Help me find books I'll actually enjoy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2015, 01:57 PM
RE: Help me find books I'll actually enjoy
(02-12-2015 01:20 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(02-12-2015 12:34 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  I loved their Belgariad, the malloreon, and the Elenium books. They were the first books that sucked me into a whole different world....loved them, bought them several times over the years.

http://www.orderofbooks.com/authors/david-eddings/

He's an interesting fella. One of his best books (IMO) is The Losers. It was his first novel, and is a bit of a heaven/hell allegory thing. Belgariad was good, by the time he got to Malloreon he was just milking it I think. Elenium also OK.

I've come across a book where he discusses writing the Belgariad and how he decided to write fantasy, it was interesting - he's a very self-aware guy. He knows his weaknesses as well as his strengths.

Belgariad book one (Pawn of Prophecy) has to rank as one of the best first novels of a series ever. I read it years ago from my school library - it was the only one of the series they had - and spent a happy next 15 years or so hunting down the rest of his stuff.

Oh my me! Just the past couple of days I was racking my already addled brain to remember Edding's name. All I could think of was the "Belgarath" and the "Malsomething" series. Big Grin

ETA: Also a big fan of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series of which the first book, "Eye of the World" would give Pawn of Prophecy competition for best first novel of a series ever. Thumbsup

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
02-12-2015, 01:59 PM
(02-12-2015 01:57 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(02-12-2015 01:20 PM)morondog Wrote:  He's an interesting fella. One of his best books (IMO) is The Losers. It was his first novel, and is a bit of a heaven/hell allegory thing. Belgariad was good, by the time he got to Malloreon he was just milking it I think. Elenium also OK.

I've come across a book where he discusses writing the Belgariad and how he decided to write fantasy, it was interesting - he's a very self-aware guy. He knows his weaknesses as well as his strengths.

Belgariad book one (Pawn of Prophecy) has to rank as one of the best first novels of a series ever. I read it years ago from my school library - it was the only one of the series they had - and spent a happy next 15 years or so hunting down the rest of his stuff.

Oh my me! Just the past couple of days I was racking my already addled brain to remember Edding's name. All I could think of was the "Belgarath" and the "Malsomething" series. Big Grin

Havent read them in prob 25+ years, never forgot them though, fantastic books, very visual.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
02-12-2015, 02:00 PM
If I recommend Brothers Karamazov will UGP slap me upside the head? Consider

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
02-12-2015, 02:02 PM
(02-12-2015 01:20 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(02-12-2015 12:34 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  I loved their Belgariad, the malloreon, and the Elenium books. They were the first books that sucked me into a whole different world....loved them, bought them several times over the years.

http://www.orderofbooks.com/authors/david-eddings/

He's an interesting fella. One of his best books (IMO) is The Losers. It was his first novel, and is a bit of a heaven/hell allegory thing. Belgariad was good, by the time he got to Malloreon he was just milking it I think. Elenium also OK.

I agree the Belgariad series was the best by far, seemed to be losing steam from there with the next two series, but still good. I think The first three books of Belgariad were the best fiction I had read...for me...of course I was young and easily impressed, but fell in love with the books...Polgara was a bad ass Smile

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
02-12-2015, 02:03 PM
(02-12-2015 01:59 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(02-12-2015 01:57 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Oh my me! Just the past couple of days I was racking my already addled brain to remember Edding's name. All I could think of was the "Belgarath" and the "Malsomething" series. Big Grin

Havent read them in prob 25+ years, never forgot them though, fantastic books, very visual.

Same here...and that's what I was thinking too...I couldn't remember the name of the Elenium series, but I was picturing some Knight dude who worked for some corrupt version of a church. Which made me remember the other two series.

I have something like 10,000 kindle books written before 2011. I'll have to go back and check if Eddings is in there and get started re-reading them! Thumbsup

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
02-12-2015, 02:03 PM
(02-12-2015 02:00 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  If I recommend Brothers Karamazov will UGP slap me upside the head? Consider

No, but I will. Laughat

~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
02-12-2015, 02:18 PM
(01-12-2015 01:00 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I'm very picky when it comes to books and lately I've been giving up on everything I start. Not many books excite me anymore.

I recently struggled through the Picture of Dorian Gray. It was interesting, but too long and philosophical for no apparent reason. I suffered with Dickens, Melville, Hawthorne, all of whom I had to study in uni. Really long books with no exciting moments.

