Help me pick my gift to myself

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2015, 08:11 AM
RE: Help me pick my gift to myself
(22-03-2015 07:53 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-03-2015 07:19 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Do people still wear watches?
What is it they say? No device has any business showing the time if it isn't synched to an atomic clock somewhere?

Some of us wear watches because there is more to them than simply telling time.

Like decorating a masculine wrist attached to sexy forearms revealed by the rolled up sleeves of a button up. Swoon

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
22-03-2015, 08:58 AM
(22-03-2015 07:53 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-03-2015 07:19 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Do people still wear watches?
What is it they say? No device has any business showing the time if it isn't synched to an atomic clock somewhere?
Some of us wear watches because there is more to them than simply telling time.
Like GPS navigation and email?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
22-03-2015, 11:11 AM
If Near and I were ever to get married it will be a small, fun, party. None of that boring wedding shit.

Or elope lol
22-03-2015, 02:07 PM
(22-03-2015 08:58 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(22-03-2015 07:53 AM)Chas Wrote:  Some of us wear watches because there is more to them than simply telling time.
Like GPS navigation and email?

Growing up prior to the computer age we had one clock in the house and in order to know what time it was you had to get up off your lazy ass and walk into the front room where the clock on the wall was. The tv didn't have a clock, the refrigerator didn't have a clock, phones didn't have a clock, the oven didn't have a clock, the typewriter didn't have a clock and I don't remember the car having a clock either.

Clocks are everywhere now , time is everywhere and you can't get away from it. Even our shower has a goddamn clock in it, on some device my husband bought that's a radio/mp3/clock thingy hanging on the shower wall.

I'd like to take a break from time and clocks and don't understand why you'd want time attached to your wrist.......but whatever.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
24-03-2015, 07:09 AM
I've spent an excessive amount of time over my career with pieces of kit speaking the standard protocol for time synchronisation over the Internet, and an excessive amount of time figuring out why such devices are not working or how to get them working. It's pretty cheap to pick up a GPS receiver that uses those clocks circling us overhead to sync the time from and its easy enough to get time synchronisation to well within 10ms across a small network of machines. I've often wondered why smart phones don't use their GPS receivers to sync their time reliably rather than relying on often unreliable GSM network provider clocks.

I don't really understand the idea of having a clock that is less accurate than those sources, let alone one that is hanging off my wrist. I have typists hands. Putting a heavy weight on one side would mess with my flow.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.