Help me buy a car.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2013, 07:32 PM
RE: Help me buy a car.
(19-06-2013 07:25 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(19-06-2013 07:22 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I would go with the Santa Fe because of safety ratings.

the Tuscon scored poor in one area and the Sante Fe scored good in it.

As you know...safety counts.

Insurance Institute for Highway Safety

Good link B&A but they scored the same for the 2013 models, we can't compare the small overlap front test results because those weren't done on the Tuscon.

many of those ratings hide details in the written notes about the tests, so while many cars will score 'good' you learn a bit more when you read the results of each test. SURVIVING a crash isn't enough for me...I don't want a major head injury or both legs crushed either. I read details before buying.

“Happiness is not the absence of problems; it's the ability to deal with them.”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2013, 07:34 PM
(19-06-2013 07:26 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(19-06-2013 07:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Useless pieces of shit. Cantor owns a canoe, he ain't owned a car in years and Bucky's Benz was bought by his rich ass daddy. Useless pieces of shit. ... Wait Cantor actually answered my question. Useless piece of shit Bucky. Tongue

That's an interesting way to look at it. Thanks!

I'm just happy I didn't meet HoC and BB's fate!

Well, my last car was a '66 Bel Air. Big Grin

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
19-06-2013, 07:34 PM
(19-06-2013 07:30 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I wish I could help you. I know next to nothing about cars.

I'd go with whatever one came in the color I most liked.

There's that nail thing we were talking about earlier...Big Grin

I'm so sorry MomSBB, please forgive me, really...I'm sorry Weeping I'm a shit, I know it.

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
19-06-2013, 07:37 PM
(19-06-2013 07:32 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(19-06-2013 07:25 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Good link B&A but they scored the same for the 2013 models, we can't compare the small overlap front test results because those weren't done on the Tuscon.

many of those ratings hide details in the written notes about the tests, so while many cars will score 'good' you learn a bit more when you read the results of each test. SURVIVING a crash isn't enough for me...I don't want a major head injury or both legs crushed either. I read details before buying.

You are absolutely right, I did not realize you could get the additional information until you mentioned it. I'll let Girly do the reading, we can't do everything for him you know.

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
19-06-2013, 07:43 PM
(19-06-2013 07:22 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I would go with the Santa Fe because of safety ratings.

the Tuscon scored poor in one area and the Sante Fe scored good in it.

As you know...safety counts.

Insurance Institute for Highway Safety

That's an excellent point, Archer. Manly and GBIII escaped sore but otherwise unscathed after a 60-70 mph vs. 20 mph rear end collision. Dunno what those "strength" ratings mean. Looks to me like they escaped unscathed by virtue of the fact that the car effectively absorbed the impact and crumpled from rear to roof to front without transferring the energy to its occupants. Think NASCAR designs racing cars like that.

(19-06-2013 07:25 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Good link B&A but they scored the same for the 2013 models, we can't compare the small overlap front test results because those weren't done on the Tuscon.

Looks like it hasn't yet been rated on the Santa Fe but the Tucson scored poor. Dunno what "small overlap" even means. You hit me on the left front bumper and sent me into a spin giving me side whiplash?

Breathing - it's more art than science.
19-06-2013, 07:48 PM
click on each test and it will take you to a written report, some have crash photo's so you can see how the car crumpled. The roof strength ratings are fairly new (last few years), and I think its mostly for rollover accidents and whether the roof will support the car when its upside down.

[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
19-06-2013, 07:51 PM
(19-06-2013 07:43 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Looks like it hasn't yet been rated on the Santa Fe but the Tucson scored poor. Dunno what "small overlap" even means. You hit me on the left front bumper and sent me into a spin giving me side whiplash?

From this
MALL OVERLAP FRONT TEST
OVERALL EVALUATION:

Structure/safety cage Injury measures Restraints/dummy kinematics
Head/neck Chest Hip/thigh Lower leg/foot

Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.

Good Acceptable Marginal Poor

TEST DETAILS:
The Hyundai Tucson was redesigned for the 2010 model year, and the Kia Sportage was redesigned for the 2011 model year. The small overlap frontal ratings apply to 2010 and later models of the Tucson and to 2011 and later models of the Sportage.

Structure — The driver's space was seriously compromised by intruding structure. The parking brake was pushed in 41 cm toward the dummy, and the steering column was pushed back 11 cm. Upper interior intrusion measured 22 cm at the instrument panel and hinge pillar.