I've read everything by Poe and many recommended Lovecraft. I tried the Call of Cthulhu, but I felt like the book just wanted me to feel creeped out and I found no essence. I'd take Poe's demented minds, deathly voices and romantic depictions over that Cthulhu stuff any day.

I love Tolkien, but I don't think I could settle for anything less than Tolkien in the fantasy genre.

I loved everything by Arthur Conan Doyle.

I tried H. G. Wells' short stories recently and loved them. When I tried the novels though I soon got bored and gave up.

I kinda enjoyed Joyce's Dubliners too.

Also 1984. Pretty intense stuff there.

I also wonder if there's anything noteworthy with pirates (my sister got me Treasure Island recently but I haven't bothered yet because it's an actual book and I can't read it on my phone at night Rolleyes )

Oh and it's got to be fiction. Old or contemporary, I don't care, as long as it's good.

What I want: Excitement, intense moments, not for kids stuff, mystery, eloquence, substance, endings that keep you on the edge of your seat, plot twists, dark stuff.

What I don't want: Sappiness, verbosity, too much romance, robots, lasers, police, gangsters, drugs, historical/political stuff, "based on a true story" stuff.

I want something that's engaging from the first page.

Penny Dreadful and Black Sails are two of my favorite TV shows. If they were books, I'd love them. Mystery, suspense, violence, sex, dark stuff, plot twists.
Forget the books honey. I can give you excitement and intense moments etc.. And we can do it in the dark.
02-12-2015, 02:44 PM
(02-12-2015 02:18 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(01-12-2015 01:00 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I'm very picky when it comes to books and lately I've been giving up on everything I start. Not many books excite me anymore.

I recently struggled through the Picture of Dorian Gray. It was interesting, but too long and philosophical for no apparent reason. I suffered with Dickens, Melville, Hawthorne, all of whom I had to study in uni. Really long books with no exciting moments.

I've read everything by Poe and many recommended Lovecraft. I tried the Call of Cthulhu, but I felt like the book just wanted me to feel creeped out and I found no essence. I'd take Poe's demented minds, deathly voices and romantic depictions over that Cthulhu stuff any day.

I love Tolkien, but I don't think I could settle for anything less than Tolkien in the fantasy genre.

I loved everything by Arthur Conan Doyle.

I tried H. G. Wells' short stories recently and loved them. When I tried the novels though I soon got bored and gave up.

I kinda enjoyed Joyce's Dubliners too.

Also 1984. Pretty intense stuff there.

I also wonder if there's anything noteworthy with pirates (my sister got me Treasure Island recently but I haven't bothered yet because it's an actual book and I can't read it on my phone at night Rolleyes )

Oh and it's got to be fiction. Old or contemporary, I don't care, as long as it's good.

What I want: Excitement, intense moments, not for kids stuff, mystery, eloquence, substance, endings that keep you on the edge of your seat, plot twists, dark stuff.

What I don't want: Sappiness, verbosity, too much romance, robots, lasers, police, gangsters, drugs, historical/political stuff, "based on a true story" stuff.

I want something that's engaging from the first page.

Penny Dreadful and Black Sails are two of my favorite TV shows. If they were books, I'd love them. Mystery, suspense, violence, sex, dark stuff, plot twists.
Forget the books honey. I can give you excitement and intense moments etc.. And we can do it in the dark.

Gasp

Shocking

[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
02-12-2015, 03:11 PM
(01-12-2015 01:00 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  What I want: Excitement, intense moments, not for kids stuff, mystery, eloquence, substance, endings that keep you on the edge of your seat, plot twists, dark stuff.

I think the Stormlight Archive series by Brandon Sanderson fits most of your criteria. So far he's put out 2 books (I think he's said it's going to be 10 total) and I loved them both. They're "epic fantasy". Cool characters, cool magic, cool villains, cool world, and a pretty cool plot.

Book 1 is The Way of Kings and book 2 is Words of Radiance.
02-12-2015, 03:24 PM
(02-12-2015 02:44 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(02-12-2015 02:18 PM)DerFish Wrote:  Forget the books honey. I can give you excitement and intense moments etc.. And we can do it in the dark.

Gasp

Shocking

[Image: 57873116.jpg]

~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post