Help me out with this dumbass teacher

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2017, 11:40 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2017 11:53 AM by Jokurix.)
Help me out with this dumbass teacher
Hi!

What's up, since everybody always asks for some context and questions like "Where do you study?" I'm just gonna lay some context here.

This happens in:
- Brussels, Belgium.
- Last year of high school.
- Catholic School (although religious symbols are banned).
- We have a religion subject.

What I want, basically, is some defensive help from you guys. Specially about history.

You see, ever since September, this teacher has proved to me that he's a complete blind dumbass.

- First day of class he asks out if there's any atheists, from which only I raise my hand fearlessly. Ever since that day he always tries to find a way to put me in a spotlight through his dumb preaching questions.
- I've had about 6 religion subject teachers, none of these previous ones put me on a spotlight, they teach comparative religion and speak about justice/morals without even tying it to God.
- He has made very outrageous claims (like ladies who supposedly saw Mary and as doctors tried to put syringes in them and the needles broke magically)

Generally I always try to defend my position and say bullshit to his claims, but his favorite argument is interrupting me by saying "no" twice and then spewing baseless BS. Since that day I try not to even argue with him, but he keeps questioning me specifically.

On some things, I'm not big, like history. Since Easter is coming, he recently spoke to us about Jesus' resurrection. I told him I didn't believe in it, to what he responded "It doesn't matter if you believe in it or not, the historic fact is there". I almost said "Why don't you tell yourself that about evolution?", but I don't have knowledge of the historicity of Jesus and he'd dismiss whatever I say anyway.

But still, I want to know about this. My teacher spoke about us having records of Pontius Pilate executing him, that there were people who witnessed his death after he got stabbed by a spear and then saw him back alive...

Can you teach me what is historically accurate about Jesus and what is not, specially about the deal of resurrection, with sources if possible?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Jokurix's post
01-04-2017, 11:49 AM
RE: Help me out with this dumbass teacher
(01-04-2017 11:40 AM)Jokurix Wrote:  Can you teach me what is historically accurate about Jesus and what is not, specially about the deal of resurrection, with sources if possible?

The Jesus of the Bible did miracles and there is no historical evidence of such a miracle-doing Jesus existing at all. That much I know.

You're welcome.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-04-2017, 11:55 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2017 01:01 PM by mordant.)
The source of information about Jesus is the gospels, which are not eyewitness accounts; they are by tradition attributed to certain authors but in fact are anonymously written. The newest of them were written at least two generations after the alleged events of Jesus' life. The oldest, more like 3 generations (the Gospel of John, sometime around 90 AD). The four gospels have substantive conflicts with each other.

The gospel are, except for The Revelation, the newest books in the New Testament. Much newer than the oldest books, which would be some of the letters attributed to Paul. The latter were written some 10 or 15 years after the alleged events in the life of Jesus, yet, tellingly, Paul does not appeal to still-living eyewitnesses to Jesus like Peter, but to a "heavenly vision" -- a personal subjective experience in which god himself revealed correct doctrine to Paul. The Jesus Paul teaches about is more of a spiritual / celestial character than a flesh and blood god-man; flesh-and-blood Jesus was established decades later in the gospels.

There are virtually no secular writings corroborating the events of the gospels. The one that believers most often cite is a passage in Jewish Wars by Josephus, which is widely regarded by scholars as a "pious fraud", a later insertion by Christians to try to produce independent corroboration that simply didn't exist. Other secular references simply verify that there was an early Christian sect that claimed to follow Jesus, but do not corroborate the gospels themselves.

The above is a thumbnail sketch, but should serve as a start for your own online research.

Because of these and other factors it is my judgment that Jesus of Nazareth was either a composite character, or, more likely, a complete fabrication. Other unbelievers disagree with me, and believe Jesus was a real person, simply not the miracle-working god-man, but an ordinary and maybe more effective than average itinerant preacher who had a mythos attached to him.

There is no definitive proof that Jesus did not exist or was not a real person. Simple logic and an understanding of where the burden of proof for extraordinary claims lies, will tell you that this is really not even the relevant question. The relevant question is whether god exists or is a coherent, logical, and/or falsifiable hypothesis to begin with.

The short answer to that: an invisible deity such as the Abrahamic god is not falsifiable and therefore no one can take a justifiable knowledge position about its existence, for OR against. However, such a thing is highly unlikely, and there isn't a shred of evidence or logical argument which would lead one to think such a being remotely probable. People who make extraordinary and consequential claims about the existence, claims, and implications of such a Being cannot provide substantiation for them, despite the burden of proof being squarely upon them. Therefore, it is logical to withhold belief. It is unworthy of belief. It is not believable. So we do not believe it.
[+] 8 users Like mordant's post
01-04-2017, 11:59 AM
The part of the original account (Mark) where anyone is actually recorded to have seen Jesus after the resurrection is a later forgery.

Not that any amount of textual accounts could ever be enough evidence for someone coming back to life.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
01-04-2017, 12:22 PM
(01-04-2017 11:40 AM)Jokurix Wrote:  My teacher spoke about us having records of Pontius Pilate executing him, that there were people who witnessed his death after he got stabbed by a spear and then saw him back alive...