Restraints/dummy kinematics — The dummy’s head barely contacted the frontal airbag before sliding off the left side as the steering column moved 14 cm to the right. Additionally, the seat belt allowed excessive forward excursion of the dummy’s head and torso, contributing to the head hitting the instrument panel. The side curtain airbag did not deploy, leaving the dummy's head vulnerable to contacts with side structure and outside objects.

Injury measures — Measures from the dummy indicate that injuries to the left knee and left lower leg would be possible in a crash of this severity. Head acceleration from the instrument panel hit is low, as is the risk of significant injuries to other body regions.

Watch crash test footage for this vehicle on YouTube
Tested model year and trim level only; see "Tested vehicle specifications" below
Left to right:

Action shot taken during the small overlap frontal crash test.
The dummy's position in relation to the door frame, steering wheel, and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space wasn't maintained well.
During the crash, the dummy's head and torso barely contacted the airbag before sliding off to the left, and the seat belt allowed the dummy to move too far forward, as is evident from the gap between the seat back and the dummy's torso.
Parking brake pedal (not visible), instrument panel, and door hinge pillar intrusion was extensive as the left front wheel was forced rearward during the crash. (The tire can be seen below the dummy's ankle.) This intrusion contributed to a significant risk of injury to the left knee and a moderate risk to the left lower leg.
it looks like a 30 degree hit from the front/side.

19-06-2013, 07:52 PM (This post was last modified: 19-06-2013 07:56 PM by Full Circle.)
(19-06-2013 07:43 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Looks like it hasn't yet been rated on the Santa Fe but the Tucson scored poor. Dunno what "small overlap" even means. You hit me on the left front bumper and sent me into a spin giving me side whiplash?

From this
MALL OVERLAP FRONT TEST
OVERALL EVALUATION:

Structure/safety cage Injury measures Restraints/dummy kinematics
Head/neck Chest Hip/thigh Lower leg/foot

Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.

Good Acceptable Marginal Poor

TEST DETAILS:
The Hyundai Tucson was redesigned for the 2010 model year, and the Kia Sportage was redesigned for the 2011 model year. The small overlap frontal ratings apply to 2010 and later models of the Tucson and to 2011 and later models of the Sportage.

Structure — The driver's space was seriously compromised by intruding structure. The parking brake was pushed in 41 cm toward the dummy, and the steering column was pushed back 11 cm. Upper interior intrusion measured 22 cm at the instrument panel and hinge pillar.

Restraints/dummy kinematics — The dummy’s head barely contacted the frontal airbag before sliding off the left side as the steering column moved 14 cm to the right. Additionally, the seat belt allowed excessive forward excursion of the dummy’s head and torso, contributing to the head hitting the instrument panel. The side curtain airbag did not deploy, leaving the dummy's head vulnerable to contacts with side structure and outside objects.

Injury measures — Measures from the dummy indicate that injuries to the left knee and left lower leg would be possible in a crash of this severity. Head acceleration from the instrument panel hit is low, as is the risk of significant injuries to other body regions.

Watch crash test footage for this vehicle on YouTube
Tested model year and trim level only; see "Tested vehicle specifications" below
Left to right:

Action shot taken during the small overlap frontal crash test.
The dummy's position in relation to the door frame, steering wheel, and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space wasn't maintained well.
During the crash, the dummy's head and torso barely contacted the airbag before sliding off to the left, and the seat belt allowed the dummy to move too far forward, as is evident from the gap between the seat back and the dummy's torso.
Parking brake pedal (not visible), instrument panel, and door hinge pillar intrusion was extensive as the left front wheel was forced rearward during the crash. (The tire can be seen below the dummy's ankle.) This intrusion contributed to a significant risk of injury to the left knee and a moderate risk to the left lower leg.
it looks like a 30 degree hit from the front/side.

That looks nasty!

Found this http://autos.jdpower.com/content/blog-po...-sport.htm

19-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Have you seen the Genesis? The styling is killer...

[Image: 2013-Hyundai-Genesis-Coupe.jpg]

I'm usually a Japan man when it comes to vehicles but thats a badass looking car, even if the intakes are fake.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
19-06-2013, 07:55 PM
I want a Tesla Model S.....actually I want a mini suv Tesla but those aren't out .....yet.