Help me find books I'll actually enjoy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2015, 03:53 PM
RE: Help me find books I'll actually enjoy
(01-12-2015 01:00 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I love Tolkien, but I don't think I could settle for anything less than Tolkien in the fantasy genre.
How about Urban Fantasy?
(01-12-2015 01:00 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  What I want: Excitement, intense moments, not for kids stuff, mystery, eloquence, substance, endings that keep you on the edge of your seat, plot twists, dark stuff.
Check, the book I'm going to recommend has all of this stuff.

(01-12-2015 01:00 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  What I don't want: Sappiness, verbosity, too much romance, robots, lasers, police, gangsters, drugs, historical/political stuff, "based on a true story" stuff.
Downside series by Stacia Kane
Book 1 - Unholy Ghosts
Book 2 - Unholy Magic
Book 3 - City of Ghosts
Book 4 - Sacrificial Magic
Book 5 - Chasing Magic
looks like book 6 might be coming out soon.

This series does have lots of drugs though.
The hero of the book is a lady that is a drug addict. She is kind of an anti-hero in a way, you see her warts and all and she has lots of warts (figuratively).
And I guess in a way it has gansters.
Chess works for a church. The church of Truth where there is no god, only facts and truth.
There are ghosts too. They came and killed most of the people on Earth, now is the aftermath, this church worked out how to control the ghosts so the church now rules society. Chess works for the church, Her title is a "Debunker" unofficially she is called a "Church witch". The Church pays people compensation if their house is haunted, because it is the Church's responsibility to keep people safe from ghosts, so it is a failing of the church if you are impacted by ghosts. However because of this compensation then people try to trick the church into thinking their house is haunted. Chess comes in and tries to debunk them by showing that the house isn't haunted. If it is haunted then she needs to get rid of the ghost and pay the owners the compensation. That is her day job.
But she also has a job on the side. She is addicted to drugs and hence has a drug dealer that she gets her supply from. The drug dealer needs her skills for some ghost related problems and pays her in subsidised (or free) drugs to deal with the ghosts. She needs to work with his thug in sorting out this issue.
The story is a mystery adventure with lots of twists, it's very adult, very amoral with the hero being quite self destructive. There is a romance in it, and a couple of brief moments (Mills and Boon style) but for the most part the relationship is complex and far less than ideal.

What I liked about the books is that they are very engaging, very exciting, they take a stab at religion, they are raw and not moral at all. But it isn't a book that tries to shock you by pushing moral boundaries or with grossness. It just is what it is. The book is well written, Easy to get into and to feel for the main characters. The relationships seem somewhat realistic. The way Chess interacts with certain people are different to how she interacts with others. I think this adds to the book and seems to highlight to me a failing that other authors have in portraying a character as consistent regardless of who they are interacting with.
I do look upto Chess's boyfriend, he is not what you expect. The way in which he behaves is enlightening regarding his ability not to judge and ability to support and have faith in Chess even though she is a mess. It does make me consider better how I could approach my own interactions with my wife and children.
I loved the series. Book one was great, book two was even better and book three was much, much better. So intense.

Anyway it's my favorite series. A lot of girl fans online seem to go GaGa over Terrible, but it's not really a full on romance book. It's mostly about Chess and her adventures on these ghost cases and her difficulties with her drug addiction and self loathing, which impacts her relationships with other people. Online comments are all about the romance, but this isn't a romance book. Her "boyfriend" is quite often not her boyfriend. He isn't rich, he isn't good looking. He isn't even a "nice" person.

(01-12-2015 01:00 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I want something that's engaging from the first page.
Yes, I didn't find the series boring at all, ever.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
02-12-2015, 05:21 PM
Totally agree with your sentiments about the Belgarion, but I agree that the rest of his books felt like "milking it". As for the WoT, it's a fantastic series but hardly a page-turner. Kinda the opposite, in the middle books. I'm a huuuuge WoT fan, but it's a marathon, not a sprint. Sad

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
02-12-2015, 08:03 PM
(02-12-2015 05:21 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Totally agree with your sentiments about the Belgarion, but I agree that the rest of his books felt like "milking it". As for the WoT, it's a fantastic series but hardly a page-turner. Kinda the opposite, in the middle books. I'm a huuuuge WoT fan, but it's a marathon, not a sprint. Sad

I think the first 4 or 5 WoT books were page-turners for me. Things became more tedious with each book. I did a lot of skimming in the last couple of books. I'm not even sure I ever read the last book.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
02-12-2015, 08:29 PM
(02-12-2015 08:03 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(02-12-2015 05:21 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Totally agree with your sentiments about the Belgarion, but I agree that the rest of his books felt like "milking it". As for the WoT, it's a fantastic series but hardly a page-turner. Kinda the opposite, in the middle books. I'm a huuuuge WoT fan, but it's a marathon, not a sprint. Sad

I think the first 4 or 5 WoT books were page-turners for me. Things became more tedious with each book. I did a lot of skimming in the last couple of books. I'm not even sure I ever read the last book.

