your child. I have a niece and nephew of my own, they are still really young but I know when they get older their mother will start to bring them to church. My nephew (3) has already demonstrate his great interest in Outer space. His "Godfather" (me) bought him a toy rocket ship that never leaves his side. And his aunt (my wife) bought him an astronaut outfit that he apparently doesn't want to take off. With a great intrest in real life rockets and planets.

I'm assuming she's a kid. Just be there for her. If you see her struggling with a question, or makes a foolish statement correct her. Many people don't turn into atheist until they're in their teens. Just tell her when she mistaken and eventually it will seep in.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
05-05-2016, 08:44 AM
(04-05-2016 07:25 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(04-05-2016 12:53 PM)Jeebs Wrote:  What I need is some advice to turn her mind to a more rational way of thinking, not centered on that book of dark fables.

(04-05-2016 12:53 PM)Jeebs Wrote:  God did it is a terrible answer. That is something I want to cure her of.

She is not your kid. Don't discuss religion with her.

That entirely depends on her age. If she is 18+, then go for it.

Quote:If she asks then tell her that you don't share Christian beliefs. If she wants Christian answers then she ought to discuss with her parents. If she is trying to convert you or trip you up or anything then just laugh it off and ask to change the topic. Tell her you find religion a boring topic and she ought to instead discuss it with her parents.

I'd suggest saying you find religion a ridiculous topic.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
06-05-2016, 04:17 AM
There was good advice here, thank you all.
My thinking was clouded by my own biases. I will take it one day at a time And be there for her when she asks questions the Bible can't answer.
At the end of the day I want her to know how to think, not what to think. I don't want to be a mental bully. Reading these posts reminded me of that.
[+] 2 users Like Jeebs's post