Help me settle a bet with a Brit...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2012, 07:41 PM
Help me settle a bet with a Brit...
Ok, I'm in need of opinions from my UK peeps out there.

I have a good, albeit crazy, friend from Coventry, England. She insists that she knows of no one outside of America who finds Monty Python funny.

We don't really have a bet, but it's one of her buttons that I enjoy pushing to bring the topic up every now and then (when she's not in one of her crazy phases) and I would love to give her some empirical evidence of UK Python fans. Are there any?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2012, 07:43 PM
RE: Help me settle a bet with a Brit...
(10-01-2012 07:41 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Ok, I'm in need of opinions from my UK peeps out there.

I have a good, albeit crazy, friend from Coventry, England. She insists that she knows of no one outside of America who finds Monty Python funny.

We don't really have a bet, but it's one of her buttons that I enjoy pushing to bring the topic up every now and then (when she's not in one of her crazy phases) and I would love to give her some empirical evidence of UK Python fans. Are there any?

Canadians think they're funny. We're lumberjacks and we're OK...

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
10-01-2012, 09:20 PM
I agree with Chas. Python is pretty big over here in BC. I also think we have to count simply because we are still attached to the monarchy by the hip. For now.

The most common minus the black knight from the same movie but still my favorite Python gag of all time.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
10-01-2012, 09:20 PM
(10-01-2012 07:41 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Ok, I'm in need of opinions from my UK peeps out there.

Us Aussies are renowned for our bad taste by many; I think Monty Python is great.Cool
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
10-01-2012, 10:18 PM
(10-01-2012 09:20 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  

Us Aussies are renowned for our bad taste by many; I think Monty Python is great.Cool

Hell, you Aussies think Benny Hill is great.Tongue

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
10-01-2012, 10:40 PM
Benny Hill... man, flashback... Tongue

When I used to watch the Flying Circus regularly I didn't find it "laugh out loud" funny so much as "entertainingly odd." And I've got that dry sense of humor that gets more looks than laughs; so I'm thinking the British are all too "stiff upper lip" to do the loling. Wink

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
10-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Monty Python is big even in South Africa Smile
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
10-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Belgium here...
Belgium is full of knights who say NI!
As proof...
check the "favourite pictures for a laugh at religion section. I've posted a Monty-python vid long ago.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
11-01-2012, 07:47 AM
I'm from the uk and Ive never met anyone who doesn't like monty python.

I'm living proof. Congrats on winning the bet.
[+] 2 users Like FSM_scot's post
11-01-2012, 09:05 AM
Love him!
things like
"this is a dead parrot, it's seased to exist!"
or
"I wish to report a burglary"
Are phrases that stick with me Big Grin Just love it (but yes some of his sketches are just stupid, like the spam thing or the bavarian restaurant scene.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post