I reread the entire series last year, it was a slog by around book 8 or 9. He had too many side stories that went nowhere. The entire Faile getting kidnapped subplot that hung around for 3 books is entirely skippable, it had no direct impact on the plot and frankly just felt like padding.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
02-12-2015, 10:09 PM
(02-12-2015 08:29 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(02-12-2015 08:03 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I think the first 4 or 5 WoT books were page-turners for me. Things became more tedious with each book. I did a lot of skimming in the last couple of books. I'm not even sure I ever read the last book.

I reread the entire series last year, it was a slog by around book 8 or 9. He had too many side stories that went nowhere. The entire Faile getting kidnapped subplot that hung around for 3 books is entirely skippable, it had no direct impact on the plot and frankly just felt like padding.

That was what frustrated me the most about that series. He'd fuck off down some sub-plot alleyway for no reason whatsoever.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
02-12-2015, 10:30 PM
But the last book makes all the others worth it. Sanderson did an amazing job.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
02-12-2015, 10:33 PM
(02-12-2015 10:30 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  But the last book makes all the others worth it. Sanderson did an amazing job.

Well then I definitely didn't read it and need to do so post haste!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
03-12-2015, 02:08 PM
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I wish I could check out all of them, but at least I'll try!

(01-12-2015 05:06 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
[Image: 41shWIN%2BssL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

This is a must read, intricate politics woven with religion (and how you can use both to influence people) action, adventure, a love story, drama, and the more you read in the series the more the universe opens up. I recommend reading Frank Herbert's books first then going back and reading the son's prequels then his conclusion (based on notes from his father)

Hey, weren't you the one who recommended Lovecraft to me? Tongue Big Grin

(01-12-2015 04:51 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  If you haven't read The Silmarillion, of course, I highly recommend that one, too. My favorite fantasy story, period, is contained within it, but also comes in standalone format as The Children of Húrin.

I've read the Silmarillion a few times and the Children of Hurin separately and it is one of my favorites too! Smile
It makes me so sad that there's nothing left to read by Tolkien so I just re-read his stuff over and over Weeping

(01-12-2015 03:19 PM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  Hooold on you read on your phone instead of a real book?

I'll have none none of it. Damned if I'm going to support that.

It's not my fault, I mainly read books before I go to sleep and I don't have a bedside light and it's harder to hold a book than a phone Tongue
Don't get me wrong, I could never replace real books with a phone! I do occasionally buy real books too.

(02-12-2015 02:18 PM)DerFish Wrote:  Forget the books honey. I can give you excitement and intense moments etc.. And we can do it in the dark.

Blink

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 3 users Like undergroundp's post
06-12-2015, 03:28 PM
(01-12-2015 01:00 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I'm very picky when it comes to books and lately I've been giving up on everything I start. Not many books excite me anymore.

I recently struggled through the Picture of Dorian Gray. It was interesting, but too long and philosophical for no apparent reason. I suffered with Dickens, Melville, Hawthorne, all of whom I had to study in uni. Really long books with no exciting moments.

I've read everything by Poe and many recommended Lovecraft. I tried the Call of Cthulhu, but I felt like the book just wanted me to feel creeped out and I found no essence. I'd take Poe's demented minds, deathly voices and romantic depictions over that Cthulhu stuff any day.

I love Tolkien, but I don't think I could settle for anything less than Tolkien in the fantasy genre.

I loved everything by Arthur Conan Doyle.

I tried H. G. Wells' short stories recently and loved them. When I tried the novels though I soon got bored and gave up.

I kinda enjoyed Joyce's Dubliners too.

Also 1984. Pretty intense stuff there.

I also wonder if there's anything noteworthy with pirates (my sister got me Treasure Island recently but I haven't bothered yet because it's an actual book and I can't read it on my phone at night Rolleyes )

Oh and it's got to be fiction. Old or contemporary, I don't care, as long as it's good.

What I want: Excitement, intense moments, not for kids stuff, mystery, eloquence, substance, endings that keep you on the edge of your seat, plot twists, dark stuff.

What I don't want: Sappiness, verbosity, too much romance, robots, lasers, police, gangsters, drugs, historical/political stuff, "based on a true story" stuff.

I want something that's engaging from the first page.

Penny Dreadful and Black Sails are two of my favorite TV shows. If they were books, I'd love them. Mystery, suspense, violence, sex, dark stuff, plot twists.

After several pages of replies I'm sure you've probably found something by now.
Looking through the kind of books and plot lines you enjoy, I humbly submit my own book called Kindred Lives.

http://www.facebook.com/kindredlives

Facebook page contains links to the online book that anyone can read for free. It's 60 chapters (591 pages), so it's not something you'll get through over night.

I believe my book has all that you're looking for; Excitement, intense moments, not for kids stuff, mystery, eloquence, substance, endings that keep you on the edge of your seat, plot twists, dark stuff.

The book is fiction and it's also comic book DC Universe fiction.
Not sure if main characters with superpowers are up your alley, but if it is, then this is the book for you.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results