Help me train

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2013, 09:53 AM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2013 10:05 AM by TSG.)
Help me train
Many people here appear to be very skilled at debating each other, and I myself can add points that I have heard before when online. However, I believe that I am nowhere near as good at debating theists as the other people here. If you are a theist, or someone else who is willing to mimic a theist, help me train for when I inevitably get into an actual debate. (This better be a legitimate thread.)

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2013, 10:21 AM
RE: Help me train
God 'cause bible.

They tell me I'm the shit, I'm like 'duh...'
[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 7 users Like earmuffs's post
31-08-2013, 10:29 AM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2013 10:35 AM by TSG.)
(31-08-2013 10:18 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(31-08-2013 09:53 AM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  Many people here appear to be very skilled at debating each other, and I myself can add points that I have heard before when online. However, I believe that I am nowhere near as good at debating theists as the other people here. If you are a theist, or someone else who is willing to mimic a theist, help me train for when I inevitably get into an actual debate. (This better be a legitimate thread.)

Well, you seem to have a very strong vocabulary for your age. I wasn't half as well speaking at your age.

When I comes to mimicking theists, well, what kind of theist do you want? The idiot theist who just says "gawd, gawd, burn in hell", copypasta theists who browse the net to find mumbo-jumbo theories to prove their bullshit, or the slighly less idiotic thiest who studies science just in order to "prove it wrong". Make your choice.

A theist who it is actually possible to debate with would be nice. Edit: Oh, and my vocabulary usually mirrors my current mood. When sullen or ready to write something important, my word choice and writing style is maximized. When casual, I write normally.

31-08-2013, 10:37 AM
(31-08-2013 10:33 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(31-08-2013 10:29 AM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  A theist who it is actually possible to debate with would be nice.

Well, just take earmuffs' challange and try to debate with his impression. Just remember, it 99% of these debates end with either side calling eachother poopyheads.

Especially with a ray of sunshine like Earmuffs. Very well. Earmuffs, LET'S GO!

31-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Oh you thought I was being serious? I was just being a dick...

Oh well, what the hell.

God exists 'cause bible.
The bible was written by men instructed by God. Before you say it was written by man, if you write a letter do you say the pen wrote the letter? No, you say you wrote the letter. The bible is the same, the man (or women, I dunno I've never read the bible) acts as God's pen.

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
31-08-2013, 10:49 AM
(31-08-2013 10:39 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Oh you thought I was being serious? I was just being a dick...

Oh well, what the hell.

God exists 'cause bible.
The bible was written by men instructed by God. Before you say it was written by man, if you write a letter do you say the pen wrote the letter? No, you say you wrote the letter. The bible is the same, the man (or women, I dunno I've never read the bible) acts as God's pen.

I hold here, another holy scripture which claims to be part of the same word of God as the Holy Bible, yet I am willing to bet that you do not follow it. Why shouldn't you? It is supposed to be translated by the word of God.

[Image: 21b94z8.jpg]

31-08-2013, 10:54 AM
Further, how do you explain the universe?
Scientists predict that everything, all energy that will ever be was compressed extremely small and than suddenly exploded.
aka, The Big Bang theory.
Even going by scientists predictions this sounds like a God like figure figuratively snapped their fingers and created everything.
Further, even going with the scientists theory about the big bang, where did this tiny ball of energy come from in the first place?
And how is possible that so much energy was able to fit into such a tiny space? Black holes, scientists predict are the densest objects in the universe, are nowhere near as small as this described tiny ball of everything.

It sounds like everything was simply snapped into existence out of thin air (or a vacuum in this case) which can only rationally be explained by a supreme God like creator. Something beyond logic and reason, something 'super-natural', capable of creating everything in an instant.

Getting closer to home, how do you explain life? Even scientists cannot tell you how carbon goes from a block of carbon to a living organism. It's like if your desk suddenly started moving around and growing. How do you explain tiny blocks of nothing forming into first life? It's almost as if some 'super-natural' force breathed life into these objects, made them form together and become living objects.

Quote:I hold here, another holy scripture which claims to be part of the same word of God as the Holy Bible, yet I am willing to bet that you do not follow it. Why shouldn't you? It is supposed to be translated by the word of God.

Mormonism was created by some dude in the 1800's IIRC. It is lies, simple.
If someone claims to have a cure for cancer and turns out to be a fraud do you dismiss all scientific cancer research? No. You dismiss the fraud as what it is, fraud.
It being a fraud has no bearing on the true faith being true.

31-08-2013, 11:04 AM
Also, if life was created by something other than an all watching God, than what is it's purpose?
If there is no God than there is no purpose to life. Tiny blocks of carbon would have no reason to form up and suddenly out of seemingly nowhere create this thing we call 'life'. Why would this happen let alone how?

31-08-2013, 11:19 AM
About the Big Bang, the fact that it isn't known where the original energy came from does nothing to prove the existence of any God, and definitely not an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, omni-benevolent, highly personal God who gave his son, who was actually him, to sacrifice himself to himself for a crime that he created so that you needn't suffer the punishment that he created for you. Science does not CURRENTLY know where the matter came from, but then again, science didn't know about Germs until the technology improved. Miasma was the leading theory on disease.

Once again, even if abiogenesis wasn't demonstrable in labs, that wouldn't prove an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, omni-benevolent, highly personal God who gave his son, who was actually him, to sacrifice himself to himself for a crime that he created so that you needn't suffer the punishment that he created for you. However, in this case, this CAN be demonstrated in labs. http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/ab...13609.html

Furthermore, how can you be so sure that Mormonism is fake? Joseph Smith said that an angel appeared before him. How is he less reliable a source of divinity than a book where it is unknown who the authors even are.

The purpose of life is to make more life. It is nothing more "spiritual" or "mystical" than that. You should consider yourself lucky that you even have the ability to have "spirituality." You are in many ways superior to worms; but then again, worms don't believe in God. Cool

31-08-2013, 08:49 PM
Sorry it's taken a while to respond, it was 6am when I posted last.

Quote:About the Big Bang, the fact that it isn't known where the original energy came from does nothing to prove the existence of any God, and definitely not an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, omni-benevolent, highly personal God who gave his son, who was actually him, to sacrifice himself to himself for a crime that he created so that you needn't suffer the punishment that he created for you. Science does not CURRENTLY know where the matter came from, but then again, science didn't know about Germs until the technology improved. Miasma was the leading theory on disease.

My point on the Big Bang is not to prove God, it's to demonstrate that you can't disprove God. Further, scientists leading theory on the creation of everything, the big bang (which as an atheist I don't actually subscribe too I might add) sounds very much like a super natural thing, ie God, creating everything.

Also, just because scientists don't know now doesn't mean they will in the future.
And maybe they don't know because they're looking at it wrong, aka; it was God.

Quote:Once again, even if abiogenesis wasn't demonstrable in labs, that wouldn't prove an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, omni-benevolent, highly personal God who gave his son, who was actually him, to sacrifice himself to himself for a crime that he created so that you needn't suffer the punishment that he created for you. However, in this case, this CAN be demonstrated in labs. http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/ab...13609.html

As far as I can tell they were only able to form increasingly more complex structures. I don't see how this relates to living organisms.
Further, God created life because the bible tells us so.

Quote:Furthermore, how can you be so sure that Mormonism is fake? Joseph Smith said that an angel appeared before him. How is he less reliable a source of divinity than a book where it is unknown who the authors even are.

Because Joseph Smith was a douche.
Again, it's fraud just fraud in any other thing. Take a conspiracy theory for example, how do you know Big Foot doesn't exist? There's that famous footage of the shadowy figure, how do you know that isn't real?
You know because the shadowy figure is a shadowy figure.. it's obvious it's a fake.
Same difference.

Quote:The purpose of life is to make more life. It is nothing more "spiritual" or "mystical" than that. You should consider yourself lucky that you even have the ability to have "spirituality." You are in many ways superior to worms; but then again, worms don't believe in God.

The "purpose of life is to create more life" isn't a purpose. That's like saying I'm going to the store and back and not actually going into the store but just drive there and back. There's no meaning behind simply reproducing.

Without God there are no morals.