Help me find books I'll actually enjoy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2015, 01:00 PM
Help me find books I'll actually enjoy
I'm very picky when it comes to books and lately I've been giving up on everything I start. Not many books excite me anymore.

I recently struggled through the Picture of Dorian Gray. It was interesting, but too long and philosophical for no apparent reason. I suffered with Dickens, Melville, Hawthorne, all of whom I had to study in uni. Really long books with no exciting moments.

I've read everything by Poe and many recommended Lovecraft. I tried the Call of Cthulhu, but I felt like the book just wanted me to feel creeped out and I found no essence. I'd take Poe's demented minds, deathly voices and romantic depictions over that Cthulhu stuff any day.

I love Tolkien, but I don't think I could settle for anything less than Tolkien in the fantasy genre.

I loved everything by Arthur Conan Doyle.

I tried H. G. Wells' short stories recently and loved them. When I tried the novels though I soon got bored and gave up.

I kinda enjoyed Joyce's Dubliners too.

Also 1984. Pretty intense stuff there.

I also wonder if there's anything noteworthy with pirates (my sister got me Treasure Island recently but I haven't bothered yet because it's an actual book and I can't read it on my phone at night :rolleyes: )

Oh and it's got to be fiction. Old or contemporary, I don't care, as long as it's good.

What I want: Excitement, intense moments, not for kids stuff, mystery, eloquence, substance, endings that keep you on the edge of your seat, plot twists, dark stuff.

What I don't want: Sappiness, verbosity, too much romance, robots, lasers, police, gangsters, drugs, historical/political stuff, "based on a true story" stuff.

I want something that's engaging from the first page.

Penny Dreadful and Black Sails are two of my favorite TV shows. If they were books, I'd love them. Mystery, suspense, violence, sex, dark stuff, plot twists.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2015, 01:05 PM
RE: Help me find books I'll actually enjoy
Borges? Kafka?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
Easy...

Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy......

It's what all the really hip froods read...

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
Earlier this year I read The Martian, which was turned into a feature film. The book is heavy on the science of surviving on the surface of a barren planet. I thoroughly enjoyed it, even though there weren't any aliens, sex, or fighting with blaster guns!

Currently re-reading Philip K. Dick's 1962 book, The Man in the High Castle (also just turned into a great mini-series on Amazon Prime). It's an alternate history novel with the scenarios of what would have happened if Germany and Japan had defeated the Allies in WW2 and split the US up between them. Lots of good mystery and drama, as well as some Eastern philosophy thrown in for good measure.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
01-12-2015, 01:13 PM
I love anything by H.P. Lovecraft. I also love William Trevor: the Collected Stories. Margaret Atwood's books are also a great read (esp. the Handmaid's Tale). I also love Kurt Vonnegut--any of his books are amazing.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
01-12-2015, 01:15 PM
I was recently reminded of how much I learned from and really enjoyed the "Noble House" series by James Clavell. If you haven't read any of them, "Shogun" is a good place to start, I also like Noble House a whole lot. I need to read Shogun again ... maybe over Christmas. It starts a little slow, but you'll be hooked before long.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
01-12-2015, 01:56 PM
(01-12-2015 01:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I was recently reminded of how much I learned from and really enjoyed the "Noble House" series by James Clavell. If you haven't read any of them, "Shogun" is a good place to start, I also like Noble House a whole lot. I need to read Shogun again ... maybe over Christmas. It starts a little slow, but you'll be hooked before long.

Funny, I just finished re-reading Shogun and am currently in the middle of Noble House. Tai-Pan will probably follow, along with King Rat.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
01-12-2015, 02:00 PM
(01-12-2015 01:56 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(01-12-2015 01:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I was recently reminded of how much I learned from and really enjoyed the "Noble House" series by James Clavell. If you haven't read any of them, "Shogun" is a good place to start, I also like Noble House a whole lot. I need to read Shogun again ... maybe over Christmas. It starts a little slow, but you'll be hooked before long.

Funny, I just finished re-reading Shogun and am currently in the middle of Noble House. Tai-Pan will probably follow, along with King Rat.

After you've read Noble House, the TV series *special* isn't bad at all. I liked it, but only cuz I had already read the book. I think someone gave the CDs to me once. But the TV series of Shogun was awful. Don't even waste your time with that one. I never made it past the first hour, and the book is so jam-packed with information on Japan, it's really great. Clavell has a great sympathy for Oriental Cultures. I read Tai Pan too ... couldn't think of the name. Never read King Rat ... let me know if that is good.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
01-12-2015, 02:08 PM
(01-12-2015 02:00 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(01-12-2015 01:56 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Funny, I just finished re-reading Shogun and am currently in the middle of Noble House. Tai-Pan will probably follow, along with King Rat.

After you've read Noble House, the TV series *special* isn't bad at all. I liked it, but only cuz I had already read the book. I think someone gave the CDs to me once. But the TV series of Shogun was awful. Don't even waste your time with that one. I never made it past the first hour, and the book is so jam-packed with information on Japan, it's really great. Clavell has a great sympathy for Oriental Cultures.

The TV version with Pierce Brosnan? I watched that again a few days ago. Clavell was involved and it stayed pretty close to the book which was good although they left a LOT out.

I also just recently re-watched the Shogun mini-series with Richard Chamberlain. I actually like that one as well; it also follows the book pretty well.

The Tai-Pan movie wasn't as good but mostly because they tried to cram a huge book into 90 minutes. The King Rat movie was also OK but also rushed.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
01-12-2015, 02:22 PM
(01-12-2015 02:08 PM)unfogged Wrote:  The TV version with Pierce Brosnan?

Yup. I really liked all the travel scenes of Hong Kong and surroundings.

Maybe I should give Shogun another go ... I had forgotten it was Chamberlain ... I liked him a lot in "The Thorn Birds" ... in fact I should get that set of CD's too ... I REALLY liked that. Although without the book, it would not really be understandable. The wierd relationship of the twins was never evident on the screen series.