Help me find books I'll actually enjoy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2015, 02:24 PM
RE: Help me find books I'll actually enjoy
Terry Pratchett's pretty decent, although some of his stuff did get kinda formulaic.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
01-12-2015, 02:31 PM
Anything and everything from James Herbert.

If you don't like graphic violence or sex, disregard my suggestion.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
01-12-2015, 02:48 PM
Here are few that I have read that you might like... Grass by Sheri S. Tepper - sci-fi; an old favorite of mine with sex, religious tension, dark and mysterious; great as a standalone novel but there are follow-up novels if you really like it; a little off the beaten path (but not too far, it made the short-list for a Hugo in 1990ish)

The Windup Girl - sci-fi; great,new author; great characters, action, violence, and kinky sex; has a Bladerunner feel to it.

A Song of Ice and Fire by G. R. R. Martin - The best of the modern fantasy genre; Plenty of sex, incest, bloodlust, violence, plot twists; It is the XXX-rated version of Tolkien's world. Mr. Martin rapes and pillages your mind repeatedly and makes you beg for more; down side is the dude may die before he finishes the story.

And just for a change of pace,
Cannery Row by Steinbeck - unexpectedly funny, a short and easy to read classic

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
01-12-2015, 03:19 PM
Hooold on you read on your phone instead of a real book?

I'll have none none of it. Damned if I'm going to support that.

I really like:

The Black Magician trilogy by Trudi Canavan.

The Witch Hunter trilogy by C.L. Werner.

The Redemption of Althalus by David and Leigh Eddings.

A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami.

Only Murakami isn't set in a fantasy world.
01-12-2015, 03:22 PM
(01-12-2015 01:00 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I'm very picky when it comes to books and lately I've been giving up on everything I start. Not many books excite me anymore.

I recently struggled through the Picture of Dorian Gray. It was interesting, but too long and philosophical for no apparent reason. I suffered with Dickens, Melville, Hawthorne, all of whom I had to study in uni. Really long books with no exciting moments.

I've read everything by Poe and many recommended Lovecraft. I tried the Call of Cthulhu, but I felt like the book just wanted me to feel creeped out and I found no essence. I'd take Poe's demented minds, deathly voices and romantic depictions over that Cthulhu stuff any day.

I love Tolkien, but I don't think I could settle for anything less than Tolkien in the fantasy genre.

I loved everything by Arthur Conan Doyle.

I tried H. G. Wells' short stories recently and loved them. When I tried the novels though I soon got bored and gave up.

I kinda enjoyed Joyce's Dubliners too.

Also 1984. Pretty intense stuff there.

I also wonder if there's anything noteworthy with pirates (my sister got me Treasure Island recently but I haven't bothered yet because it's an actual book and I can't read it on my phone at night Rolleyes )

Oh and it's got to be fiction. Old or contemporary, I don't care, as long as it's good.

What I want: Excitement, intense moments, not for kids stuff, mystery, eloquence, substance, endings that keep you on the edge of your seat, plot twists, dark stuff.

What I don't want: Sappiness, verbosity, too much romance, robots, lasers, police, gangsters, drugs, historical/political stuff, "based on a true story" stuff.

I want something that's engaging from the first page.

Penny Dreadful and Black Sails are two of my favorite TV shows. If they were books, I'd love them. Mystery, suspense, violence, sex, dark stuff, plot twists.

Did you ever read The three musketeers?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
01-12-2015, 03:24 PM
Eddings is not bad. Redemption of Althalus is def one of his better ones.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
01-12-2015, 04:27 PM
American Gods ~ Neil Gaiman. Modern Fantasy.
Follow the journey of "Shadow" a reformed convict. He is hired by an Old God only know early on as Mr. Wednesday. The old gods are worried because they are fading from peoples memories and worship. And being replaced by New Gods Technology, drugs, media, and celebrity.

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Sci-fi Comedy (6 book Series)
Don't Panic! And grab your towel. The story starts with Earth being destroyed. Yes there are robots and lasers, but believe me their is so much more. A journey around the universe, time and find out the answer to the ultimate question.

The Talented Mr. Ripley, Patricia Highsmith Mystery
Because everyone loves a really good liar — not to mention an ashtray as murder weapon. Best international crime novel from 1957.

I'm just assuming you've read them but if you haven't, and have been able to avoid all the talk.
Game of Thrones. George R.R. Martin, Fantasy
Winter is coming. And the powers that be are shifting. A fantasy where Magic is a thing of the past. Dragons are extinct. And no one is safe from the turning tides of power. Extremely gripping.

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever.Stephen R. Donaldson, Fantasy
Thomas Covenant is has lost just about everything in his life that he held important to him. His wife left him. He lost his job, and he is stricken with leprosy. And then one day he is hit by a truck. and he awakens in mystical world full of giants elves enchanted creatures. He tries to think rationally that he may be cause from suvare brain trauma, or the drugs they may have put him on after the accident. But for some reason everyone thinks he's some sort of chosen one. His hole journey is him denying what is in front of him.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
01-12-2015, 04:38 PM
(01-12-2015 01:13 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I love anything by H.P. Lovecraft. I also love William Trevor: the Collected Stories. Margaret Atwood's books are also a great read (esp. the Handmaid's Tale). I also love Kurt Vonnegut--any of his books are amazing.

I also like Vonnegut a lot, but he can sometimes be depressing as well as funny. Tom Robbins is like a less depressing Vonnegut (and just as funny), so I will recommend him as well. Like Vonnegut, he has never written a bad book, so anything with his name on it is worth reading. He's best known for Even Cowgirls Get the Blues, but his other books are just as good.
01-12-2015, 04:49 PM
The Circular Ruins.

#sigh
01-12-2015, 04:51 PM
The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon, a 3-in-1 trilogy. Hands-down the best fantasy trilogy I've read outside of Tolkien.

If you haven't read The Silmarillion, of course, I highly recommend that one, too. My favorite fantasy story, period, is contained within it, but also comes in standalone format as The Children of Húrin.

I also recommend some nonfiction:

Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong by James Loewen (at least one of the chapters available in PDF format, here)

The Lucifer Effect: Understanding How Good People Turn Evil by Phillip Zimbardo (the psychologist who ran the Stanford Prison Experiment and friend to Stanley Milgram, whose famous obedience study he also discusses)

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson