Help me show the light

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Help me show the light
I am an athiest in a very small town in Wisconsin (around 2,000) were 90% of the people around here are Catholic. I was Baptised as a Catholic but after a pedifliles showed up in our church (which were never forced to leave) and my father pulled my family out of the church. At a very small age I relized the BS of church and started to think freely. Now that I have all of this knowlege about the stuff the church lies about I am trying to show my friends the light. How do I do this? Can I have some scriptures from the Bible that show them how evil the book is? These people are devout that it makes them blind to the subject they teach at our school (one failed biology over evolution). Help me PLEASE!!!!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2012, 11:10 PM
RE: Help me show the light
(04-11-2012 09:42 PM)Fish Wrote:  I am an athiest in a very small town in Wisconsin (around 2,000) were 90% of the people around here are Catholic. I was Baptised as a Catholic but after a pedifliles showed up in our church (which were never forced to leave) and my father pulled my family out of the church. At a very small age I relized the BS of church and started to think freely. Now that I have all of this knowlege about the stuff the church lies about I am trying to show my friends the light. How do I do this? Can I have some scriptures from the Bible that show them how evil the book is? These people are devout that it makes them blind to the subject they teach at our school (one failed biology over evolution). Help me PLEASE!!!!

Could you tell us how old you are?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-11-2012, 11:27 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2012 11:46 PM by Janus.)
Quote:I am an athiest in a very small town in Wisconsin (around 2,000) were 90% of the people around here are Catholic. I was Baptised as a Catholic but after a pedifliles showed up in our church (which were never forced to leave) and my father pulled my family out of the church. At a very small age I relized the BS of church and started to think freely. Now that I have all of this knowlege about the stuff the church lies about I am trying to show my friends the light. How do I do this? Can I have some scriptures from the Bible that show them how evil the book is? These people are devout that it makes them blind to the subject they teach at our school (one failed biology over evolution). Help me PLEASE!!!!

One of the big advantages of being an atheist is that you don't have to convert anybody to anything. You are FREE of all that BS now! Don't make the same mistake they did: don't push your views on them like they did on you. Let them all stew in their own broth and waste their time. You enjoy yours.

Already thought about what you're going to do while everybody else is praying or in church? You now have time for a new hobby!
[+] 2 users Like Janus's post
04-11-2012, 11:32 PM
Help me show the light
Welcome.

Here's a good place to start your studies.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...?tid=10221

Also, if you go to the The Thinking Atheist homepage, you'll find a section that points out questionable bible passages.

I also have an app on my iPhone called the Atheism Pocket Debater. There's another one I just found called Atheism 101. It's a free app if you happen to have access.

Otherwise, check out the forum topics and ask a lot of questions.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
05-11-2012, 12:12 AM
Don't bother. You can quote every bad verse in the bible and they will either reply "Well, that's the old testament." or "That was what god had to do back in those day because we were so primitive.". There is also the reaction of just tuning you out. I brought up the bible instructing you to take unruly children to the edge of town to stone them. I have also brought up a bunch of others. You just can't make people listen. The best bet is to start out with simple things. My nephews' grandmother is catholic and wants him raised that way. Fortunately his father is not religious and his mother doesn't attend church. It really does bother me that parents see pedophiles everywhere when they are out and about, but in church where they have actual pedophiles they willingly hand their kids over. They want the internet heavily censored and tightly controlled, but they refuse to stop attending the catholic church. Of course there are pedos at other types of churches, but I feel like picking on the catholics tonight.
[+] 2 users Like Birdguy1979's post
05-11-2012, 12:20 AM
Being a fairly new atheist with a lot of christian friends and family I think I understand where you are coming from. It has been very hard for me to watch from the outside. Friends that give money (tithe) to the church, even though they desperately need it, family that pray for god's guidance/protection in things big and small. I rarely went to church when I was no longer being forced to go with my parents, but I look back on all the time spent I spent in church listening to lies. What a waste!
I have tried talking to my friends and family about some of the things that I know being taught in critical biblical scholarship (I don't know much, but it's enough for me to leave religion behind - where it belongs). I have found that some friends listen, ask questions, but then ultimately end up getting defensive and hang on to their beliefs for dear life. Other friends straight up tell me they need their faith and god and that's all there is to it. At this point in time I sometimes will throw out a tidbit that is relevant to conversation, but nothing more. Deconversion is such a tricky thing. While having beliefs that are rooted in reality is better than the alternative, it can be very disorienting, scary, etc, to lose such an all encompassing belief system. I don't see any harm in encouraging them to know their own religion's history, or sharing things that you have learned. You never know what straw it will be that breaks the camel's back.
Since I only have a few atheist friends in real life I have joined FB groups and this board that I can feel connected to and learn from. Sadly joining everyone here in cyberspace feels more like living in reality than when hanging with theists.
[+] 3 users Like Noelani's post
05-11-2012, 12:33 AM
Here's a good starting guide I got from Luminon in this post:
http://i.imgur.com/H2baO.gif

[Image: H2baO.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Grassy Knoll's post
05-11-2012, 04:20 AM
The evil part? Everything after, in the beginning.... Big Grin

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
05-11-2012, 04:57 AM

(04-11-2012 09:42 PM)Fish Wrote:  I am an athiest in a very small town in Wisconsin (around 2,000) were 90% of the people around here are Catholic. I was Baptised as a Catholic but after a pedifliles showed up in our church (which were never forced to leave) and my father pulled my family out of the church. At a very small age I relized the BS of church and started to think freely. Now that I have all of this knowlege about the stuff the church lies about I am trying to show my friends the light. How do I do this? Can I have some scriptures from the Bible that show them how evil the book is? These people are devout that it makes them blind to the subject they teach at our school (one failed biology over evolution). Help me PLEASE!!!!

Why do you want to shine the light of atheism on them? Just to show them there's nothing? What is that supposed to do for them, for anyone. Sadcryface
Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2012, 04:58 AM

duplicate post: sorry.
Quote this message in a reply