Help me buy a car.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2013, 12:18 AM (This post was last modified: 21-06-2013 12:23 AM by Dark Light.)
RE: Help me buy a car.
Hmmm...my wife totaled her aging sports car about a month ago. The insurance gave us a fair price of about 2500 bucks. I fucking loved that thing, but it did not hold its value. With me being a full time student doing the reserves and odd jobs for next to nothing, and her working at a call center making next to nothing taking on a car payment is out of the question for a few years. I convinces the wife (with additional convincing coming from damn near everyone we know) that she should take may relatively new girly car (from back when I made money) and I should take the dough and buy a truck. Now I must admit, I have never really wanted a truck until this year, but I feel manlier driving down the road in my pickup. I scored a great deal on it at 1800 bucks. It was well kept, though it has its fair share of dings, dents and scratches. I did need a truck for all the odd jobs I do, but I must say I see the appeal in owning one, even if you don't NEED one. Think of all the things you CAN do...towing a camper, hauling lumber and tools, buying large bulky items and furniture is no problem. My vote Girly, is get yerself a GirlyTruck ™. Stick a toolbox in the back, plastered with sailormoon and The Grateful Dead Stickers. Maybe a I <3 Justin Beiber sticker to thoroughly make the guy in the Home Depot parking lot give you that look (you know the one).

Oh, forgot to mention, I have checked out Hyundais, and as of 2012 at least, they have really upped their game, I was impressed with them more than anyone at the local car show last year. Car shows aren't something I normally go to mind you. I was dressed to the nines and ready for a job interview....then I realized I was there a day early (yeah, sometimes I'm an idiot). I didn't want to make my 1 hour drive (one way) for nothing, so I walked across the street to the car show. Salesmen were all over me, after all, who gets dressed up so nice for a car show? Laugh out load

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
21-06-2013, 05:05 AM
I would *not* put a Beliber sticker on my unit. Angry

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-06-2013, 07:08 AM
(19-06-2013 07:05 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  So I gotta replace my 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe that got totaled. State Farm, much to my surprise and satisfaction, did not try to low ball me on the replacement value. Think I'm gonna stick with them. But now I gotta replace it. I like Hyundai. They got the best value for the dollar, they hold their value well and they got like the best warranty on the planet. And their cars are built in Kentucky so it don't really bother me that they're engineered and designed in South Korea.

I normally don't like buying used cars unless I'm buying from a friend or colleague who is typically an engineer who I know takes care of his shit and has maintenance records to prove it. But I'm torn between this used 2013 Santa Fe with 8450 miles on it priced anywhere from 6-10K less than a comparable new 2013 Santa Fe and a new 2013 Tucson which is slightly smaller but still seats 5 and is in the same price range.

Cars typically got like a 7500 mile break in period, so the Santa Fe is for all effect still new, just broken in. I trust this dealer, he don't play games. There's no bartering or bickering, the price is the price and he's always lower than any of his competitors. I'm leaning towards the nused Santa Fe, any reason you can think of not to?

Ahahaha! If that were your first post on this board, your account would have been goooooooooooooooooooooone for no other reason than lather rinse repeat. xD

BTW, what's your ICQ handle? Laughat

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
23-06-2013, 02:00 PM (This post was last modified: 23-06-2013 03:14 PM by GirlyMan.)
(19-06-2013 07:14 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Blue is perdy. Buy the blue one.
How's THAT for help ? Big Grin

I bought the blue one ... 'cause it was perdy ... Blush ... Weeping

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
23-06-2013, 09:21 PM
(23-06-2013 02:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(19-06-2013 07:14 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Blue is perdy. Buy the blue one.
How's THAT for help ? Big Grin

I bought the blue one ... 'cause it was perdy ... Blush ... Weeping

Does that mean the Tucson? Consider

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-07-2013, 05:46 PM
So it was a good car, God rest its mechanical soul. But it got hit, flipped and totaled a month into what should have been a long and peaceful life. My fear? I put $5K down and the insurance company's gonna pay off the loan but throw me under the bus where I effectively leased a car for a month for $5K. Weeping But we shall see.

On the plus side, ManlyGirl and GB III once again escaped relatively unscathed other than skeletal/musculature issues. Guess I'm gonna buy another Hyundai.

[Image: IMG_20130717_141841_1541.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20130717_141828_652.jpg]

21-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Shocking

Angels must be real!!! Jesus! That's crazy!
21-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Looks repairable.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
17-08-2013, 01:25 PM
(21-07-2013 06:09 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Looks repairable.

Yup, for $26,000 or a $1000 more than it cost.

Ended up getting another Tucson, but this time ManlyGirl wanted the backup camera 'cause she got used to it with the rental. With that came a very cool panoramic sunroof in both the front and back row, a GPS navigation system and a badass Kenwood premium sound system.

After 2 total collisions in a month, the Catholic said she's gonna take it to a Priest to get it blessed. I said "Well you know my thinking on that, but it can't hurt. And why stop there? Have the Hindus and the Buddhists up the street bless it too. And hell, you might as well throw in the Iglesia Pentecostal Bethel Church and the Eglise Baptiste du Calvaire and the Episcopal Church of Our Savior across the street into the mix. And don't forget the 2 Unitarian Universalist Churches and Jewish Synagogues within walking distance. Might as well cover all the bases." She said, "Good point." ... ManlyGirl ain't a stupid Catholic. Big Grin

19-08-2013, 06:02 PM
(19-06-2013 08:51 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  
(19-06-2013 08:31 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Get a motorbike.

There ya go. I get 50mpg (and my bike is not fuel efficient), I'm faster than 90% of cars on the road (and my bike is slow), my insurance is practically nil...

Yeah cheap on gas and insurance, I used to have a 450cc dual purpose for driving in the dirt on weekends, I once avoided a crash by driving into the ditch and up the other side and then back onto the road, find a car that can do that...although I did also know a friend driving a motorbike that died getting hit by a truck so...

"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life." - Captain Jean Luc Picard

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Jean Luc Picard