Help me buy a car.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Help me buy a car.
So I gotta replace my 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe that got totaled. State Farm, much to my surprise and satisfaction, did not try to low ball me on the replacement value. Think I'm gonna stick with them. But now I gotta replace it. I like Hyundai. They got the best value for the dollar, they hold their value well and they got like the best warranty on the planet. And their cars are built in Kentucky so it don't really bother me that they're engineered and designed in South Korea.

I normally don't like buying used cars unless I'm buying from a friend or colleague who is typically an engineer who I know takes care of his shit and has maintenance records to prove it. But I'm torn between this used 2013 Santa Fe with 8450 miles on it priced anywhere from 6-10K less than a comparable new 2013 Santa Fe and a new 2013 Tucson which is slightly smaller but still seats 5 and is in the same price range.

Cars typically got like a 7500 mile break in period, so the Santa Fe is for all effect still new, just broken in. I trust this dealer, he don't play games. There's no bartering or bickering, the price is the price and he's always lower than any of his competitors. I'm leaning towards the nused Santa Fe, any reason you can think of not to?

This is not my signature.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2013, 07:10 PM
RE: Help me buy a car.
Nope. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
19-06-2013, 07:14 PM
Blue is perdy. Buy the blue one.
How's THAT for help ? Big Grin

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating Yogi, CAAT-LY.
Living daily with the high tragedy of being #2 on Laramie Hirsch's ignore list.
19-06-2013, 07:19 PM
(19-06-2013 07:05 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  So I gotta replace my 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe that got totaled. State Farm, much to my surprise and satisfaction, did not try to low ball me on the replacement value. Think I'm gonna stick with them. But now I gotta replace it. I like Hyundai. They got the best value for the dollar, they hold their value well and they got like the best warranty on the planet. And their cars are built in Kentucky so it don't really bother me that they're engineered and designed in South Korea.

I normally don't like buying used cars unless I'm buying from a friend or colleague who is typically an engineer who I know takes care of his shit and has maintenance records to prove it. But I'm torn between this used 2013 Santa Fe with 8450 miles on it priced anywhere from 6-10K less than a comparable new 2013 Santa Fe and a new 2013 Tucson which is slightly smaller but still seats 5 and is in the same price range.

Cars typically got like a 7500 mile break in period, so the Santa Fe is for all effect still new, just broken in. I trust this dealer, he don't play games. There's no bartering or bickering, the price is the price and he's always lower than any of his competitors. I'm leaning towards the nused Santa Fe, any reason you can think of not to?

$1160 price difference for the new car...$1,160/8450mi = $0.14/mi

They are giving you 14 cents per mile discount when 25 is more reasonable. If the model is not the issue I'd take the new one every time.

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.” ~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
19-06-2013, 07:21 PM (This post was last modified: 19-06-2013 07:26 PM by GirlyMan.)
Useless pieces of shit. Cantor owns a canoe, he ain't owned a car in years and Bucky's Benz was bought by his rich ass daddy. Useless pieces of shit. ... Wait Cantor actually answered my question. Useless piece of shit Bucky. Tongue

(19-06-2013 07:19 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  $1160 price difference for the new car...$1,160/8450mi = $0.14/mi

They are giving you 14 cents per mile discount when 25 is more reasonable. If the model is not the issue I'd take the new one every time.

That's an interesting way to look at it. Thanks!

This is not my signature.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
19-06-2013, 07:22 PM
I would go with the Santa Fe because of safety ratings.

the Tuscon scored poor in one area and the Sante Fe scored good in it.

As you know...safety counts.

Insurance Institute for Highway Safety

Be excellent to each other and party on, Dudes!
19-06-2013, 07:23 PM
WAIT!!! Just noticed that it wasn't tested.....I retract. my previous post

Be excellent to each other and party on, Dudes!
19-06-2013, 07:25 PM
(19-06-2013 07:22 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I would go with the Santa Fe because of safety ratings.

the Tuscon scored poor in one area and the Sante Fe scored good in it.

As you know...safety counts.

Insurance Institute for Highway Safety

Good link B&A but they scored the same for the 2013 models, we can't compare the small overlap front test results because those weren't done on the Tuscon.

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.” ~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
19-06-2013, 07:26 PM
(19-06-2013 07:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Useless pieces of shit. Cantor owns a canoe, he ain't owned a car in years and Bucky's Benz was bought by his rich ass daddy. Useless pieces of shit. ... Wait Cantor actually answered my question. Useless piece of shit Bucky. Tongue

(19-06-2013 07:19 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  $1160 price difference for the new car...$1,160/8450mi = $0.14/mi

That's an interesting way to look at it. Thanks!

I'm just happy I didn't meet HoC and BB's fate!

19-06-2013, 07:30 PM
I wish I could help you. I know next to nothing about cars.

I'd go with whatever one came in the color I most liked.

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.