There is no record of Jesus outside the bible. We have records of Pontius Pilate existing but from there it's pure legend. There is no proof of Jesus having existed and no proof of him having not existed. In short, only the bible talks about him, but bible can't prove bible.

And don't let him take you down the road of Roman authors having confirmed the story. They didn't. All they did was saying that there's a sect calling themselves christians and worshipping someone who's been crucified. But history being what it was at that time, it's only them repeating what they heard from christians.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like abaris's post
01-04-2017, 12:22 PM
Jesus never converted/impressed/interested anyone who could write or hire someone who could write. NOTHING is original, all third hand at best when it comes to what he supposedly said. None of the gospels can be independently verified as been anywhere near the original statements for this reason.
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
01-04-2017, 12:59 PM
(01-04-2017 11:40 AM)Jokurix Wrote:  Hi!

What's up, since everybody always asks for some context and questions like "Where do you study?" I'm just gonna lay some context here.

This happens in:
- Brussels, Belgium.
- Last year of high school.
- Catholic School (although religious symbols are banned).
- We have a religion subject.

What I want, basically, is some defensive help from you guys. Specially about history.

You see, ever since September, this teacher has proved to me that he's a complete blind dumbass.

- First day of class he asks out if there's any atheists, from which only I raise my hand fearlessly. Ever since that day he always tries to find a way to put me in a spotlight through his dumb preaching questions.
- I've had about 6 religion subject teachers, none of these previous ones put me on a spotlight, they teach comparative religion and speak about justice/morals without even tying it to God.
- He has made very outrageous claims (like ladies who supposedly saw Mary and as doctors tried to put syringes in them and the needles broke magically)

Generally I always try to defend my position and say bullshit to his claims, but his favorite argument is interrupting me by saying "no" twice and then spewing baseless BS. Since that day I try not to even argue with him, but he keeps questioning me specifically.

On some things, I'm not big, like history. Since Easter is coming, he recently spoke to us about Jesus' resurrection. I told him I didn't believe in it, to what he responded "It doesn't matter if you believe in it or not, the historic fact is there". I almost said "Why don't you tell yourself that about evolution?", but I don't have knowledge of the historicity of Jesus and he'd dismiss whatever I say anyway.

But still, I want to know about this. My teacher spoke about us having records of Pontius Pilate executing him, that there were people who witnessed his death after he got stabbed by a spear and then saw him back alive...

Can you teach me what is historically accurate about Jesus and what is not, specially about the deal of resurrection, with sources if possible?

No, that ain't correct. Read the tall tales in the gospels about the supposed resurrection. All 4 gospels contradict each other badly as to what happened. Luke tells us, on the same day Jesus was resurrected, he arose to heaven from a village named Bethany. Mark says from a room in a house in Jerusalem. Matthew says Jesus went to Galilee, no rise into heaven. John has no rising to heaven. Acts says it was 40 days later he arose to heaven. And more. Nobody knew anything about this so they made up nonsense, and so contradict each other.

Check out the two tall tales about Jesus's birth. Matthew and Luke. Note the contradictions.

Really, just read the 4 gospels about what supposedly happened for yourself. Take nobody's word about any of this until you have read it for yourself. Do your homework. It's not hard.

If you don't have a Bible, read it online. Check out Mark 16, John 20, Matthew 28, Luke 24, Acts 1.

The Bible is not reliable and there were no trustworthy eyewitnesses to be found in the gospels.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post
01-04-2017, 12:59 PM
Hi, I am Christian who believes in Christ's resurrection and I will tell you that this teacher is lying to you. There is biblical claim that Jesus was resurrected. Is this a fact that Jesus was resurrected? I BELIEVE it is a fact.
You teacher says: "It doesn't matter if you believe in it or not, the historic fact is there". Tell him that this is just a claim and it is a matter of faith. You, my teacher, choose to believe that it is a fact, and I, your student, choose NOT to believe it is a fact".
Jokurix Wrote:But still, I want to know about this. My teacher spoke about us having records of Pontius Pilate executing him, that there were people who witnessed his death after he got stabbed by a spear and then saw him back alive...
Ask your teacher these questions:
1)Ok, we have a record that Pontius Pilate executed Jesus. I assume he executed more than one person. How does it prove Jesus was resurrected?
2)OK, people witnessed his death. How does it prove Jesus was resurrected? Tell him:" my ancestors also died".
3)OK, then witnesses saw him back alive. Those are claims. Tell him: "I claim that I saw UFO yesterday. Will you(teacher) say that it is fact?"
Tell him: "Teacher, you do not know what fact is, you only choose to believe that Jesus's resurrection is fact". You can also ask him how he knows that claims of the Bible about Jesus resurrection are true and not lies? Ask him how he knows this.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 9 users Like Alla's post
01-04-2017, 01:09 PM
This should give you some pointers to shut that idiot up.

[+] 4 users Like M. Linoge's post
01-04-2017, 01:57 PM
If he singles you out and tries to bully you from his position don't allow it. Use volume and rudeness. Ridicule him. Tell him he worships a zombie and that makes him a fucking moron. Stand up. Don't try to outsmart him. Out shithead the fucker.

If he wasn't using his position unfairly to his advantage to single you out for ridicule and silencing I would never recommend uncivil discourse. But in this case I say throw it back in his face ten fold. Shock him.
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post